Training schema

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jkusmanto, Feb 3, 2005.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Can anybody show me a training schema for 10-15 year old kids ?
    What I mean is a training schema for 1 year/season.

Just example :
    Week 1-4 : grip
    Week 5-8 : underhand - forward footwerk
    Week 7-8 : lob
    Week 9-12 :eek:verhand - sideward footwerk
    Week 11-12 : drive
    Week 12-16 : overhead - backward footwerk
    etc..... etc.... etc

Thus..... which one come first ? and which one must come later ?
    First grip, underhand, overhand, .......
    Or.... grip, overhead, underhand, ....... etc, etc, etc

Thanks.

#1 jkusmanto, Feb 3, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    What is your goal?

Personally, I think the format you are presenting would be very boring. I would hate to just work on grip for 3 weeks. ;)

I personally think it depends on the number of players you have and their skill levels and desire to improve their game versus their desire to just play the game and have fun.

I apologize for not being clear, but it really depends on the group you have.

Take care,
    Toddster

3. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

As a 15 year old myself, I would find learning the grip for 4 weeks very boring as well. I think you should just go over teh grip the first few days and slowly adjust the grip of the children throughout the whole session. 2ndly, I think taht foot work should come before everything so teach it first. Also, don't concentrate on specific things too much unless you are caoching at a high level becuase I am sure many children will get bored if you do. Allow the kids some free time or create some sort of ladder system (Depending on how much time you have).

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It is probably a good idea to have a more general routine, rather than over focussing on such specific skills for such a length of time. Training needs lots of variety, in order to keep the participants interested as well as to prepare them to be able to adapt quickly to a variety of situations.

What I would suggest is to practise maybe one shot of each kind (e.g. overhead shot, net shot, drive, serve) each session. Start from stationary exercises to compound and multi-directional exercises, and eventually to open ended drills.

Good luck with your program

5. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Sorry guy that my question not clear enough.
    The schema that I wrote is not the exact just for a sample.

What I need to know is :
    -How long (hours) to train the grip, footwork, overhead, etc.... ?
    -When is the right moment to train the grip, onderhand, etc ? 1st week ? 2nd week ? or.....
    -What kind of training come first ? Grip, underhand, footwork, or ...... ?
    -What trainings can/must come togerther ?
    -Etc......
    The training is 2 hours, once a week. One year is about 36 times.
    The group of 10-15 years are the beginners, they know badminton as a backyard activity. They about 10-16 persons.

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

If its just two hours a week, spend 15 minutes each day on warming up that is relevant to footwork. Eg running forward and lunging to take a netshot, run back and do a smash then run back forward again, rinse and repeat. I think the lunge and the backward movement is the most important one that they have to learn. You might want them to do side ward running as well.

You can spend one session a month to specifically for footwork if you want, but the rest should just be shot drills to make them be able to play higher quality shots. I think at least one hour should be spent doing various shot exercise each session eg, drive, dropshot, netshot, clears. You do need to let them play some game too so that they find it enjoyable. The target here seems more like an introductory to badminton and not teaching it at high level, seeing how u only have 2 hours a week.

Regarding grip, just show them how to hold the racket correctly once at the beginning of the year. You basically hope that people will get it right, u can go around correcting them individually as time passes.

This was how my ex-coach did it for my high sch.