User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 35
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Interested in starting a new club in westchester NY? Please read this!!!!

    Hello everyone,

    I have recieved a number of emails from people who are interested in and are looking to start a club in Westchester. I have tried my best to get in contact with everyone who has emailed me. But if I have missed anyone, I apologize for that. I live in Yonkers. There are several high schools and churches here. I had recieved an email from a member here saying that there is a group looking for a place to play. Once I hear from them, all of us will contact the high schools and churches here to see if we can rent a gym. I would prefer it to be on either saturday or sunday rather than the weekdays since I work full time and go to school in the city. But we will take everyone else's needs and concerns into consideration as well. I myself play badminton very well and I am sure we will find others who play just as well. Once everything is set up, we can organize the hours in such a way that if anyone is looking for coaching, we can provide them that as well at no cost. I really am interested in starting a club, preferrably in Yonkers. So please contact me via email at robina1981@yahoo.com. I am sure if all of us pitch in in terms of time, effort and ofcourse money, we can start a great club! I look forward to hearing from you!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hmmm...I see that a lot of you are reading this post which means you are interested but yet I haven't heard from anyone new. So please, contact me if you are interested!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hope ur effort could be paid off, and I could visit you for some games instead.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Hope ur effort could be paid off, and I could visit you for some games instead.
    oh hey lazy, been a while since we last spoke or chit chatted well yes i am trying to make phone calls and visit these places to see what i can do! hopefully it will all work out

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Robina,
    Great idea coz i think westchester is closer to us than new york. Just give us info and let us know in what way we can help .
    Good luck!
    Mitch

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_girl94
    Robina,
    Great idea coz i think westchester is closer to us than new york. Just give us info and let us know in what way we can help .
    Good luck!
    Mitch
    Hey,
    I am still in the process of calling around. May be you can help by looking up some places in yonkers, white plains area online, give them a call. Email me at robina1981@yahoo.com if you'd like. Take care!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    by places I was referring to, high schools, churches, ymca, ywca etc

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I contacted board of ed. here in Yonkers and was told that they rent out school gyms only to a non profit organization with insurance . But I will keep looking. If there's anyone out there who has found a venue or is in the process of looking for a place to play in Yonkers westchester or any nearby area please let me know. Although I am in the City every Tuesday, I dont want to play there. I have been to NYCB but it was too crouded.

    I really hope we find something SOON!

  9. #9
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,973
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    did you try contacting the city recreational dept? (or whatever is equivalent)

    you can propose to them such arrangement that you will help to run the gym under their umbrella. that way, the renter will be the rec dept, you run the gym, everybody will be happy... some gyms here are run that way.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    did you try contacting the city recreational dept? (or whatever is equivalent)

    you can propose to them such arrangement that you will help to run the gym under their umbrella. that way, the renter will be the rec dept, you run the gym, everybody will be happy... some gyms here are run that way.
    That is exactly what I am going to do next! Thanks for the info though

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robina
    That is exactly what I am going to do next! Thanks for the info though
    Hi there,
    I know I'm a couple of month late, but what's the status on that new club?
    I'm in White Plains and I'd definitely enjoy playing Badminton. I had my racket sitting in my closet for years, it's about time to undust it

    lmk.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NYC sewers chilling with Splinter
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink S.o.s.

    Hi Robina. How have you been? Are you still practicing badminton and where are you playing? Are you still looking for a place to play?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NYC sewers chilling with Splinter
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Coming out of retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_wp
    Hi there,
    I know I'm a couple of month late, but what's the status on that new club?
    I'm in White Plains and I'd definitely enjoy playing Badminton. I had my racket sitting in my closet for years, it's about time to undust it

    lmk.

    So how many years has it been since you last played badminton? Would you be undusting a wooden racquet by any chance? What model is it lol. Anyways how did you get into badminton and where are you playing or have played.

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastcoastAZN
    So how many years has it been since you last played badminton? Would you be undusting a wooden racquet by any chance? What model is it lol. Anyways how did you get into badminton and where are you playing or have played.
    I used to play when I was in college (about 5 years ago). I never reached a decent competition level, but if I train seriously now, I'd definitely look into it.

    I have to check if the racket is in wood. Don't remember
    I'm not playing now, but I'm looking for place to play. My problem is transportation. I'm not really mobile.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_girl94
    Robina,
    Great idea coz i think westchester is closer to us than new york. Just give us info and let us know in what way we can help .
    Good luck!
    Mitch
    Where are you playing right now Mitch? I know CT has a few clubs, the Y in Greenwich, and others. Or are you playing somewhere else?

    Robina did you start up that club in Westchester? We had a club last year up in Spring Valley which was kind of fun, but I haven't confirmed if it's restarting this year or not.

    I will be looking for a place to play possibly this year, and am looking at CT if Spring Valley doesn't reopen. Anyone playing in CT, and how far from say Brewster NY, since I know how far I am from Brewster.

    Cory

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NYC sewers chilling with Splinter
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by coryprice
    Where are you playing right now Mitch? I know CT has a few clubs, the Y in Greenwich, and others. Or are you playing somewhere else?

    Robina did you start up that club in Westchester? We had a club last year up in Spring Valley which was kind of fun, but I haven't confirmed if it's restarting this year or not.

    I will be looking for a place to play possibly this year, and am looking at CT if Spring Valley doesn't reopen. Anyone playing in CT, and how far from say Brewster NY, since I know how far I am from Brewster.

    Cory
    Gosh you must live really far from NYC since i don't even know where are Spring Valley and Brewster. I'll get back on you on that. I play with Mitch in CT sometimes at the Y. We're still waiting on word about Ridgefield and Fairfield. I will only play at southwestern CT places that are the most closest to the NY state border haha. I'm already getting crazy looks from my friends because they think i'm crazy to drive to another state just to play badminton. I haven't heard from Robina either maybe she's too busy having fun playing badminton in Westchester in order to check her emails . How many courts do they have in Spring Valley,fees,hours and days of operation,and how can i get there haha.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastcoastAZN
    Gosh you must live really far from NYC since i don't even know where are Spring Valley and Brewster. I'll get back on you on that. I play with Mitch in CT sometimes at the Y. We're still waiting on word about Ridgefield and Fairfield. I will only play at southwestern CT places that are the most closest to the NY state border haha. I'm already getting crazy looks from my friends because they think i'm crazy to drive to another state just to play badminton. I haven't heard from Robina either maybe she's too busy having fun playing badminton in Westchester in order to check her emails . How many courts do they have in Spring Valley,fees,hours and days of operation,and how can i get there haha.
    Spring Valley was in a High School Gym, with 3 courts. The fee last year ended up being $100 for the year and then a $2-$3 for shuttles each night, whatever you could afford. Sometimes I would give $5 and then not give anything the following week. The fee ended up being $100 which was higher than previous years because the schoolboard raised our cost from a little over $100 to something like $800. But the more people we get to play the lower the cost it will be.

    Last year we got only Tuesday night, but I was told that this year we were going to bid for two or more nights. Spring Valley is not that far from the city, but it depends where you live. It's just across from the Tap bridge about 20 mins or so, I believe. I don't know. It takes me about an hour, maybe a little more from where I live to get to the club, and I live about 2 hours from getting all the way to NYC when I have to go there.

    Brewster NY, is right off interstate 84, a few minutes from the border of Connecticut. Since I would take that route to Connecticut, I would probably be within a fair distance to get to Ridgefield, or Greenwich, but presently I think Fairfield would be too far of a hike.

    However, I may be moving shortly, closer to Connecticut border. So we'll see. If Spring Valley opens again, that will be my best bet, but I would like to see that we get some players out there.

    If you need another reference to approximately where Spring Valley is you can also use Nanuet. It's at least as close as Greenwich, and closer than Rdigefield and Fairfield, as far as I can tell. But that's distance, I don't know about time.

    Cory

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Starting a badminton club
    By k44k44 in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 8
    : 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM
  2. Anyone interested in starting a class with Coach Andy Tran?
    By sehat in forum San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club ( SGVBC )
    Replies: 1
    : 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
  3. Anyone interested in Starting a Badminton Internet TV station?
    By wedgewenis in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 3
    : 04-16-2006, 08:23 AM
  4. anyone interested in starting up a small shop/company
    By nzpizzaboy in forum Market Place
    Replies: 6
    : 09-16-2004, 06:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •