jumpsmash landing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DaN_fAn, Jan 20, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

A tEcHnIcAl QuEsTiOn??

i want to know what is the best and the right technique of landing on the court after a big jump smash.i usually get it right ,but sometimes while playing at high intensity my foot starts hurting.i also almost got an achilles tendon.so, any techinical suggestions.[give technical suggestions only]

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    You should land so that the toes of your non-racquet foot are pointing to the sideline, ie the non-racquet foot should be almost paralell to the baseline. This greatly reduces stress on the achilles tendon.

The attached photo below shows Tony Gunawan landing after a high jump smash. Note how his left foot is pointing outwards.

NB: This applies to all "landings", not only after jump smashes.

Attached Files:

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

his landing is correct however , from this stance , the recovery is much slower if the foot is pointing out.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You also need to incorporate other movements to make it truly smooth, such as allowing your knees to bend, and moving your upper body in the direction you wish to move next.

Many people land and their legs are very stiff, which jolts their body and loses energy, you need to try transfer the energy you gave yourself from the jump and landing into moving to your next destination, other wise you have wasted energy. Whole body agility will enable you to conserve energy this way.

5. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Thanks for the advice.But the tecnique mag described is difficult somehow.how long does it take to learn the basic jump-land technique??

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

If you have correct stroke and body rotation, that is the way you will naturally land.

As for time, it depends on how near you are now, and how much practise you put in to make it better.