What kind of legs do you have?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Dave18, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I don't think we discussed this on bc.

But some people like myself have curved legs. What I mean by that is instead of from the thigh going down, the leg is suppose to be straight, my leg is curving outwards slightly (but noticeable).

I guess that their are two types of legs, the straight one or the curved one. Unless there's more irregular shapes I don't know about.

Watching a lot of badminton videos, I haven't seen one person with a curved leg.

Don't know if their are any disadvantages or not.

So, what kind of legs do you have?

2. meteo

meteo Regular Member

will dance for free shuttles
    Do you mean bow-legged? A lot of japanese people have that (including myself... slightly)

I have hairy legs. The air drag makes me slower on the court. Hey, if they use that excuse for swimming, I should be able to use it for badminton.:D

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I guess the term is bowed leg.

My mother said that in asia, a lot of parents hold their children in their arms in an akward position. When we get older, I guess that are legs get a bow shape.

Can anyone verify the truth in this?

4. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i have fat legs :D

just to clarify, is this what you mean when you say there are two types of legs? (below) >.< sorry for terrible illustration!

Attached Files:

• legs.JPG
      legs.JPG
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  6. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Yea, something like that.

Maybe we could start a poll if its appropriate to see how many people are straight or bow legged?

7. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i think i have slightly bow-shaped legs... but no one has entirely straight legs do they? :confused::)

8. geelee

geelee Regular Member

I just saw the DVD of 2004 Thomas Cup: Peter Gade vs Sony Kuncoro, and realise that Sony Kuncoro has bowed leg as well. In contrast with the myth about bowed leg, he just fine and dendy.

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    What i was told, was that when you are an infant, your bones are still very fragile...and if you were often piggybacked, you would become bowlegged...and I think that makes sense... I wasn't CONSTANTLY piggybacked, but enough times...and I am slightly bowlegged as well.

Also I notice a trend... usually people who would get lots of attention from their family (eg. only child, first child) are bow legged because they would get lots of piggyback rides. Also bow legged people I know are usually asian, and I think that makes sense too because I don't see white/black people like to piggyback their kids. However whenever I notice someone is NOT bowlegged, they usually have many siblings (parents/guardians just can't piggyback them all enough to change the shape of their legs) and/or is a non-Asian.

I don't think being bow-legged would affect your playing...and as mentioned early, a very good player, Sony Kuncoro is also bow-legged.

10. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Supposedly, American West cowboys had bow-legs from riding horses everywhere.

More curious to me is how many people I see who walk with their toes pointed outwards at up to a 45-degree angle instead of straight ahead. Maybe the result of driving cars everywhere?

I wonder if that determines how a player lands with the front foot on a lunge?

11. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Hmm...Lin dan seems to have his feet point outwards all the time...

12. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

heheh! you must mean something like 'flexible' :D. but i think you may as well discard that theory, coz i never got piggyback rides as a child... i guess it's not a family trend :D. neither did my sib, yet she is bow-legged to a greater extent than i am.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can someone tell me if this topic has anything to do with badminton?

14. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    well the original question was about if being bow-legged affects badminton playing, since most proffesionals are straight-legged...so yes it does...even tho we are not being very scientific or even discussing scenarios...but oh well...there's no answer...and in my opnion, i don't htink it matters...just so happened...

15. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

is kwun trying to mean that thios thread is posted in the wrong forum?

16. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    A lot of people have bowed leg. It is a tell-tale that somepoint in your life (early childhood) that you had a bit of a calcium deficiency. The side of your calves should be able to touch each other when you stand straight up. I remember doing this in one of my bio classes and got a bit of an anecdote from the teacher.

17. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    i've always felt my legs were abnormal in some way :rolleyes: no matter what i did i could never make my calves meet :rolleyes:

18. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    You freak!!! Hehe, just kidding my friend. My calves cant touch either, unless i push the muscles from the side together =). I guess that would be cheating. Also, over time I think we naturally develop bowed leg from gravity and age. Gravity sucks, oh well i'm glad i dont have breasts. :p