passing shots catching me off balance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Jan 21, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Almost all the points my opponenets get off of me r slow smashes or clears to the back left corner or my round the head position that pass me, catching me off balance while i try to get back to the middle from the back. I split step right before they hit, but i'm caught just a little off balance. What should i do? Thanks

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Stop reaching for the shuttle and start moving your feet more... I suspect that you're trying to get the fast low clear to your backhand by jumping and reaching back. Just practice moving to your backhand backcourt corner more; focus more on lateral than getting a vertical to "cut off" the shot. Is this for singles? If it is, then position your 'base' alittle further back to make it easier to cover that particular area.

3. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

"lateral movement"??? wat does that mean?? i sorta of just reach with my right hand to my backhand, when they smash, should i twist my body more so that my right foot is in front of me.. almost like a backhand clear or something?? And yes it is in Singles

4. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Just a suggestion but perhaps your footwork rhythm is wrong .Are you running back to the center?Here is a little secret about footwork and the rhythm.The way you should approach it is when executing your footwork think "quick to the bird ,slow to center" and then when you can see where the shot is going "quick to the bird slow to center".The problem with running back to the center is that in order to stop and change direction you will lose too much time and also expend massive amounts of energy which also works in your opponents favor.This could explain why you are late for smashes as well as clears to your backhand side.Otherwise get your footwork checked out as well .

5. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

.. hmi don't think i run back, i take about two steps, more like i'm sorta galloping back i think, alot of the times i get there before they swing, but they smash to my backhand and i can't reach the birdy or i'm too late.

6. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

u need to start moving buddy...like everyone says up their...practice ur footwork continuously...until to the point where moving around the court becomes effortless and instintive...i recommend shadow drills...and don't gallap back...turn ur body to the right everytime ur ready for a shot..then skip to steps back...hope that helps

7. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

most of the time.. in actual games.. u dont even need to skip or gallop back.. just take a few steps (sideways)

8. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

I kinda feel like we're moving off topic.... what kind of footwork should i do for a smash to my round the head position if i'm standing in ready position in the middle??? should i step w/ my right foot toward the birdy, or turn my body??? What about a clear to the round the head position when i've just gotten back from ready position??? It kinda feels exhausting for me to go back from a clear and then change my direction to go back. Maybe i should change my footwork a little... Thanks

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    The thing is without a clear picture of what your footwork looks like we are just grasping at straws and also perhaps your shots are not deep enough. This allows your opponent more time and a steeper angle with which to smash or attack clear to your backhand side.Get a coaches assessment of your footwork and shots.If you don't have a coach then find people who can point you in the right direction.YOu can move your racquet foot toward the bird on the smash return and changing direction to return back to the round the head corner is quite common.If you have problems then you need alot more shadow badminton till the movement becomes second nature.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Sorry, I was using the wrong word for what I wanted to say... your singles footwork practice should cover more distance than height. If you have seen videos of the pros, they don't jump too much to reach for the shuttle. Actually they don't jump at all unless they're way behind the shuttle for overhead offensive shots (eg. offensive clears, drops, smash, etc.). Focus on staying on the ground during your rallies and minimize the time your feet are in the air while stepping. 'Galloping' or chasse gives more acceleration over shorter distance and is more suitable for doubles coverage than singles, so it's less efficient in your case.

An effective footwork around the court means stepping lightly and not making too much noise. As suggested by others before, best way to improve is shadow badminton until it becomes more natural for you.