How do you feel if someone clash with your racket?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dave18, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Lol. My MP99 just clashed with my friend the other day.

I was speechless, luckily, there was no dent or scratches. Plus, it was a she and she was a lefty and I'm a righty, so the clash was pretty massive.

How do you guys feel? If a girl clashed with your racket, would be yell at her?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    imho, no one is to yell or to be yell at.

racket clashing is a mutual thing, you chose to swing your racket, and your partner chose to swing hers. if you don't like your racket getting clashed, then you should not swing yours.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It's one of the most expensive risks of the game, when it happens to me I turn round ask my partner if their racket is OK, check mine and then get on with the game.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thats happened to me a few times i dont really get all worked up about it because i mean it will happen sooner or later and if you dont want to have a clash then dont play doubles/mixed just play singles. but when we clashed racquets i just asked her if hers was ok then just looked at mine and continued funny though right after that the guy and girl on the other side had the same incident:rolleyes:.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

personally? i don't yell. instead, i punch her in the face. :D

but no, seriously, like the guys said above, its a mutual risk.
    its a fast game, and most of the time, you can't prevent it from happening once you start swinging.

there ARE many ways to get around the problem of breaking a be-loved racquet though.
    1) use a cheap racquet when you play with clash-prone/lower skill partners.
    2) buy lots of backups for your primary racquet. :p

i usually end up continuing the rally until its over, than ask to confirm everythings okay, before glancing over the outside and inside of the frame for cracks, since chips are unavoidable. they'll happen sooner or later. cracks are the real problem!

unless the rally IS over because of the clash, then you drop to your knees, hold the racquet close, and cry out "nooooooooooo...."
    this will elicit pity from your female partner and gain you brownie points. ;)
    unless your friend who you're playing with is a guy. then they'll say you're a wuss. haha.

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

lol, last time I clashed with a girl, I just stopped the rally. It was kinda embarrissing because I was just speachless staring at my At 700 :p

7. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    I play mostly play social mixed doubles and have had my own share of racket clashes.

I agree, its just undisciplined behaviour if someone yells.

After a clash, we just try to finish the rally. Then I check my racket visually and by running my fingers on the head (I have a more keen sense of touch :) ). Then I check my partners racket. If everything is OK my heartbeat starts to go down :)

I do have one experience where my RSL racket clashed with a Gosen racket. The dent on the Gosen was BIG right on the head about 10o'clock position. It was OK with the owner though :) He was in the process of replacing his racket, he just had to replace it earlier. :)

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Yea, I don't yell at my partners, I just don't say anything, but inside, it hurts. Lol.

After the clash, I touch the racket to examine it, and people say I'm too cautious. Oh well.

9. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    This type of thing is always happen while playing. You don't have to yell at your partner. I just had a clash with my friend 2 weeks back. What we did was say sorry and check our racket is there is any damage and just continue with the game. It always safe to have another back-up racket with the same model and tension so you could go on with your game with out having to adjust your playing style to suite the other racket.

10. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, me too.

Racket clashes are the worst. I"ve experienced it before alot, but now with my prize possesion racket, its rare. Its more like the birdies hits the floor and we stare at it blankly. When it does clash, it usually not hard, those are ones are like hogging for smashes...

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Racket clash is part of the game. I guess I just have to live with it. :rolleyes:

12. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    If its a hot girl than ok...nevermind... if not...god damn it! im going off!:D

13. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Used to be, I was super apologetic... but that was because i felt it was my fault, back when i was still new to the sport. Nowadays, I don't think about it too much, but that's probaby because it doesn't happen to me anymore... usually, if it's ambiguous, I won't go for the shot at all. I can always play more games, but rackets don't grow out of trees!

But i have had a few close calls, like last night, instances where I was going for it and then my partner went for it after me so I had to actually pull my racket away to avoid a clash... and my feeling? Your heart kinda stops for a bit, and your sweat goes cold... not a nice feeling at all.

14. jeremy

jeremy Regular Member

human resource
    There are players who aren't really sensitive when playing. They would just keep on running around the court & keep on hitting on the shuttle, not even minding if the shot was already yours. There was a time when a player almost ran me over. I could have been almost road kill on the court! :mad: You'd just have to be careful when choosing your doubles partner, yet sometimes clashes are unavoidable.

If the clash was unintentional & it happened in a serious game, its alright.. happened a lot of times already. I'd just feel the frame of my racket & pray.. I hope my baby is alright. If it was my shot already & my partner whacked my racket.. I'd just sometimes wish I had a baseball bat. :eek:

15. other

other Regular Member

Student
    just remember to use your 150g steel racquet whenu play with people like that:p

16. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Ugh, i dread racquet clashes. It is bound to happened, but racquet clashes are more prone if you are playing with an amateur. I'm really protective of my equipment too, but it;s not the end of the world. Next time you have a racquet clash just be grateful that it wasn't your face:).

17. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Lol. My friend who has been playing for over 4 years says that, if your good and know what your doing, you will never get racquet clashes. That's a lie. Everyone will of had a clash.

The funny thing is, I did get hit in the head. Lol. And no, it wasn't my fault. He was winding up for a smash, when I was right being the birdie, he called "mine" and whacked me in the head. You can imagine how much that hurts...

18. other

other Regular Member

Student
    well the best pros do it still....and i think most of them know what they are doing:rolleyes: