drop shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by redmage, Jan 29, 2005.

1. redmage

redmage New Member

hello i am new to the fourms and well have been playing abdminton for a few months now my question is my coach says that i should take a drop shot above or close to the net but i ususally get them near the middle but it is quickly ruled wrong by everyone at my club i was wondering if there is much of a difference in taking it at the top rather than at the middle if it goes over either way thats all that matters right, or am i using the wrong technique? well i hope you can help.

2. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    There is where you are capable of hitting it and where you aim to to try to hit it.The higher you hit the less time you give back to your opponents chances of hitting a decent or better return.Htting it earlier just increases your chances of success.Training for the highest quality return is what any coach should try to get you to strive for.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    You coach is right... take the shuttle as high as you can! You have more options when you take the above the net or even close to the top. For every situation, you should always try to maximize the number of options that you have. This way you have more opportunity for deception.

Above the net, you may have the option of hitting a net kill. Close to the top of the net may not five you a kill opportunity but it gives you a lot more options than if you were to catch the shuttle lower. You can hit a more delicate straight net drop or you can impart more tumble to the shuttle (to make it more difficult for your opponent to handle). You also have a better opportunity of faking a straight hairpin drop, but then hit a crosscourt net drop or an attacking clear to either back corner.

With the proper finger technique or racket head movment, you can take a drop shot close to the top of the net & get the shuttle to turn over very quickly. You also would have the option of hitting a mid-court push (esp useful in doubs). A lot of these options may not be available to you if you take the shuttle at mid-net level.

When you take the shot lower, you run a greater risk of hitting your own net drop too high, thus giving our opponent more options (& maybe even a winner for them). If you are taking the shot quite a bit lower than the top of the net, I suspect that you are hitting the shuttle in the sweetspot of your racket to get the shuttle to go over the net for a hairpin. This can be risky.

When you approach the net to reply to your opponent's drop, make sure that you move in with your racket high. (Your racket should almost never be low between shots; it definitely should not be hanging down by your side). Get in the habit of keeping your racket up in your ready positions (this is advisable in singles & is extremely important in doubles).

When you want to play a hairpin drop near the top of the net, contact the shuttle away from the sweetspot. The shuttle will probably bounce too high off you strings if you hit the sweetspot in this situation. Hit the shuttle closer to the perimeter (near the top or side/top) of the stringbed (however, you don't want to hit to close to the frame either). This should enable you to hit the shot with more finesse or to impart a bit of tumble to the shuttle.