Which stringing machine is better

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Gamebird, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Gamebird

Gamebird Regular Member

I want to buy a stringing machine with six point supports for my personal use. I narrow down my selections to Eagnas Flex940 and Eag350. One is swivel clamp system and the other one is glide bar clamp system. Both about the same price range. Can you guys with stringing expriences provide your opinion to help me to make my decision? Thanks. :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is no need to have swivel clamp for badminton. from my own experience, they only slow you down as you need two actions to lock down the clamp. glide bar clamps are also, in general, more secure than swivel.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From www.eagnas.com, seems both machines are NOT listed under "Badminton String Machine". Therefore, I wonder if they are designed for badminton usage. If you want these 2 machines, u might need to purchase extra badminton accessories (i.e. clamps, etc). :rolleyes:

4. Gamebird

Gamebird Regular Member

Thanks for the replies from Kwun and LB. Flex940 doesn't come with badminton clamps. EAG350 does come with 3 set of glide bar clamps. The smallest one is for badminton racquet. :)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If your information is confirmed, then I guess ur choice should be pretty clear. :)

6. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    I have a laserfibre machine and i find it very good. But before i came to decide on my machine i also did some research on eagnas. Eagnas does have a HUGE selection on machine but beware, they have horrible customer support. But on the other hand i've heard few problems from the flex 940, but everything else it just a nightmare, 90% of the machines out there are for every racket sport, most of the machines are very adjustable. If i were you i would get the flex 940 because of the few nightmarish stories i've heard and if you want go read up the stringing machine forums over at tennis warehouse. Many more stringing information on a wide variety of machines. g'luck

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do not buy the EAG350!

here is why.

if you look at the side clamps. they are secured by a thumb screw, those side clamps are not secure and they will move under high force. even if you try to tightening it very very tight, they will still move.

the clamp mechanism for the 940 is vastly more secure.

Attached Files:

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Which laserfibre machine did you buy? I just ordered the MS200 TT!

9. Gamebird

Gamebird Regular Member

Kwun, Thanks for pointing out this big problem of EAG350. I will not consider to buy it. :p

To Registered & Peter LSD, I'm also interesting the LaserFibre MS 200 TT and MS 200 ECO. I send mail to info@laserfibre.com a few days ago about the price of these 2 models but they didn't reply my mail. Can you kindly to let me know the price? Please PM me if you don't want to reply the price on this thread. Thanks. :)

10. registered

Royal Bum
    i got the ms200TT, i got it because the machine keeps it's value unlike an eagnas. I paid around 1,000 CAD for it shipped. I've made half of it back already in just under 1 year. I find stringing to be a breeze. I never knew how to string when i bought the machine. I went to www.sptennis.com and i watched their videos before i got the machine. I love the ms20tt because i don't have to have the bar perfectly horizontal due to it's tension system. the only complaints i have is the supports. i had to modifiy them slightly for badminton rackets. For tennis rackets it's just marvelous, i couldn't ask for anything more when stringing tennis rackets. But because i string mainly badminotn rackets i have to switch support and use the center peice. I can take a few pics if anyone really wants me to, just request it and i'll snap some pics and post on my personal webspace. I would recommend this machine but if you ONLY string badminton rackets i would recommend to get the ECO instead of the TT.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Same here! I paid about the same price. Unregistered, could you post several pics of your machine with the modified mounting system? Before I purchased this racquet, my stringer used the MS-200 ECO and strung my racquets as high as 28 lbs. The tension lasts a long time even with BG-65!

Thanks!

12. registered

Royal Bum
    pete, i PM'ed you the link, i only modified the mounts, if you look at those red mounts they are really round, i just shaved off the inside of it and made it more flat so that it supports better on the inside of the racket.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Both machines are good. You shouldn't worry about the security of the side supports. However, both machines are made for tennis racquets, with accessories for badminton. Being primarily made for tennis racquets, the side supports do not necessarily align as intended on badminton racquets. The EAG350, with its sliding V-shaped supports and fixed side arms/supports, would be better than the Flex940, which has adjustable side arms/supports, in this critical 4 corner racquet support aspect. In other words, the Flex940 adjustable side arms would support the badminton racquet at near the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, which are not the ideal spots if you really want to string at very high tension. The EAG350 doesn't suffer from this compromise, simply because it uses sliding V-shaped supports which are then locked into place by the large tightening knobs below the supports.
    If you have to choose between the two, I would recommend the EAG350 over the Flex940. The EAG350 has fixed clamps on glides, and comes with badminton clamps. Its side supports do support the badminton racquet at the critical 4 corners. The Flex940 comes with fixed swivel clamps, which do require periodical replacement of washers (you can buy them from hardware stores), is slower, and you will have to pay extra for the two badminton swivel clamps. Its side supports, which do support the 4 corners of a tennis racquet, cannot do this on a badminton racquet, and the end result is a compromise.. Instead, it supports the 4 spots nearer the 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock, which is better than nothing but not better than the 4 corners.

14. Gamebird

Gamebird Regular Member

Taneepak, Thanks for your explaination. :)

To registered, Can you alos PM me the link of your modification of the mounts. If I buy the MS200ECO, do you think I also need to modify the mounts for stringing the badminton racquet? :confused:

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Thank you so much, Registered! The pics were very clear. I see you have the double-action clamp system. I ordered the single-action ones. When you tension one side, I notice you clamp the opposite main string near the throat instead of the head. Will the clamped string not as tight as the opposite string under tension? Thanks again for your help.

Pete

16. registered

Royal Bum
    i do that to start the stringing, i basically clamp off the first main in the middle, then i tension the other main, and i clamp it off closer to the throat so it sort of acts like my begginning tension, i don't know if this is technically correct but it works.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Thanks for the input. Have you string higher than 25 lbs? How secure is the locking mechanism that prevents the mounting post from moving? In the ECO model the mounting post has this van-allan nut and screw. Without friction plates or material between the mounting post and the base, the mounting post would move inward during stringing. This happens no wonder how hard one tightens the van allan nut. One can imagine what would happen to the racquet. It would become round!

#17 Pete LSD, Jan 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  18. registered

Royal Bum
    well the highest i've ever strung was 26 pounds and i've done that consectively to my cab21's over 5 times with bg66.... trust me don't do it, it snaps like crazy hehe... also due to the dry weather over here in my city. But i've strung over 25 lbs no problem.