optimum string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by proxy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. proxy

proxy Regular Member

i dont know if this has been mentioned before.
    is there an optimum tension wherein a given string will perform its best regardless what racket its stringed on?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is a hard question to answer. I would say an optimum tension can be anything between 19lbs to 36lbs. Although string manufacturers do sometimes suggest tension ranges for optimum performance, like Yonex suggesting BG 80 and BG 85 be strung at a tension 10% below their BG65, or Gosen's 20lbs-28lbs for their Tecgut Tour strings, the real optimum tension determinant is the player himself or herself.
    One of my racquets is strung at 25lbs mains/27lbs crosses. An 11 year old girl simply loves the tension and the power she seems to generate from this racquet. The same racquet was used by a more matured lady, a better but not more talented player than the young girl, and she said she couldn't play with it because the strings felt like a brickwall.
    I know this may not be the answer you are looking for. But this is life, and life is you try experimenting between 19lbs to 36lbs until you get it right.

4. proxy

proxy Regular Member

thanks for the reply guys..

however, i was thinking on the premise that if a product is produced (e. g. badminton string) the desinger(s) is working on a specific point in a products characteristics/parameters to give its optimum performance.
    what you have mentioned is true and valid for all of us. but if we set aside that human factors (our tension preferences, choice of racket..and other subjective factors) what would a certain string needed tension for it to produce its designed preformance level? (i hope you understand what i am getting at..)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see ur point.

However, ur initial assumption of "set aside the human factors" is wrong. The racket itself is just a dead piece, players are the ones to use it and feelit. How u going to set aside the human factors then? :eek:

Even though, everything get manufacture within a "range", but the range is also given by reviews of testers. If the manufacture selected a wide range of testers, then the feedback is more accurate, otherwise, it's not.

Therefore, still down to urself, to find ur own solution. :rolleyes: