User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you look when you serve?

Voters
1817. You may not vote on this poll
  • i look down at the birdie

381 20.97%
  • i stare at my opponent

567 31.21%
  • i look at where i am planning to hit

414 22.78%
  • i look at empty space.

219 12.05%
  • i look all over the place

329 18.11%
  • other.

201 11.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some weird reason, a lot of people I play with actually have trouble serving low at the net, either missing it or flicking it too far. Their strokes are all fine, but the service is where they get caught.

Think of all the net kills I get to do, yumm....

I do notice that they actually change their view to the opponent before hitting, so I agree with Loh there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super~ME!
    ...i usually just try to screw the opponents up by either serving to where i'm looking at or serving to where i'm not looking at.
    That's a very dirty trick, and it does work . Someone did it to me yesterday-- serving at me, but looking at my doubles partner. I didn't even move, I thought he made a mistake somehow... easy point....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    That's a very dirty trick, and it does work . Someone did it to me yesterday-- serving at me, but looking at my doubles partner. I didn't even move, I thought he made a mistake somehow... easy point....
    this is really odd. how could he take you off guard just by looking kat your partner when you know he was to serve to you?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a cheap trick, and one that can be countered with a "I am not ready" response. If you're not ready, ask him to re-serve the point again! I don't see why people have to resort to such "tricks". If they want to win so bad, they should be beating up on the newbies... that's if they're NOT newbies themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laughable c.
    this is really odd. how could he take you off guard just by looking kat your partner when you know he was to serve to you?
    It was one of those semi-serious matches with friends, so I'm largely to blame since I wasn't 100% on the ball at the time, it was just after a long rally where I lost track of who's service it was...

in fact, the guy who did it to me is a fellow BFer, maybe he got the idea somewhere in old posts! grrr!

Personally though, a point is a point... i don't think there's such thing as a 'cheap trick' really, because however cheap it is, i could conceivably do it as well, we're all on an equal playing field after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be hard to serve without looking at some kind of target or reference.

Here's an experiment to try: next time, when practicing serves, get into position to serve and close your eyes. Strike the shuttle with your eyes closed. If your mechanics are consistent, and you don't use some kind of target, the serve should be just as good as normal, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If in doubles, I always look at the T as for short serve. I stare at the same spot as well for flick, so it looks the same as my short serve. I glance at the birdy or the spot, depends on the feel, but mainly the ritual is about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Californian
    I think it would be hard to serve without looking at some kind of target or reference.

Here's an experiment to try: next time, when practicing serves, get into position to serve and close your eyes. Strike the shuttle with your eyes closed. If your mechanics are consistent, and you don't use some kind of target, the serve should be just as good as normal, right?
    Actually , it could work . I mean some people get so used to it that they do the same movements all the time . Of course I've never tried it . But I've heard that some people CAN actually hit drops with their eyes closed . And it will land on the same spot every time .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    Actually , it could work . I mean some people get so used to it that they do the same movements all the time . Of course I've never tried it . But I've heard that some people CAN actually hit drops with their eyes closed . And it will land on the same spot every time .
    I've seen someone with cross-court dropshots like that, tight at the net... it's part of his deception game. Running almost along the net from left to right to catch one of my drops in that corner, for example, he fakes a hairpin, but in fact send it backwards across the net as a drop on the opposite end.

Impressive, but not easy! I think this guy really worked on that though, i've never seen anyone else consistently pull of this technique. I've also only seen it mostly in singles, I'm guessing in doubles if he's not looking the other partner might just be there to kill it.

I"d say not looking while serving is hard enough, but the extra stress of not looking while in game is pretty tough, though i suppose not impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would stare at my opponent, so as to make him/her anxious about where I will serve to. Sometimes my horrible cold expression even make my opponent scared...as my opponent told me after the matches.

However for sure, my mental concentration is always put on the place I intend to serve to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always look at how my opponent position themselves then look at the distance he need to cover and then serve to the most distant area from him.
    one thing i learned from john is that by staring at opponents will really give them some 'demoralising' effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cchyboy
    i always look at how my opponent position themselves then look at the distance he need to cover and then serve to the most distant area from him.
    one thing i learned from john is that by staring at opponents will really give them some 'demoralising' effect.
    What if your opponent is like me and doesn't pay much attention to where you're looking? I would never even notice if the server was staring at me, the net, the court, or the ceiling because I'm focused on the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then he might be supposedly looking at the birdie and i will give him a full clear to the back,or a deceptive low serve if he is anticipating for a clear.Depends really on where he stand.
    Last edited by cchyboy; 02-09-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This "stare" is just an attempt to reduce, if not destroy my opponent's morale. If my opponent really don't care where are I am looking at and just stare at the bird, I don't have any disadvantage, because I can still serve as accurate (or as inaccurate ) as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone look at the opponents racket before they server? This is very usefull at beginner through intermediate levels. If I notice they are in a bad position to receive a flick serve, well a flick serve is what I do.. If their racket is down then a fast flick server catches them off guard many times. If their racket is positioned in around the head smash, then I usually do a short serve to their far forhand. I know this probably only works at beginner levels, but I even caught my coach once or twice doing this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do a series of "looks"

Net tape first, then I see where the person is staring, quite often foot position and balance (I live by a tricky flick serve in doubles).

After that I tend to glance down at the shuttle, then I kinda of star blankly acorss the net, trying not to look at any specific postion to give away where I'm thinking of putting the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straight down the barrel of the gun so to speak, directly at the opposing player to see if they are losing balance or have an opening in their stance where they are unable to get a shuttle back from.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast