Wong CH set to be Wan Wah’s partner

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

KUALA LUMPUR: Barring an about-turn, former national singles number one Wong Choong Hann is set to become Lee Wan Wah’s new doubles partner.

But while overall head coach Yap Kim Hock stopped short of letting the cat out of the bag, he said that an arrangement for a partner for Wan Wah would be a temporary one.

“The plan is for the Wan Wah and his new partner to be together for the whole of this year,†said Kim Hock yesterday.

“This is to help Wan Wah make a comeback. He is an experienced player and it will not be fair to pair him up with a junior player.

“I do not want to split Choong Tan Fook-Chew Choon Eng because they have a chance to qualify for the World Championships.â€

Tan Fook was Wan Wah’s regular partner before a knee surgery last October put the latter out of action for three months. The 31-year-old Wan Wah resumed light training last Friday.

The World Championships will be held in Los Angeles from Aug 15-21 and Tan Fook-Choon Eng are now ranked 37th in the world.

Malaysia can have up to three pairs in the championships if all are ranked among the top 16. Two pairs will qualify if both are ranked inside the top 32.

Besides Choon Eng-Tan Fook, three other pairs are in the running.

They are Mohd Fairuzizuan-Mohd Tazari (19th), Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock (23rd) and Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming (34th).

“Whoever I recommend to partner Wan Wah, I still have to get the consent from the coaching and training committee,†said Kim Hock.

The coaching and training committee are expected to meet next Monday.

Choong Hann has partnered Wan Wah before – in the 2001 SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur and they helped Malaysia win the team gold.

The 31-year-old Wan Wah suffered the knee injury while playing in the Selangor Open with Tan Fook as his partner.

He is expected to return to competition in April at the Japan Open.

The Wan Wah-Tan Fook partnership last year reached number one in the world rankings.

They won the Malaysian Open; finished as the All-England runners-up; and were quarter-finalists in the Athens Olympics.

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    so when and where will be their first outing?

3. meeya

meeya Regular Member

i wonder if it wouldn't be difficult for WCH to undergo training for both singles and doubles at the same time. wouldn't his performance be affected depending on which is the priority?

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    singles is still probably his priority (and malaysia's)...its to help ease LWW backinto competition, and when he doesn't have to look after a junior player as well as getting himself back on track...plus WCH is a left hander:)

5. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Wong CH also started off as a doubles player I believe

6. meeya

meeya Regular Member

well i for one can't wait to see how they would play together. i saw a video of WCH playing doubles with chan chong ming for the thomas cup last year and they were good although there were awkward moments :)

7. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    hehehe, I am impressed with Choong Hann performance in mixed doubles during Sudirman Cup. :crying:
    Anyway, yesterday's The Star news said that Lee Wan Wah - Choong Tan Fook will be back in action again in the Pahang Open right??? :):):):):crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: Cant wait to see !!!