Can someone explain grips? (not holding racket, the actual grips on racket)

Discussion in 'Grip' started by exalted, Jan 18, 2005.

1. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I don't really like using the towelgrips, but as i've only played for a little bit that may change - I tried out the yonex muscle power grips I believe and felt that they lost tackyness really quick and wasn't very thick as a Victor grip that was given to me.

Any info on this subject in general is appreciated. Another question i have is, when I took out the towelgrip off my racket (got it used), I saw wood on the bottom, is this normal? It seems fine but a "yes, it is" would reassure me more.

Thanks.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There are 2 ways i can think now, to protect the wood when removing grips:

1. Use a hair blower to "heat" up the handle for a little while (2-3 min), then remove the grip. This way, the glue on the bottom are melted, and not too sticky any more.

2. Before wrap up the new grip next time, wrap a layer of "food wrap" on the handle 1st. It's very cheap and thin, effectively protect the wood, as when u remove the grip, the food wrap will go with it, not the wood.

3. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    The wood on towel...? It really depends... But most towel grips have very strong tapes..so its kinda hard to remove and some wood may chip out.... The solution is... get a "permanent" replacement grip and put overgrips if u are looking for someting thicker...or some brands like Karakal and i think Yonex too have a kind of tape for the wood to prevent the wood from chipping:cool: