Wan Wah the man for Tan Fook

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by whizkelv, Jan 29, 2005.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

New Straits Times » Sport

BADMINTON: 'Wan Wah the man for Tan Fook'
    By K.M. Boopathy

Jan 30:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

AS far as national chief coach Yap Kim Hock is concerned, Lee Wan Wah is Choong Tan Fook's ideal partner and the duo will resume their combination after the World Championships in Anaheim, Los Angeles in August.
    Wan Wah underwent a knee operation in November and he was replaced by Chew Choon Eng.

Although Tan Fook-Choon Eng reached the final of the China Open, their first tournament as a pair, and have targeted the World Championship title, Kim Hock prefers Wan Wah to Choon Eng.

"In term of experience and quality, Wan Wah is still the best partner for Tan Fook. The current pair (Tan Fook-Choon Eng) are aiming for the world title but I have to look beyond that," said Kim Hock.

"We have the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and Doha Asian Games next year and we need one experienced pair to lead our charge.

"Tan Fook-Choon Eng cannot handle the pressure and this is where I need Wan Wah."

Choon Eng is often let down by his lack of confidence in crunch matches, while Wan Wah has always proven to be Tan Fook's ideal partner.

However, Kim Hock does not want a rusty Wan Wah to partner Tan Fook immediately after his return to competitions in April.

Instead, it will be Wong Choong Hann who will be Wan Wah's partner until the World Championships, a decision the former has accepted willingly.

Choong Hann, who is under Chinese coach Li Mao's guidance now, said that playing in the doubles will help him improve his all-round game and this is something he needs to maintain his performance on the international stage.

"I am very attack-oriented but my style has become predictable. However, I can improve my defence and I can add more power to my smashes," said Choong Hann.

"I need all-round strength to challenge the younger players and I am looking forward to this new approach."

Choong Hann is only required to train twice a week with the doubles players.

As for the world championships, Choong Hann will only play in the singles and the tournament will give him an indication on how much he has gained playing in the doubles.

England will be Malaysia's biggest threats in the Commonwealth Games as they have the much improved Nathan Robertson-Robert Blair in the men's doubles.

National No 2 Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat's progress has been slow and this is the major reason Kim Hock is banking on Wan Wah and Tan Fook, who won the gold in the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, to deliver in Melbourne.