flying clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by MarkinJapan, Jan 27, 2005.

1. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find the info in a search

What is the max a yonex flying clamp can take without slipping?
    I'm looking at buying a machine and I would like to string around 27-28lbs. Is there any problem doing this with a set of flying clamps? or should I make sure to have a fixed clamp for more stability?

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Flying clamps do not clamp very well on the main strings. You will require four flying clamps for the mains to equal the performance of the fixed clamp. This is due to the inherent design flaw of flying clamps to use the strings for both clamping and anchoring, and not because of any manufacturing defect. The Yonex flying clamp is very good, but I would advise you to get a slightly wider one for more anchoring power and higher tension. The wider the flying clamp the higher the tension it can handle. Using two wide flying clamps will be better. But flying clamps cannot string the last two side mains, one string at a time, using the standard stringing pattern to ensure minimum slack on the last main side strings. Only fixed clamps can do that.
    Fixed clamps are definitely much better. Their weakness is that the tray/turntable, the anchor for the clamps, does not allow the fixed clamps to reach the very extreme end of the strings. There is therefore a small length of the string that is not being tensioned, which you will tension piggy-back when you pull and tension the next string.

3. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Hi Qua Flying Clamp

Anyone uses this flying clamp? I did a search on this forum, but nobody seems to leave any comment! It looks very much like Yonex flying clamp. :confused:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It looks winder (6 teeth compare to 5) and seems ok. However, I never used it before. It's just a bit cheaper than Yonex ones, maybe u can just purchase 3-4 yonex flying clamps instead. :)

#4 LazyBuddy, Feb 3, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The thing to look for is not the number of teeth in a flying clamp but the actual width of the clamp. You should get flying clamps that are at least 1.75" long. Clamps this wide will have at least 6 teeth. If you can get 2" wide clamps, that will be ideal, even if they have less than 4 teeth. Stay away from flying clamps that are less than 1.5" wide, even if they have 6 teeth.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I can see your point. However, I believe the # of teeth is also important. If way too few, either it won't have enough force to hold the string, or the teeth is too wide to fit (i.e. top cross section). :rolleyes:

7. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

Yes, I have used a Hi-Qua flying clamp and find them quite adequate. The spring clip appears easier to spread open as compared to a Yonex clip. However, I have not strung any racquets beyond 25lbs; therefore, I do not know if it will hold the pulled strings adequately at tensions over 25lbs.

#7 dakguru, Feb 4, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have a few questions, hope u can answer:

1. Easier to spread open - is that mean the spring (clamp teeth) are not strong enough to hold string, like Ti ones? It might be a problem for main, especially.

2. Is the HQ clamp all steel? From the pic, I am not sure whether the blue outlayer of the clamp (teeth area) is plastic (too weak) or steel.

9. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

1. IMHO, the spring is not as strong as the Yonex clip. It will hold the pulled string adequately. As I mentioned, I've only strung as high as 25lb and can not attest to its performance beyond that tension.

2. I believe the HQ clamp appears to be all-aluminum construction. The blue that you see is a painted coating over the metal.

I hope that helps...

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Flying clamps' weakest point is the mains, where clamp width is more important and the number of teeth is of no use as they serve no purpose. They do better on the crosses because of assistance from the mains. It is here where the teeth have a role to play, because the teeth anchor on the mains, and because flying clamps without teeth simply cannot clamp on the crosses. :D

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Many thnx for ur rely. :)

12. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

25lbs is more than enough for me! Thanks!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Btw, what kinda mahcine u use? Drop weight or crank? I mean, there's a bit difference for "25lb", i mean... ;)

14. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

It's a basic entry level table-top drop weight model, Gamma X-2. It's fairly simple to use but, it's takes ages for me to complete the stringing process (even after pre-threading both mains & crosses). However, I'm very meticulous and in no rush.

For 25lbs, I string the mains and crosses respectively as (24x26).

15. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

I see you points and tend to agree. Thanks for the info. :)

16. p@p@k

p@p@k Regular Member

Do You mean 2 flying clamps per side on the main (2 left & 2 right)? I dont understand how can You use 4 flying clamps. Sry but i have stringing machine for a only 1 weak (noob).:confused:

Also I bought Eagnas ST200 with 2 flying clamps with 3 teeth and only 2cm wide. So I guess thats not enoughe. :confused:

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, 2 flying clamps on each side of the mains. You just clamp 2 clamps on 3 strings, in a row formation, on one side of the mains. You do the same on the other side.
    The clamps you described are pertty lightweight. Get another two with more teeth. You then use one small and one big clamp on each side. :D

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I believe your clamp can be adjusted. All you need is to becareful is to make it so you can put enough force on the strings without knicking it (our damage the string). If you string less than 24lb. they should work. I think there must be a instruction on how to string with 2 clamp. I use another drop weight stringer and I am able to string with only 2 clamps.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, you can string with just 2 flying clamps. But it won't do a good job, even at 24lbs, because a flying clamp doesn't clamp on to some fixed, non-moveable, base or turntable. All it does is to clamp on the string you have just tensioned and then use the previous string for anchorage-not a very satifactory way of anchoring. Using two flying clamps will at least increase your anchorage capability. :D

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, 3 flying clamps can just do a good work as 4. Use 1 on the "lock down" side, and use 2 on the side that u are currently working on. Even though, the "lock down" side might lose a bit tension, it will be balanced out when u switch back to that side. If using constant pulling machines, the problem could be even further minimized. ;)