Interested in starting a new club in westchester NY? Please read this!!!!

Discussion in 'USA East' started by robina, Jan 22, 2005.

1. robina

robina Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I have recieved a number of emails from people who are interested in and are looking to start a club in Westchester. I have tried my best to get in contact with everyone who has emailed me. But if I have missed anyone, I apologize for that. I live in Yonkers. There are several high schools and churches here. I had recieved an email from a member here saying that there is a group looking for a place to play. Once I hear from them, all of us will contact the high schools and churches here to see if we can rent a gym. I would prefer it to be on either saturday or sunday rather than the weekdays since I work full time and go to school in the city. But we will take everyone else's needs and concerns into consideration as well. I myself play badminton very well and I am sure we will find others who play just as well. Once everything is set up, we can organize the hours in such a way that if anyone is looking for coaching, we can provide them that as well at no cost. I really am interested in starting a club, preferrably in Yonkers. So please contact me via email at robina1981@yahoo.com. I am sure if all of us pitch in in terms of time, effort and ofcourse money, we can start a great club! I look forward to hearing from you!

2. robina

robina Regular Member

hmmm...I see that a lot of you are reading this post which means you are interested but yet I haven't heard from anyone new. So please, contact me if you are interested!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hope ur effort could be paid off, and I could visit you for some games instead. ;)

4. robina

robina Regular Member

oh hey lazy, been a while since we last spoke or chit chatted:) well yes i am trying to make phone calls and visit these places to see what i can do! hopefully it will all work out:D

5. mitchy_girl94

mitchy_girl94 New Member

Robina,
    Great idea coz i think westchester is closer to us than new york. Just give us info and let us know in what way we can help .
    Good luck!
    Mitch

6. robina

robina Regular Member

Hey,
    I am still in the process of calling around. May be you can help by looking up some places in yonkers, white plains area online, give them a call. Email me at robina1981@yahoo.com if you'd like. Take care!

7. robina

robina Regular Member

by places I was referring to, high schools, churches, ymca, ywca etc

8. robina

robina Regular Member

I contacted board of ed. here in Yonkers and was told that they rent out school gyms only to a non profit organization with insurance:crying: . But I will keep looking. If there's anyone out there who has found a venue or is in the process of looking for a place to play in Yonkers westchester or any nearby area please let me know. Although I am in the City every Tuesday, I dont want to play there. I have been to NYCB but it was too crouded.

:eek: I really hope we find something SOON!:mad:

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you try contacting the city recreational dept? (or whatever is equivalent)

you can propose to them such arrangement that you will help to run the gym under their umbrella. that way, the renter will be the rec dept, you run the gym, everybody will be happy... some gyms here are run that way.

10. robina

robina Regular Member

That is exactly what I am going to do next! Thanks for the info though:)

11. tony_wp

tony_wp New Member

Hi there,
    I know I'm a couple of month late, but what's the status on that new club?
    I'm in White Plains and I'd definitely enjoy playing Badminton. I had my racket sitting in my closet for years, it's about time to undust it :)

lmk.

12. EastcoastAZN

EastcoastAZN Regular Member

Badminton mercenary
    S.o.s.

Hi Robina. How have you been? Are you still practicing badminton and where are you playing? Are you still looking for a place to play? ;)

13. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    Coming out of retirement?

So how many years has it been since you last played badminton? Would you be undusting a wooden racquet by any chance? What model is it lol. Anyways how did you get into badminton and where are you playing or have played.:D

14. tony_wp

tony_wp New Member

I used to play when I was in college (about 5 years ago). I never reached a decent competition level, but if I train seriously now, I'd definitely look into it.

I have to check if the racket is in wood. Don't remember :)
    I'm not playing now, but I'm looking for place to play. My problem is transportation. I'm not really mobile.

15. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Where are you playing right now Mitch? I know CT has a few clubs, the Y in Greenwich, and others. Or are you playing somewhere else?

Robina did you start up that club in Westchester? We had a club last year up in Spring Valley which was kind of fun, but I haven't confirmed if it's restarting this year or not.

