User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Table of Badminton Grip Sizes

    For most badminton racquets with original leather grip on,

    G1 = 3 in
    G2 = 3 1/4 in
    G3 = 3 1/2 in
    G4 = 3 3/4 in
    G5 = 4 in

    On Yonex racquets, G2 -> G4, G3 -> G3, and G4 -> G2.

    Removing the original leather grip will usually give a grip that is one size smaller, and adding an overgrip will usually give a grip that is one size larger.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Yonex G4 -> G2

    I have three racquets whose frame cracked at the 3 o'clock position, and I am in the process of taking them apart before throwing them out. The first is a Yonex Carbonex 9400, the second a Wilson Classic 650, and the third an Apacs Armorpower 800. All three were bought in Singapore.

    After removing the original leather grips, I measured the grip size of the wooden handles for all three of them, and found that they are all 3 inches in circumference. The Wilson and Apacs racquets were marked as G2 racquets, but the Yonex racquet was marked as a G4 racquet (on the shaft).

    After removing the butt caps, I found no markings on the butt cap for the Wilson racquet, a clear marking of 3 1/4 (meaning G2) on the butt cap for the Apacs racquet, and ... surprise surprise! For the G4 Yonex racquet, I found a very faint 'G2' scratched onto the interior of the butt cap!

    I am curious what people will find on the butt cap of G5 Yonex racquets. Anyone with a totaled G5 Yonex racquet?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Badminton court
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    I have three racquets whose frame cracked at the 3 o'clock position, and I am in the process of taking them apart before throwing them out. The first is a Yonex Carbonex 9400, the second a Wilson Classic 650, and the third an Apacs Armorpower 800. All three were bought in Singapore.

    After removing the original leather grips, I measured the grip size of the wooden handles for all three of them, and found that they are all 3 inches in circumference. The Wilson and Apacs racquets were marked as G2 racquets, but the Yonex racquet was marked as a G4 racquet (on the shaft).

    After removing the butt caps, I found no markings on the butt cap for the Wilson racquet, a clear marking of 3 1/4 (meaning G2) on the butt cap for the Apacs racquet, and ... surprise surprise! For the G4 Yonex racquet, I found a very faint 'G2' scratched onto the interior of the butt cap!

    I am curious what people will find on the butt cap of G5 Yonex racquets. Anyone with a totaled G5 Yonex racquet?
    Yes, I have a MP-100 racquet wich is G5...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gade
    Yes, I have a MP-100 racquet wich is G5...
    If it's wrecked, and only if it is wrecked beyond repair, would you be so kind to see what is marked on the inside of the butt cap?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,889
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    For most badminton racquets with original leather grip on,

    G1 = 3 in
    G2 = 3 1/4 in
    G3 = 3 1/2 in
    G4 = 3 3/4 in
    G5 = 4 in

    On Yonex racquets, G2 -> G4, G3 -> G3, and G4 -> G2.

    Removing the original leather grip will usually give a grip that is one size smaller, and adding an overgrip will usually give a grip that is one size larger.
    Confusing! It appears there is no universal standard and perhaps that's one good reason why a player should try out the racket before buying!

    Confusing also because when it comes to weight the order as given in your example is somewhat reversed. U2 and U3, as I come to understand from the many postings here, are heavier than U4, And why do they use the letter U instead of W, when they rightly use G for grip size!

    Care to give the actual weight for U1 to U5..., at least for Yonex rackets?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa

    Removing the original leather grip will usually give a grip that is one size smaller, and adding an overgrip will usually give a grip that is one size larger.
    I think by adding an overgrip (i.e. yonex supergrap or other thin ones), the grip size at most only increased by half of the size. That's why many players tend to remove the original grip, but put an overgrip instead, to reduce the grip size.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    I think by adding an overgrip (i.e. yonex supergrap or other thin ones), the grip size at most only increased by half of the size. That's why many players tend to remove the original grip, but put an overgrip instead, to reduce the grip size.
    the thin overgrips are betwee 0.5mm and 0.7mm (the popular ones i've seen), yonex supergrap being 0.6, right in the middle.
    they dont' even increase it by a quarter of a grip size. you need two to three layers to do that...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    the thin overgrips are betwee 0.5mm and 0.7mm (the popular ones i've seen), yonex supergrap being 0.6, right in the middle.
    they dont' even increase it by a quarter of a grip size. you need two to three layers to do that...
    Right on the point!

    Since I have small hands, even a G4 grip is a bit too large for me. Therefore, I took off the original grip, and put 2 layers of original grips instead (1 Babolat Vs = 0.44mm, 1 Yonex supergrap = 0.6mm). I can feel such layout is still smaller if not significant (the layers overlap each other) than the original grip.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My MP 27 3U G5 broke in a clash today, so I took the butt cap out.

    On the inner face of the butt cap, it says "G1".

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    My MP 27 3U G5 broke in a clash today, so I took the butt cap out.

    On the inner face of the butt cap, it says "G1".
    Some other manufactures (i.e. Winex, Yangyang, etc) ranks grip size totally opposite as yonex. To them, G1 is the smallest, and G5 is the largest.

    It's poissible MP27 is made in TW (i think), and the OEM factory just use generic handle to make the rackets, as they also manufacture other brands. As long as they know the size difference between each different brand, it should be fine.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    For most badminton racquets with original leather grip on,

    G1 = 3 in
    G2 = 3 1/4 in
    G3 = 3 1/2 in
    G4 = 3 3/4 in
    G5 = 4 in

    On Yonex racquets, G2 -> G4, G3 -> G3, and G4 -> G2.

    Removing the original leather grip will usually give a grip that is one size smaller, and adding an overgrip will usually give a grip that is one size larger.
    Is that the diameter

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    not diameter, its the circumference

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,966
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this is confusing. So what is the girth of a YY G3?

    anybody know wich SOTX gripsize is equal to a YY G3/G4 ?The sotx racket I got now has got the smallest grip i've ever seen...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    Confusing! It appears there is no universal standard and perhaps that's one good reason why a player should try out the racket before buying!

    Confusing also because when it comes to weight the order as given in your example is somewhat reversed. U2 and U3, as I come to understand from the many postings here, are heavier than U4, And why do they use the letter U instead of W, when they rightly use G for grip size!

    Care to give the actual weight for U1 to U5..., at least for Yonex rackets?
    Doesn't the U stand for the respective weight of the racquet. As in, if it's 4U, then it has a difference of 4 grams, of which it may weigh, while 3U and lower represent a lower difference, which offer a more exact measurement?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'm confused.. isn't G5 smaller than G1? how come the circumference is bigger?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is what I found at BBESports website - their table of weight and girth for Yonex rackets.

    Weight:2U(90-94g)、3U(85-89g)、4U(80-84g)
    Handle:G3(girth 89mm)、G4(girth 86mm)、G5(girth 83mm)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by setaa
    i'm confused.. isn't G5 smaller than G1? how come the circumference is bigger?
    maybe he got it the other way round??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    : 09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
  2. grip sizes?
    By harryc in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
  3. Pro Kennex SL Grip Sizes
    By lagigolo in forum Grip
    Replies: 1
    : 09-26-2007, 01:22 AM
  4. Grip sizes
    By valkyier in forum Grip
    Replies: 4
    : 07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
  5. Grip sizes
    By Byro-Nenium in forum General Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 01-06-2001, 07:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •