How would you define 'Intermediate' or 'Advanced' players?

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Sealman, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Have seen various threads looking for Intermediate or Advanced players. How would you define 'Intermediate' or 'Advanced' standards?

Here's a sample (with due credit to Netasia):
    http://groups.msn.com/SingaporeMixedDoubleBadmintonGroup/_whatsnew.msnw

Going by the above definition, would believe most players from 'jurong twister' would be advanced players. But there are some who claim to be advanced players......:eek:

Enjoy the game. Cheers :D

PS. I hope this is the right place to post this thread.

2. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

i think this is a ok place to post this.
    As players sometimes looking for groups to join but they r not sure what is the meaning or the terms it means.
    But for the pg from Netasia, i think almost all r ok,
    as for the no of years experience play is not so true.
    Some players get to intermidiate slower, while some r faster.
    thks.

ceng

3. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

agree, it's very hand to have a guideline for "experience", but it does make a great difference when it comes to advance stage i believe(not there yet :p)

I think i shoud classified the gradings into 5 stage instead:
    amature, intermediate, advance, expert, professional. However how do you define an advance with an expert player? Professional can be classified as international players.

4. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    beginner - intermediate - advance, each level further breaks down to 3 level, low, mid and high.

beginner - either just play or know the game but inconsistant with shots and pretty much play with techniques the body deem appropriate.

intermediate - knows the game, knows the technique, quite consistant but lacks the commitment and consistant training to play real good.

advance - know the game, know the technique, consistant and train constantly.

I would categorize leisure players at high-intermediate maximum while professionals as advance.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Food for thoughts

This is an interesting topic. Over the past few months, I've seen quite a handful of players (regardless of age) claimed themselves as 'advanced' players. I contacted few of them and realised that they couldnt even stay close to a 'intermediate' player like myself. Though I was ex-Msia state player and US-state player, and currently CC player, I never consider myself any closer to 'advanced' level yet. Well, if u guys consider jurong-twister's players are 'advanced', perhaps I am one of them :D . I dont think we should use the term 'advanced' coz it meant you are inches from a professional level. However, I think the word 'experienced' would be more appropriate if you have played for state, national and CC (forget about school-level, kids).

IMHO, I rate those ex-National players as 'advanced + experienced' players as I'm playing regularly with them. Few of them (esp those 40s) are still the master of the game though I manage to give them a good run for the money.

Perhaps it's time for certain players look closely at themselves when they play against 'experienced' players.

cheerz,
    jimbo

6. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

i think to expert-pro. i not sure as they are quite to the same level.

ceng

7. jurong_twister

jurong_twister Regular Member

None
    frankly speaking, we will only rate ourself as low - medium intermediate players, but we are very happy to welcome advanced players into our group :D

we used to have 3 indonesian state players; 1 from ujung pandang & 1 from solo & 1 from surabaya who have ever trained at Djarum Kudus & Suryanaga.

our team consider them as advanced players, but they themselves dont think they are at advanced level yet.

i believe there is no way to define which levels that you are at. the best way is to come to the session that people are offering and judge yourself :crying::crying::crying:

8. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    Base on my definition, on a good day, im beginner-high, on a bad day, im beginner-med :crying:

9. Zongy

Zongy Regular Member

Student
    what do i count as?

intermediate ?i play 3 times a week in my scl team...so i think i should be that

10. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    well i dont know what i should call myself too.been thinking very long on what level i am,however judging from netasia's guideline i think i should be around intermediate.but to be humble a little maybe low intermediate.btu shouldnt state players be advance.my coach was a exnational so maybe he should be around the professional level.badminton is really his source of income too!!!

11. daz24sg

daz24sg Regular Member

Student
    I feel like coming down to learn from you guys. But Jurong is awfully far from my house in Hougang.

12. surge

surge Regular Member

there is no way to determine whether you are advance or beginner. it really depends on the group that you reguarly play with. when i started playing w my girlfriend i was beginner and she was advanced to me cos she is ex school team. then i got better and consider myself a intermmidiate player or above average.
    when i started joining different groups to play in this forum, i realised actually i am only beginner level cos some of them got so sick of my lousy skill and won even wan to partner with me. after about 2 months of playing with them ( thanks to some kind souls who are willing to partner me), i am now better and most of them are ok to partner with me now. then i join another group and realised i am back to beginner level to these ppl again. so now i think i will just rate myself as a recreational player.:) as long as when i play with them i get to exercise and run and they dun mind my skills, i keep on playing......:D

sometimes i wish my waistline behaves like BG66 that will lose a few lbs after just a few games:rolleyes:

13. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

lol surge, I loss about 5.5kg playing 4 times a week for only 2 month plus.

Different double partner plays and demand differently, so your skill might be a true int level, but can't perform as such because both of you are not sure how to cover each other. If possible try fixing a partner which is around your level and start building the "understanding".

The guideline that I had set is only valid for your stroke, not the way on how you play in the court. There are more things to consider to classify oneself, such as court-craft, ball anticipation, consistantcy, ability to spot "no man lands" etc...