What to do after serving in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by unregistered, Feb 3, 2005.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Well, ive seen players after serving , would jump on the spot or go into a " trance". I do not really know what is the best way to do afetr serving a high shot to the back, because everytime the opponent does a slcie drop or punches to the back, i cant reach it in time even though im alert and anticipating the shot. Can someone enlighten me on my problem? im a intermediate player and train in the gym regularly.

2. WEBWHISKY

WEBWHISKY Regular Member

web developper
    Hello !

Do you consider your footwork good enough ?
    If you're alert and still can't reach the shuttle, then I would say IMHO that you need to improve your footwork.

One tip that works for me : if you move backward better than you move forward, then try waiting a little bit much to the front of the court, in case of slice or drop shot. If you move better forward, just stay a little bit backward.

Try doing a split step too when the other player hit the shuttle : works great for me.

Hope this helps.

(sorry for my english! :eek: )

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    And remember: don't keep your eyes on the shuttle! As soon as you have served, look at the opponent, try to read his reply.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    interesting! I've never tried this before, I tend to keep my eye on the shuttle. It must be difficult it your opponent is deceptive though.

5. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    i always do a high serve, then try to keep to centre of the court after each shot. Since im able to get myself to go anywhere on the court with 2 splitstep strides.

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Yes, i agree. What you want is kind of a big picture of ur opponent so that you do not react too slowly. However, when playing against a deceptive player, focus more on his arm, raquet and shuttle.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Chances are your serve is not good enough against that particular opponent.

Get a friend to stand 6 feet in front of the singles backline with a racquet (on one side of the court). Hit a high serve. See if they can hit the shuttle when it comes down. If they can touch the shuttle without having to step backwards, your serve is a poor one.

Making the shuttle go right to the back tramlines on a high serve in singles is a really important skill. Watch top players do a high serve (not a flick serve). The receiver nearly always has to have their feet in the rear tramlines when they strike the shuttle. That gives the server a split second more time to cover the replies.

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Originally Posted by Mag
    And remember: don't keep your eyes on the shuttle! As soon as you have served, look at the opponent.

that is absolutely correct. Infact up till recently i have lost many singles matches because I do not watch the opponent - I realized this when trying to figure out why i moved well in warmup and was early on every shuttle, yet in a game for points I am late on every shuttle

the reason is that during warmup I watch opponent to see if he's any good and how he hits the shuttle and I move better and get to shots early - but when In game i tend to start watching just the shuttle and I am late on every shot.... its a hard habit to break if you've always played that way.

as a Rule

* If you Serve High - Look Opponent

* If you Clear (anytime in the match) - Look Opponent

Infact i think the only shot you can watch is the smash - even dropshot - if your opponent moves the shuttle well at the net or has a deceptive flick you have to watch him

but smashing i think its safe to watch shuttle so that you can look for weak replies or flicks crosscourt.

9. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    wow... that is very very dangerous!!
    If you anticipate... and read their movement before they hit... eventually u develop that habit... and I can tell you... playing against an advance player is a ticket to losing hahaha~:D
    They will realise what you are doing.. and you will be easily tricked by their deceptive shots since you are so used to assuming their shots...