"Home gym advantage" due to gym construction

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jinryu, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    When I started off badminton and wasn't serious about it, I used to play at gyms all around the city, and I wasn't really concerned about the finer details of technique, physical training, equipment, etc... lately though, I tend to play mostly at one gym, where the floors aren't wood, but a compositie PVC sort of hard, rubbery surface. The great thing I find is that this kind of floor provides excellent traction, yet doesn't rip your skin off during the occasional dive, and has a slightly 'kushy' rebound feel to it that makes you springier, and it doesn't scratch your racket during shuttle scoops or those really desparate low shots. When on this court, its as if I feel extra agile on it, and I'm ready for anything. (Of course, my opponents have the same advantages)

I've been playing at this gym for something like the past 4-5 months now, and I really like the floor... it's everything I could ask for in terms of a good turf. Lines are clearly marked in contrasting colors. Can't really say i like the lighting or the things hanging from the ceiling, butt he point is, i've gotten used to it, and I consider this my 'home gym'.

However, yesterday I went to play at a different gym... it wasn't a dedicated badminton court, it was an all purpose gym used for everything from badminton and basketball to volleyball and indoor hockey. Before I started playing, I was evaluting the players in game to see who would be the closest match to my skill level. I picked my target, and then...

I lost! 15-7, 15-10, 15-8!

Though he was a good player, I was so certain, evaluting his technique and strategy, that I could have beat him in my own gym... but that gym, if i was to 'blame the equipment', god, was that SLIPPERY! The gym floor was also a glossy wood, the lights were strangely different and the badminton lines were done in white, which didn't contrast very well with the floor... add in that my footwork just wasn't working due to the slipperyness (I'm a chasse person, and it seemed that almost everyone there was a 'small quick step' sorta person) it was really difficult for me to judge my distance while tracking high clears. I lost many points because what I thought would be out by a foot was actually in by a foot--not very high quality clears, but because the initial push of my backwards footwork had some of it's energy 'absorbed' by slipping, my distance judgement was always a bit off.

And of course, lighting-- Mavis 350 whites literally dissapeared from my vision sometimes.

Heh. Well, I'm sure that after playing there more often, I'll get the hang of it... (i'm going to join their badminton program as well, just so that I can get used to these kinds of setups).

i'm just mentioning this to see if anyone else has noticed similarly that you've grown accustomed to your own gym, and find yourself flatfooted when you're the "visiting team". Also, have any of you had to 'change your footwork' due to similar circumstances?

I fear that playing too often on excellent courts has made my footwork lazy! I'd imagine, for the most part, that people who normally play on slippery floors would find it easier to adapt to good gripping floors than vice versa.

2. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    the home gym that you describe seems to be rubber courts, the tournament types while the away gym use the common pacquet (sp?) wood. The wood court can get slippery if your shoes lack grip or court is dusty.

I think it's important to play a variety of courts so that one will not get lazy :D