Problems with Motivation on Club Night as Opposed to Playing Matches.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jimbouk, Feb 3, 2005.

1. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    Hi,

Recently i have found I'm struggling to motivate myself when playing 'friendly' games during club night as opposed to playing league matches aginst opposing teams. I kinda feel that it doesn't matter as much when you are playing your mates with nothing on the line and nothing to show for a win - consequently i play like a real Lemon on club nights but play like a demon in league matches - does anyone else feel like this or understand where i'm coming from? it's not that i dont enjoy club nights but there is the abscence of the buzz from competition that i miss!

2. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Perfectly understandable, if not helpful. Try to set up 'match practice' nights' once a month and play people in their match pairings against team mates. If you are in the B team, challenge the A team to a match. Failing that get a court outside clubnight and three mates and take no prisoners.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Incentives

Sometimes you need some incentives to keeping going and to help you get out of your boredom.

It is not uncommon for club players in Singapore to place a few bets. You can play for drinks or for cash or whatever you can think of which both sides will agree (like a treat to dinner or the cinema for the winner). With something at stake, one tends to put in more focus and effort into the game and try his best to win. This is especially relevant in doubles as you do not wish to let your partner down and instead, you will try to cajole each other to do his best.

If you want more excitement, increase your stakes. But please don't overdo it! :D

BTW, I hardly play for stakes. ;)