User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you look when you serve?

Voters
1834. You may not vote on this poll
  • i look down at the birdie

384 20.94%
  • i stare at my opponent

571 31.13%
  • i look at where i am planning to hit

418 22.79%
  • i look at empty space.

220 12.00%
  • i look all over the place

330 17.99%
  • other.

205 11.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the question shouldn't be so much where you are looking when you serve, but what to look for when you are serving. Also my response is based on doubles service/return.

Look to see where the receiver is standing. Is he standing too close to one side? Is he standing so he is biased to hit with his forehand? Is his stance positioned for him to quickly move forward or backwards? Is his racquet positioned to quickly return your serve with his backhand or with his forehand?

All these (and much more) should be assessed before you serve. Even with national level players (players who are willing to play National tournaments) in Canada, it is very easy to see, just by assessing their ready position, which shot they are most likely wanting to hit. By practicing your serve to be quick, flat, and accurate, you can make your opponent hit a shot that 1) they do not want to hit, and 2) you are expecting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I look at the shuttle and my racket to get ready to serve. After that I look at the opponent, then after serving at the shuttle obviously...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caarl View Post
    If its a serious match I hold the gaze for 10-15 seconds then proceed to serve, otherwise i just look at the shuttle.
    Seriously Caarl, 15 seconds will get you a penalty if someone is sitting on that high chair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, it's of no importance when you have consistently calculated serves like it came out from the factory ISO prepared and churned out like Christinna Pedersen's serves and not like Taiwan's Chen Wen Hsing's. I personally don't think there are players whose binocular eyes who can even really tell where your eye balls are staring unless you are really turning your whole head to a particular direction which would be too fake or not normal. You can do it once or twice, but you can't fool everybody all the time rite? I would say generally they look at their own postures, check their execution technique, and then look in front or whatever. Neither are there players who just immediately serve without even checking their own position or body posture or preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by AirStyles View Post
    I may not be a good doubles player. (Like I'm always told, thanks to my defensive playstyle), but when it comes to serving... I think I might very well be one of the best. (In my region, not world standard)

Serving is easily my strongest "weapon" in doubles. I'm not afraid of people charging my serves... Or should I say, I'm not very successful with feeling pressured during serves, not anymore.

It all started with my brother telling me that I need to serve well enough to not be afraid of getting charge, even if my opponents are obviously dead set on charging it. So, I banned myself from ever flick serving. (It's been 6 years, I haven't lifted my own ban *I do flick if I'm playing with much weaker players, only to play around*)

For several months, I practice my short serves... ALOT. Constantly trying to find a perfect form for myself, my own mindset, my own technique. After I find my own form, my pre-serve rituals, and my focus point... I keep practicing it...

I remember serving for roughly 2 and a half hours straight(Boxes of shuttles, easily over 700 serves *modest estimation*),

pick up shuttle,

pre-serve ritual,

focus,

serve the shuttle,

complain about the height in my head, (*If I can see the space between the shuttle and net cord, it's a failure, if I can't, then it's bad because the tail didn't touch the net cord... There are no perfect serve)

complain about the where the shuttle land, (*If it didn't touch the service line, it's a failure, if it did, then I complain about the arc of the serve, it didn't go down steep enough to trick my opponent into thinking it's a "short". There are no perfect serves)

pick up another shuttle,

Repeat;

When I stopped, I got very light headed and almost puked.

Nowadays
    Getting my opponent to watch the shuttle until it drop very low before they decide to hit it, or press it down the net occur frequently, especially the former. (Getting more than 2 aces are normal when playing with members of other clubs.)

I stopped practicing serving that obsessive now, however, I have done enough for my body to remember the form.

I get bad slicing days, I get bad dropping days, I get bad defense day, heck, I have bad clearing days... But... I don't get bad serving days at all.

What I'm trying to say is....

I believe, everyone have their own serves that they may find comfortable, and with enough practice, it doesn't really matter where you look.(As long as your form make sense, such as... Not standing 3 feet away from the net... Or... serving below your waist)
    Last edited by Pakito; 02-21-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look depending on what would mess up the opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Check he position of my feet if I stand in the right place;
    2. I placed my hand at the back holding the shuttle cock and giving my partner a sign if I will serve "SHORT or LONG";
    3. I just look at my opponent when I serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, i will probably look at my own partner see if he is ready and after that i'll look at the opponents the position they stand and how ready they are to receiving my serve to determine short serve or long serve or angle serve.

Look at our Denmark top pair MD, Boe will stick out his tongue whenever he serves if you have noticed it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That depends, whether you're serving to girl or guy. If to guy, simply get a glimpse where he stands and serve the shot to the area he has most difficulty to return. If serve to girl,... then it becomes more complicated...on many aspects!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White tape of the net. Coach says this will allow me to hit the shuttle across the net rather than into the net...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look first on the shuttle then on the opponent then serve. By doing this I am able to assess in which opponent to give the shuttle (of course will serve it to the weakest link).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which opponent? You dont really get to choose, you know

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I stare at my opponent.
    2. Give a big smile.(Maybe a little grin)
    3. Hold my racket up
    4. Stare at the opponent again.
    5. Look at the opposite place of where i'm going to serve.(Sometimes I don't. Just to make it random)
    6. Serve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For backhand serves, I look at the empty space, somewhere around the region between the front of the receiver's torso and the court surface.

For forehand serves, I look at the same empty space but quickly look down at the shuttle at contact.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23