question about badminton conditioning

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Jan 25, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

So at my hs, we're conditioning now, and we're conditioning our quads and abs, but what is the role of your quads and abs in badminton?? They don't seem very vital in badminton. Most of the time my calves and shoulder tire out, but never my quads. thanks

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The quads are probably the strongest muscles in the body. That may be why you don't feel them tiring out. Perhaps they also contain a higher percentage of type I and type IIa muscle fibers than do your calf muscles. These type of muscles fibers have more endurance than the type IIb (fast-twitch) fibers. It might be that calf muscles might consist of a higher proportion of the IIb fiber type so they might tire more easily. However, it is the type IIb (fast-twitch) fiber that gives us (explosive) power for quicker movement and higher jumping ability.

The quads are very important for a variety of motions. They are used to straighten the leg or to extend the lower leg. In conjunction with other muscles, they are very important for running, lunging & jumping motions. These motions are all important for badminton.

The abs are also very important. They are particularly important for their role in movements that involve upper body rotation. Powerful smashes & deep backhand clears would benefit from ab work. The abs, along with the lower back muscles, also assist in support of the upper body.

#2 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    For a better understanding of muscle fiber types:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21161

I've got a couple of replies there along with several helpful links. Check it out!

4. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    In regards to conditioning, I also have a question I'd like to add.

For you coaches out there, if you coach a high school teal, what would you say is better and why:

would you condition the team before training or after training?

my high school condition before training. I would get so tired that my eyes barely open, so training right after is very difficult. I have also seen other team conditioning after they train. This seems like a better choice, anyone care to share their expertise?

5. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    Aotis, you are right mate.... when I was on my high school team, we always do the conditioning before our actual training.... sometimes our muscles ache quite a bit and therefore we can't even hit well.... it has been awhile since I was in high school, but I think that regimen won't change for quite awhile.... cause my friend, she is a badminton coach at a high school, she does the same thing too....