I will be looking for a place to play possibly this year, and am looking at CT if Spring Valley doesn't reopen. Anyone playing in CT, and how far from say Brewster NY, since I know how far I am from Brewster.

Cory

16. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    Gosh you must live really far from NYC since i don't even know where are Spring Valley and Brewster. I'll get back on you on that. I play with Mitch in CT sometimes at the Y. We're still waiting on word about Ridgefield and Fairfield. I will only play at southwestern CT places that are the most closest to the NY state border haha. I'm already getting crazy looks from my friends because they think i'm crazy to drive to another state just to play badminton. I haven't heard from Robina either maybe she's too busy having fun playing badminton in Westchester in order to check her emails:p . How many courts do they have in Spring Valley,fees,hours and days of operation,and how can i get there haha.

17. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Spring Valley was in a High School Gym, with 3 courts. The fee last year ended up being $100 for the year and then a $2-$3 for shuttles each night, whatever you could afford. Sometimes I would give $5 and then not give anything the following week. The fee ended up being $100 which was higher than previous years because the schoolboard raised our cost from a little over $100 to something like $800. But the more people we get to play the lower the cost it will be.

Last year we got only Tuesday night, but I was told that this year we were going to bid for two or more nights. Spring Valley is not that far from the city, but it depends where you live. It's just across from the Tap bridge about 20 mins or so, I believe. I don't know. It takes me about an hour, maybe a little more from where I live to get to the club, and I live about 2 hours from getting all the way to NYC when I have to go there.

Brewster NY, is right off interstate 84, a few minutes from the border of Connecticut. Since I would take that route to Connecticut, I would probably be within a fair distance to get to Ridgefield, or Greenwich, but presently I think Fairfield would be too far of a hike.

However, I may be moving shortly, closer to Connecticut border. So we'll see. If Spring Valley opens again, that will be my best bet, but I would like to see that we get some players out there.

If you need another reference to approximately where Spring Valley is you can also use Nanuet. It's at least as close as Greenwich, and closer than Rdigefield and Fairfield, as far as I can tell. But that's distance, I don't know about time.

Cory

18. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    Road Trip

Hi Cory,

I just finished mapquesting distances of places like Spring Valley (Rockland),Greenwich,and Flushing from Brewster,NY. Spring Valley should take you an hour, Greenwich is about 38 miles, and Flushing (NYC) is appoximately 53 miles or an hour plus from where you are. So pretty much every place requires you to leave the house a little early :D . If you're planning to move in the future i suggest a place that is right smack in the middle of all the badminton places in the tristate area and just an arm's length from the major highways. How about somewhere near the George Washington Bridge. To the north is I-87,west are I-80+I-95south,east are I-684,I-95north,south are I-287+FDR drive into Manhattan :cool: .

Spring Valley Badminton Club sounds inviting but i already go to the Y in Greenwich on tuesdays. Usually mondays and wednesdays are the days that badminton is least available to play in most clubs maybe if you won bids for those days people might show up more in Spring Valley. I think the closest places for you are western CT,Yonkers,Rockland,and Westchester areas. However if you don't mind getting out of the house an hour earlier maybe you can drive into the city on saturday mornings and play at either www.friendlybadminton.com or www.brooklynbadminton.com there are long hours and cheap walk in fees. Parking is easy and the places are in close proximity to fast food joints,the local chinatown,and shopping mall for you to pig out before and after practice for easy access calorie loading :crying: .

Also there's always www.nycbadminton.com in Manhattan on weekdays and a sunday too. Lots of players from noobie to tournament ready. Easy parking after 7pm on city streets and its open late.

Let me know when you find out Spring Valley is re-opening again and what days and times you'll have for the new season.

19. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    I live in Fort Lee right by the NJ side of the GW bridge. I am also looking for a convenient place to play. I went to Queens several times for both locations, but it's really a headacke to get there and get back, plus you have to pay 3 tolls for the Bridges. A club in Yonkers/Westchester would be better for me. My problem is that I can only play on weekends. Any interest in setting up a club in For Lee/Bergen County area?

20. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I could drive to the Mahwah area of Bergen County. Further into NJ would be a large hike for me though. If it's my only option though I might consider it.

Cory