User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you look when you serve?

Voters
1838. You may not vote on this poll
  • i look down at the birdie

387 21.06%
  • i stare at my opponent

571 31.07%
  • i look at where i am planning to hit

418 22.74%
  • i look at empty space.

221 12.02%
  • i look all over the place

330 17.95%
  • other.

205 11.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usually look at the opponent when i serve.
    1. By looking at the opponent i should be able to gauge any weak areas from his posture
    2. intidimate him wif my evil stare keke jk =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7SamuraiX View Post
    i usually look at the opponent when i serve.
    1. By looking at the opponent i should be able to gauge any weak areas from his posture
    2. intidimate him wif my evil stare keke jk =P
    it is easier to look opponent ...
    can help your mind focus where to target and that always happen to us all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't you suppose to look at the net tape?
    shiet i'm not expert on serve, for matter of fact i suck at serving.
    I always look at the net, and most of the time, my serve still sucks
    And I don't think I can look somewhere else other than the net tape
    by looking at the target and already suck, without lookin at it?
    lol i'll be amazed if i make those shots perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find its best to look at something that never changes...

the T on the other side of the court is something you can concentrate on that never changes (can still see opponent in peripheral vision), whereas if you look at your opponent.....or even the net (can be different height sometimes, even slightly...or maybe..shaking)...then each time it will be different..making it harder to achieve consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dont Give anything away

Your opponent is anticipating where you might serve by looking at your body language mostly and where your eyes/head is pointed.

Maintain a neutral or similiar stance position when serving so as not to give anything away however note your opponents position on the court.

If he is right at the net he is 1)psyching you into a unforced error i.e. shoot into net 2) ready to pounce on a short serve.

In this case you must 1) serve an excellent short serve slightly above net and 2) into his weaker side or into body to squash his movement or 3) produce a slow arm movement mimicking a short serve and flick your racquet head to shoot over him - making sure shuttle travels a least to back of court if he is a strong mover/smasher or 4) simply serve very high to back or court forcing him to produce a winner or suffer a drop return.

Also, you may pretend to look at one corner to serve deceiving an opponent who checks your eyes and flick your wrist at impact to change direction.

Do any of the above often enough and your opponent may give up attacking your serve as his attack may mis-position him or produce very little rewards.

Remember to mix up your serve as your opponent will learn your preferences and adapt as the match tightens up.

If you like more of these tips check out this helpful website http://332e1gkefb474x7flh52it2s0b.hop.clickbank.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to first glance at my opponent,then pick a spot where i 'may' play it to, see if the reciever notices, and changes his foot pattern / position.
    If he doesn't i will try it, but usually i change my mind anyway, and play a flic D
    Variety is the spice of life....and serving, it turns out lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply look at the opponent, see if they seem to be alert for a short or long serve. If you look at the opponent's stance, you can determine which serve suits is more unfavorable for him/she.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the things I look at before I serve, in particular order(i play doubles)

1. Check if my partner is ready
    2. Check my distance in the service line
    3. Check the position of the shuttle if its positioned nicely against the racket head
    4. Finally, look at my opponents position and stance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i look on the place im aiming to, and then on the shuttle ,after that on the opponent (to know how to serve) .
    And THEN i serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i glance at my feet and the shuttlecock, then look at the opponent, then stare at the net. but when a pretty girl is receiving then...heh...my eyes would take control of themselves O.O . i think looking at your opponent, disputably, can distort your perception of the shot because of all the psychology behind it, and again, disputably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Furtil View Post
    i glance at my feet and the shuttlecock, then look at the opponent, then stare at the net. but when a pretty girl is receiving then...heh...my eyes would take control of themselves O.O . i think looking at your opponent, disputably, can distort your perception of the shot because of all the psychology behind it, and again, disputably.
    haha, well, even so.. I try to focus on how I do every serve... I think it is better to give them a good game instead of really going too easy just because they're pretty, or beginners, or whatnot.

^ hehe, here's me being cocky

As for where I look when I serve... i think i can update my statements:

1) check shuttle's feathers
    2) approach position on court where I like to serve
    3) check for opponent's readiness
    4) looking down but having both the shuttle and opponent in sight, I focus at the top of the net tape right before I serve, keeping note of what serve to make depending on the receiver's position and readiness.

*sidenote: I also sometimes check if my partner's ready during doubles and may also base what serve to make depending upon the readiness of my partner.
    Last edited by chrisnchips; 08-26-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default psychologically+physically

Im a psychology student..sumhw i apply sum psychology in my play..psychologically, v will usually predict there the shulter might usually go..den automaticly our body and foot work will get more preparation to the direction that we predict especially to backcourt..
    So..usually i will observe while getting ready to serve..1st i will see where is the further distance from where my opponent is standing in the incourt space..2nd is the opponent's standing position..refering to gravity focus of the opponent..3rd is where is the opponent luking while im preparing to serve..
    this habit might oso change due to different situation..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a chap I play against who, when he is serving, spends quite a long time on every serve looking (with his beady, devious eyes) at various spots around the court, and at my eyes.

After he's satisfied that he has (i) had a good look at all the places he's not going to serve to and (ii) convinced himself that he has intimidated me by staring wildly at my own eyes, he serves.

As a receiver, I just ignore all of that and wait to see which way the shuttle goes.

:O)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
    There's a chap I play against who, when he is serving, spends quite a long time on every serve looking (with his beady, devious eyes) at various spots around the court, and at my eyes.

After he's satisfied that he has (i) had a good look at all the places he's not going to serve to and (ii) convinced himself that he has intimidated me by staring wildly at my own eyes, he serves.

As a receiver, I just ignore all of that and wait to see which way the shuttle goes.

:O)
    LOL

ditto

for receiving i feel exactly the same way... just relax and wait for the serve. Although I may not be as good at charging a serve... at least I am ready for most of the services, whichever way they go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. it's much better when you only concentrate on one purpose at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for reciving a serve..i used to focus on the frame and the shutle connection..especial 4 backhand serve..this is bcos chip shot easily happen in dis kind of serve n the speed is faster then forehand serve..is more easy to predict if observing the frame..from the movement of the frame in a split second u cn much or lease predict if the shutle is going back court of front court..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by disney View Post
    as for reciving a serve..i used to focus on the frame and the shutle connection..especial 4 backhand serve..this is bcos chip shot easily happen in dis kind of serve n the speed is faster then forehand serve..is more easy to predict if observing the frame..from the movement of the frame in a split second u cn much or lease predict if the shutle is going back court of front court..
    That's true... but what if they use the method similar to slicing for their short backhand serves. For those kind of serves it almost looks the same as a flick serve until you see where the shuttle goes.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast