where do you look when you serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 31, 2005.

?

where do you look when you serve?

1. i look down at the birdie

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. i stare at my opponent

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. i look at where i am planning to hit

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. i look at empty space.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. i look all over the place

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. other.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder if anyone keep track of where they look when they serve. esp during doubles when any small gestures will give away your intention.

remember the service commence on the forward stroke. it will also be interesting to know where you look before the forward stroke also....

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I first look at the top of the net. I visualize both the target area & my opponent but don't necessarily stare at either. As I start my forward motion, I first look at the shuttle but then my focus goes a bit more to 'the expected contact point' rather than the shuttle itself.

So my answer to the poll is 'Other'.

#2 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Right in my opponents eyes and I lower my back so that my face is close to the shuttle to distract them while I execute a nearly perfect serve :p.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

First I look at my feet, so that I stand in the right place (mustn't touch the lines).

Then I look at the shuttle and racket, so that they are placed correctly.

Finally, I look at the opponent, so I can see what sort of service he might be ready for. I keep looking at him while I serve, so that I can change the service if he gambles and anticipates a straight low serve.

tkmdr likes this.
  5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I also look at my feet, then the shuttle and racket, then the top of the net.

I cant think quick enough to change my mind in a serve WRT my opponents movements. I just try make it as consistent and accurate as possible.

6. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    I usually glance at my opponent's side of the court 1st before I serve.... then I just look at my opponent when I serve....

7. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Agree with SystemicAnomaly. Looking at the opponent or the target area at the point of serving will cause inaccuracy in the shot.

#7 speedy, Jan 31, 2005
  8. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    1. look at my feet, then look at my opponents feet (are they on standing on the balls of their feet? or flatfooted?) I also note their position in relation to the T.
    2. then I look at the shuttlecock
    3. then I look at the spot where I want the shuttlecock to go
    4. then look at the net tape (sometimes I dont)

I do look at my opponents sometimes. When I do look at them I look mainly at their eyes.

As an observation most of my opponents don't seem to care where Im looking at. Specially when I'm eyeing the spot where I want the shuttlecock to go. When I do "get caught" by the opponent on my plans, I just flick it :)

9. Strummer

Strummer New Member

Business Manager
    I also find it useful to look at certain spot in an obvious way, but sending the bird at a completely different spot. That often puts my opponents out of place.

10. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

stare at the opponent.
    its a natural pscyhological response to stare back, and it'll slow them down in determining where the shuttle goes.
    only those who have played enough will realize that they shouldn't be focusing on any particular thing when recieving.

if i know it doens't work, then all i have to do is rely on putting in variation to throw them off.

11. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I use to stare at the birdie, but now I look at my opponent to intimidate them. :p

12. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I first check my feet and make sure they are not on the lines then look at my oponent and where he/she is positioned so I can decide whether to serve short or long , then I determine where I wanted to hit and stare at that spot ... then lastly , I stare at the shuttlecock and then hit it =P

LOL !! It's basically all of the choices listed :D

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well 1st i look at my feet make sure that there within the lines and im where i want to be, after that i look at my opponent in the eyes for a second and scan for the area i wat to serve to then i look at my racquet and the shuttle count down from 3 and then just serve it. i find that if i do that the shuttle will go where i want it to but if i just look at my opponent then i usually hit the net or if i dont look at the shuttle/racquet i end up hitting the net.

14. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    So here's the next question that I'd like to propose for discussion here. Assuming your physical setup is exactly the same for each serve (i.e. whatever your style, you start the same way everytime), can your serve be read by looking at where you looking with your eyeballs?

Are you able to see where your opponents want to serve by looking at their eyes? Do you notice slight changes in head position to give hints of impending flicks or serves to the alley?

I sure know I haven't been able to. How about you?

15. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well i say most of the time i do the same "ritual" but i often think of that if they know where im going to serve and if im giving it away so on purpose i would look at a spot and make it partially noticeable just so maby they will think i will tryand serve it there and i could end up having an "advantage" but when it comes to reading my opponenst serve i say that its hard to but you can get lucky and make the right guess once in a while but i mean i know when i serve my head is bouncing around, not because i do or that it gives away where im going to serve i dont think its possible, but just cause when i breath so that would be rather hard to get where your serving form movements in the head but the eyes well the eyes can be deceiving.

#15 smash_master, Jan 31, 2005
  16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Half-gaze to the shuttle and the opponent. Half to the shuttle for precise hitting, half to the opponent to decide where to place it or at the last moment, change the direction of the racquet face.

17. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I always look at the T but i serve in the coner, i'm getting very good at aiming the coner. We do routine we call the sheet at my club, the first one to hit 5 time the paper sheet in the one coner of the line win.
    When I feel and i'm focus i can hit the coner 3/4 of the time. ( I play mix double so i position myself behind the girls) this give an advantage.

18. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

i look where i want to serve then when i hit the bird i look where it would land to make sure depth is good. which for some wierd reason is a huge issue for me

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For doubles, usually I look at the top of the net. Where I aim the shuttle direction is a different matter.

I have one trick up my sleeve against receivers who rush the serve. Maybe after 3 or 4 serves, I deliberately do not look up when starting the service motion. The receiver thinks he can rush the serve but then I play a flick serve.

Catches quite a number of people out:)

20. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I usually look at the T. No matter where I intend to serve.. usually peripheral vision is enough to tell the body language of an opponent if he is going to rush or no...

as with Cheung, I sometimes deliberately look at the bird, then do a flick serve, it does catch a lot of peeps unawares... :D