User Tag List

View Poll Results: where do you look when you serve?

Voters
1815. You may not vote on this poll
  • i look down at the birdie

381 20.99%
  • i stare at my opponent

566 31.18%
  • i look at where i am planning to hit

413 22.75%
  • i look at empty space.

219 12.07%
  • i look all over the place

329 18.13%
  • other.

201 11.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

i look at my opponents feet theres usually a space between his feet and the service line. that helps me get less intimidated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always look to the four corners, and decide where im gonna hit it. When i've decided, i will look to another corner a bit longer than the other 3. Doing this, the opponent mostly thinks that thats the place where your gonna hit.

And to make eye contact is sometimes very usefull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tricking your opponent on your serve

In answer to the original question, "Where do you look when you serve"...here's my two penneth.

In a serious doubles game (best of 3), I assess try to assess the ability of my opponents within the first three sets of home serves.

I will always try to vary my serve to allow me to learn more about my opponents.

1) Initially, while they are receiving, I will concentrate on their position, poise, body language, eye movement (attentiveness), racquet position and ability to move and react to the shuttles placed into different areas. This initial assessment allows me to determine how I will vary my own approach towards serving.
    2) Strictly concentrating on where I look, I will begin to assess all of the above even before I approach my set stance for serving. This means I can choose where to plant my serve without letting them read my eye movements.
    3) For my opponents who like to out-stare me, I won't allow them to make eye contact with me until I have gained the upper hand i.e. after winning a few points.
    4) For those who think that eye movements indicate where I will plant the shuttle, I will make deliberate attempts to quickly snatch a glimpse into a part of the court where I have absolutely no intention of playing the shuttle.
    5) If I see someone itching to get out of the starting blocks in a bid to kill or attack my serve, I will vary the pace of my racquet movement and use a more wristy serve instead of a more deliberate swing action. This allows me to choose whether to flick high or low, or to play the shorter low serve.

Just before I serve, I will check that my shuttle hand is in the correct position to my racquet head.

For a low short serve:
    I will take two or three glances at an imaginery point 1 inch above the net and mentally visualise the shuttle reaching the peak of its flight just before it reaches the net...i.e. so it begins to turn and drop downwards just as it's goin over the net.

For a long low flick:
    I repeat the glances at the same imaginery point and visualise the way that my racquet needs to cut the shuttle to maintain it's intended trajectory to reach it's desired point. I pick out additional reference points on parts of the opponents body and racquet, and use them as a guide.

For a long high flick:
    I glance at the shuttle in the same way but this time the imaginery points are what I refer above as the additional reference points.

Depending on the condition and speed of the shuttle, I will make adjustments to my reference points, so having a view of the big picture is important.

In short, I look everywhere in a bid to assess and absorb as much of the detail presented to me. Where possible, i will attempt to use my eyes and body to deceive. More importantly, I don't do the above in a set pattern that allows my opponent to learn my approach,as it lacks a pattern of consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ususally at opponent/where I'm aiming. 50% of time deceptive look on my face makes opponent off balance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    Right in my opponents eyes and I lower my back so that my face is close to the shuttle to distract them while I execute a nearly perfect serve .
    Hey, Fend

Is that a backand service you're talking about? If so, how can you make contact discernibly below your waist? (unless you drop the shuttle?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I do a serv, I look at the top of the net, because the shuttle has to go over the line

Before I serv, I look at my opponent where he's standing etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't experienced doubles play, but I can speak about singles. Before the forward stroke, I look down at the birdie. When commencing in the forward stroke I tend to either stare at my opponent or at a lesser extent my target. I suppose that looking at an empty space would be good deception but fairly difficult to master.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I tend to look at the opponents feet, especially if the man is right on the service line, I try and hit his feet with the serve. Difficult for him to play as hopefully it will be right on the service line and he has to get his racket in front of his body. When i am trying to decieve him I sometimes stare at a completely random poitn in the service box and then serve to a completely different part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play doubles.. usually i look at e top of e net. dats y i chose others.

i make sure that i wil make it as low as possible to cross for a short serve.. after service, i will hold my racquet up and wait for tap or cross-court dropshots, etc..

den e game continues..

therefore.. my choice is 'others.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an idea of where I'm planning to hit the birdie beforehand and I do a quick glance to that spot. Before commencing the forward stroke, I look down at the birdie. During the forward stroke, I try to not give away any hints and just stare at my opponent. I can not comment on effectiveness in doubles because I have yet to play doubles
    Last edited by anthony1; 01-23-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i look at where the receiver is positioned(center, near short service line, long service line, left or right) then look at the receivers body language and balance(which side hes leaning into more) then i position myself 1.5ft away from the tee then i just stare at the tee on the opponents side, then i serve anywhere(flick to the forehand/backhand side or do a short serve on either corners) 'cuz i practice my service all the time, ive already calculated the serve to anywhere in the court without looking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before serving, I'll set my feet in the same place on the court every time. I never set-up for the serve until my opponent is ready. Then I quickly check for any obvious "agressive" serve opportunities, by looking straight at the opponent. WHILE I'm serving, it really depends on the type of serve. When I serve backhand, I ALWAYS look at the tape. When I serve forehand, I watch the bird right down to when it hits my racquet, but I keep my opponent in my peripheral view.

Gee, can you tell that I'm not nationally ranked...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(1) feets so that I am just behind the serving line.
    (2) Receiver position
    (3) racket and birdie
    (4) tape of the net

If you serving a short serve, you need to be confident as it increase your chance of serving well.

If opponent is always fast and eager to anticipate short serve, then a good flick serve to his back corner is necessary to warn him not to come to near. It usually works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best serve I've used against an attacking A player is look straight and serve short to the outside corner. Anticipate a mid-court push down the line and counter with a cross court drop. Follow the shuttle to the net for any re-drops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to play mindgames with my opponent when serving. I enjoy looking to a point where I'm NOT going to serve, and when he's getting used to that, I look at the point where I will serve, or look at the opponent, or not at all, so my answer to the poll is "all of the above"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stare at the closest spot for 2 seconds(i don't know what to call that, it's just the place short servers always serve at). suddenly stare at the opposite spot(the corner) and in that split second, hit a far ball instead( instead of the 2 places u looked at). i like doing that.

like u guys said it's mind games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default look

at the ball!!!???

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast