Which components do you think a great player requires?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nsalah, Feb 3, 2005.

1. nsalah

nsalah Regular Member

At Badminton practise today I was thinking what constructs the best badminton player? Do you think its a combination of flexibility, stamina and strength or is one paramount in your opinion?

In Badminton I think the tactical way in which we thing is of the greatest importance however that can be learnt and practised. However some people are naturally extremely fast, agile, strong, etc.

Therefore I was just thinking what a player needs most and why?

I think its flexibility without it you wouldn't beable to reach some extremely high and long shots no matter how tatically you think. Additionally it means if someones speed or even to extent endurance is quite low they can still continue a rally.

What do you think?

Thanks

2. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

I think it`s confidence (mentally) as pointed out by sun jun in the section "articles". Physically i think it`s speed, as well as a good touch (feeling) for the shuttle.

3. acwong

acwong Regular Member

1) speed...as demonstrated Lin Dan
    2) stamina
    3) skills

well I am talking for singles only, for doubles Strength will be among the top 3

4. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    I hadn't thought about confidence. However, I think that does come into play. For instance, one Friday night I went and played after a few weeks of not playing there. I was playing with guys who I thought were much better than me. Thus, I had a lack of confidence, was tense and nervous, and played pretty poorly!

Of course, your ability to think through a volley and choose where to place the bird, and then you physical ability to actually do that are very important, too.

I'm not sure what the most important is. I'm inclined to think it's not technique. I play with horrible technique and, while I may soon reach a plateau which I can't overcome if I keep playing this way, I actually do pretty well on the court.

Interesting question.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    mental............

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    #1 of it all, is definitely technique.

7. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned style or coolness :p :p

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

without a doubt its consistency which is controlled by your mental processes which directly correlates with confidence which is also mental.

so i guess its all mental lol.

9. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Because badminton is one of the more fair sports, I have to say that dedication is the most important attribute to a pro.

10. Eurasian =--(O)

what do you mean by fair?

11. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Payoff of training is roughly the same for two players. With exceptions, but as opposed to maybe basketball, where "you can't teach height", you really do have to be tall to play at high levels, and height is a major factor. With exception of Earl Boykins maybe. But in badminton, although height does play in, it does not weigh as heavily as in maybe basketball.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think at the very top level, the differentiating factor is Mental for several reasons.

1.Strong players mentally will be able to make themselves train harder, which isn't fun at all, as they know that by doing so they will be improving themselves physically and it may make you more confident in tight situations or help with fighting spirit. Pushing yourself in training is not just doing it everyday, or when scheduled, but when you are doing it make sure you always push yourself faster, higher, or for longer. This takes great mental strength.

2.Good mental strength will enable you to focus and refocus your game throughout matches. When you are in close situations you need to be strong in mind to play the way you know you should, not neccessarily the way you like to/or are best at.

3.Mental strength wil help you find your own tactics and your own methods of learning the strokes. This will help you pick up techniques quicker, and understand for yourself why, how and when you should implement them. Being told by a coach these things helps, but if you dont understand these three things and want to do it, then it will be less beneficial.

I rank Mental strength over Physical abilities (agility, speed, strength, stamina etc..) and skills (footwork, strokes) because at the very highest levels, it must be said that these quality will be Broadly (very broadly) similar.

Also as stated above mental strength can help the development of the physical capabilities and skills.

I rank YangYang as one of the best three players ever due to his mental ability. He was supremly gifted physically, and his techniques were superb, but he always looked focussed and tried his best. Zhao Jian hua, although much more gited in touch, strokes, etc.. and perhaps physical level, his mental strength was not as strong as YY, therefore he was unable to fulfil his potential.

In modern days, Chen hong + Peter Gade are weak mentally, but strong skills wise and as such, will never be truly great players, more so just a very good players. Lin Dan seems quite strong mentally, and physically, but not the best at technique. Taufik is a mixture. When he is playing sometimes he can be very strong mentally, but I dont think he applies so much mental strength to his training, relying more on his tremendous physical ability (I have never seen him lose because of tiredness) and good RACKET skills (not footwork!).

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

jamesd, thanks for typing them out for me :D :)

14. Eurasian =--(O)

i love ur thoughts on these players. I don't think its fair to call them weak tho they are still very gifted mentally... its all relative. In this comparison your comparing these people to the best players of all time! The best players the world has produced in 100 years of badminton! The gene pool of probably who knows 20 or 30 billion ppl alive in the time period! These ppl are all extremely gifted!

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yeah...Maybe "weak" was a bit strong. You can only get great technique like those two from hours of practise, which takes great mental strength of course!

Maybe just in some small areas they are weakER! But these areas have made the difference between them winning and losing when it has counted. It is quite frustrating actually, they have almost every they need to be legends, but just fall a little short. Not too late for either of them (chen or Gade) to make it at a big one (OG or WC) but time is running out.

Yang Yang is the only male to have won the (Official)WC twice, although Rudy Hartono won Unofficial (AE) WC 5(?) times consecutivley!! wow!! I have yet to see any videos of him though.

16. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
  17. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    what about:

-bad attitude
    -hitting spectators
    -looking cool on court
    -being wild
    -bad, bad, bad , and bad attitude!, haha, sorry,thats nonsense, its just that sometimes players whose attitudes are bad tend to be good players:D , but not ever players do,just that there are 2 players that do,,lol, u know the u-know-who,,,:D

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. aktiuf aathiyd <--- I presume it's him!!

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

didnt thot jamesd had exaggerated. Of course it's all relative, it is wel understood that jamesd was comparing CH and PG among their peers and not with us recreational players. If comparing CH and PG to us, mental weakness isnt the only thing we are flawed

20. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    well, he is,lol:D ! i feel we need some 'fresh air' in badminton, u know, sinner among saints,,not that i dont like nice players, of course i like them! what would the world be if there are no nice ones right? but , i dont know, i always had a thing for eccentricity, when he leaves the court when the game is still on, or doing some childish things, i somehow think that its funny (and annoying):D , and by the way, he plays really good right:D ? the comlaints are just the 'additional entertainment' for me:D