How amazing professional player is

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ditorajo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ditorajo

ditorajo Regular Member

Hi all,

Have you seen a single professional player played against double 'amateur' team?

A couple years ago, I had an opportunity to see Misbun Sidek played against one of our university double team during a badminton clinic conducted by our university sports unit and Nusa Mahsuri. Each side just has one service. To demonstrate how high the professional player level, Misbun gave 10 points ahead to our double team prior to start the game. What really impressed me, Misbun won that game with 15 - 10. Our double team didn't manage to get even single point eventhough they were ex-state players (consider as semi-pro).

It's really amazing.

2. libra

libra Regular Member

I agree that professional players are really a level up from state players but I find it hard to imagin that an aging (or aged) star like misbun is able to beat a reasonable doubles team 15-0... just my thought

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    One of my ex-coaches in school. It was quite late in the evening around 7.00pm already and these 2 boys were bored and waiting for transport that one of them asked to play 2v1 or somethin with him. I was waiting for my ride and I didn't want to get sweaty and stuff after I cooled down. So I watch my coach beat the 2 of them, mind you they were pretty decent players but my coach was amazing and managed to beat them!!

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Can you (ditoraja/FEND) explain how the game went? Was the doubles team in attacking formation all the way? How did the singles player (Misbun/coach) take away the advantage?

-dave

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    For me I can summarize how my school mates lost. Though they played well the one thing which led to their downfall against a middle-aged badminton man was that they kept clearing the shuttle towards him.

My coach just deceived both of them by using a variety of different shots against them. He didn't have to run as much as they were hitting shuttles towards him while he was making fools out of them. The doubles were clearing towards his forehand a lot of the times and were not making him run as much as they should.

This is no disrespect to my former teammates or anyone, but they should've taken the game but maybe it all boils down to the teacher is still smarter than the student?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well . Misbun and his brothers still have alot up their sleeves..

I think i mentioned this before.. Misbun can still win a singles set with the current national players and even ex nationals ( can't reveal any names ). But of course Misbun can last about maybe 2 sets. No stamina due to age.. usually play 1 set 15 points or up to 21 points. Well of course there is some betting involve between the players. If not.. they will just relax.

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    That just begs the discussion. WHY? :D

Maybe those nationals/ex-nationals are horse-ing around?

-dave

8. ditorajo

ditorajo Regular Member

From my observation during the game, Misbun could easily anticipated where the shuttle being thrown by the double team but they couldn't do the same

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    retired profesional players that continue to play actually further develop their skills and on court senses. thats why veteran players always seem to have the '6th sense' and are always foxing younger players.
    but there fitness, speed, and recovery rate will never match those of their younger self.
    also, i suspect many veteran players has since adopted a different approach to the game that allows them to sustain their level for a good match or two.

8man

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Cant disagree with any of that jug8man.

Remember the saying "he who thinks the same way at 40 as he did when he was 20 has wasted 20 years of his life"

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    see you around pal

8man

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It wasn't neccessarily aimed at you, but more to explain that a player can still compete at a level of modern players, by changing there game style. (for example, if lin dan plays the same way he does now in 10 years, he will not be able to win, since he will not be as quick when 30 as he is now. If he changes his game though with more accuracy, consistency, and better technical play, he could still play at a similar level.

"Youth is wasted on the young"
    That phrase cannot be more apt to playing badminton, to lesser or greater extents in different players.

13. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    The other thing is that pros excel at identifying even the slightest
    weaknesses in their opponent's game. I don't believe they ever lose
    this even with age. When playing against players a full level or two
    lower, I'm certain they can easily pinpoint one or two "major"
    weaknesses and keep hammering on it to get "free" points, since
    their technique and control is so refined.

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    I heard that the pro can jump over the net?

15. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    are you serious ?

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I once saw Tan Joe Hok [1959 All England champ] tested the quality two cartons of shuttlecocks [2 dozen pieces] by serving... he hit the same 10 cm-square spot all the time... and he was approximately 65 years old at that time...

I also heard that Susi Susanti [now, a mother of three kids] can still beat Fransisca Ratnasari and Firdasari, who are considered the top Indonesian women players today. Factual note: Susy only played one game against each girl [using the rally point system]. Fransisca [Nana] was beaten before the 2006 Uber Cup. Firda was beaten 4 months ago. People said that if Susi had played as our 3rd singles, we probably would have still qualified for the Uber Cup finals in Tokyo last year...