Ra Kyungmin's Retirement

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by economet, Jan 31, 2005.

1. economet

economet Regular Member

Today Ra officially announced her retirement from the Korean National Squad.
    She will only play for her club on national tournaments.:crying:

Kim Dongmoon also wants to quit, but his wish was not granted by the Korean Badminton Association. At least, he will take part in the World Championship 2005.:) Kim DM repeatedly expressed his wish to focus on his doctoral thesis this year.

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Farewell and best wishes for the legendary pair. Thanks for the excitement and setting the bar up high for future up-and-comers to strive for.

-dave

3. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :crying:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is sad and expected.

Ra is among the best doubles player since the retirement of Ge/Gu in 2000. and i don't think anybody will argue that if we add together her achievement in mixed and regular doubles, she can rival the venerable Ge Fei in total achivement in doubles.

her only regrets would be not have a partner that is in the same league as her in regular doubles. Korea produces quite a few good double players, but Ra was so much ahead of them it only makes us wonder who would've dominated the WD arena if there were two Ra Kyung Min. her other regret would be losing the Athens XD gold medal which nobody will question was rightfully hers. unfortunately, that's just the cruelty of life. she bore all the pain of training and injuries over the years only to have to retire with yet another Bronze medal.

Ra has stood up against the challenge of the mighty Chinese, and more often than not, have penetrated through the great wall of China and caused panic and reorganization from within.

while she has retired in pain, both mentally and physically, she will never be forgotten. at least not here in BC. i am sure she will be remembered and mentioned years and decades later as one of the best.

5. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

this reply almost made me cry:crying:

it would be nice if someone sent this, translated into korean, and sent it to her or something;)

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Sure!! We will all remember Ra Kyung Min as one of the very best players badminton has known.
    It's sad to see players of this quality retiring but that's life! :crying:

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Thats sad to hear.. she still have many years to go. Anyway can still see her play for the company she is representing in local korean tours.

8. economet

economet Regular Member

Possible Comeback at Sudirman Cup!

I heard from Ha Taekwon that it would be very likely that Ra Kyungmin would come back at Sudirman Cup 2005 in Peking. Kim DM should also pair with Ha. This is the only possibility to defend the title. So I will translate Kwun's homage to Ra after the Sudirman Cup.

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Wow that's a great news!! :D
    This Sudirman Cup is going to be very interesting indeed! :)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow. thanks economet for all the report, but this is the biggest of them all.

totally agree that Ra will be crucial to Korea defending the cup. the inclusion of Ra (& Kim) will almost guarantee one point in MX, and then increases the chance in WD as well. Kim/Ha will guarantee another point as well.

the only question is their fitness level. not having competed since the Olympics, they really need to get back into training as the SC is only a couple of months away!

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Maybe this will be the Last tourney for RA...

12. economet

economet Regular Member

Fitness

That's the point indeed. Ha Taekwon told me that Kim Dongmoon never quit training. He studies and trains his university's team to which Lee Jaejin belongs. Kim DM's fitness will be no problem. But Ra's fitness should be a problem.

Nevertheless Ha told me that this should be no problem because he could not train at all till June last year before the Olympic Games and won the gold medal in Athens. We all remember that he was taped all over his body.

13. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Another sad news.... first Peter Rasmussen and now Ra Kyung Min. All my top bests are gone now. Sniff Sniff

14. economet

economet Regular Member

One sweet picture of Ra Kyungmin!
    Should I put this picture in the thread Players' signature?

Attached Files:

15. hazka

hazka Regular Member

i guess it was the reason why i didn't see her in all england. there's no reason for me to watch the mixed double match since her retirement.miss her a lot.love to see her appearence with kim dong moon.