smashing from back court

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Feb 6, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I have a hard smash and I'm very fit thanks to 6 years of martial arts. I never get extremely tired physically but sometimes I feel like I can't concentrate. I can grab rim when I jump. Ok heres my question. Should I jump smash from back court (steeper angle/ able to place the shuttle where I want it to go) ground smash (no advantages here I think) or just clear it/drop it. I have a stronger smash than 90% of the people on my team, but is it wise to smash it from back court, as its pretty easy to return it since the birdy slows down. :confused:

I once saw a match where both players cleared it from one side to another because both were afraid to smash/drop. :confused:

Theres also one thing I want clearification on. When dropping, you should contact it around net height right? I still constantly see people contacting the birdy near the ground when dropping. I see no advantage in dropping it from the ground, yet if you contact it net high, you can change directions of the birdy more easily with only a flick of your wrist.

Oh and one more thing, when they hit it to my back hand and their shot is a lob/clear I have a hard time either clearing it or anything. When I clear it it goes either mid court or closer. Then they just smash it :crying:. Should I try dropping it? But then if they redrop to the far right side (my forhand) then I wont be able to return it.

#1 checkthemc, Feb 6, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

vary your shots, sometimes smash, sometimes drops, and sometimes clear... although clearing is for when your opponents are close to the net or moving forward... make sure the clear is an attack clear (somewhat low clear, barely over their reach) unless you are in trouble...

you should contact the bird asap. a lot of people have the habit of contacting it low to the ground which is a disadvantage because it's easy to predict the direction and the opponent has more time to get to it. plus it has a higher risk of the bird going higher than you want it to...

practice on your footwork so first of all you can get behind the bird... then practice on your shots...

3. meteo

meteo Regular Member

will dance for free shuttles
    You didnt' specify if you were playing singles or doubles.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you should concentrate on improving your bandhand clear and drop first before worrying about whether jumpsmashing is good or not.

5. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    cool

Good advice from everybody. I do play singles. But I don't think I made a key point clear enough. Whats the advantage of smashing on the ground over smashing in the air?:confused:. Only thing I see is accuracy perhaps?:confused:. I'm totally confused here

6. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    faster recovery time for you. if your opponent has good defense he can simply block your jump smash and drop it over the net on your side.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    In both cases, the player probably reached the shuttle too late. You get lots more shot options when you're taking the shuttle infront of you, receiving high shot on the backhand side most often forces you to take it past your shoulder so that you can only clear to save the rally. If playing singles, try to move your 'base' further back so that backcourt shots are a step less to retrieve than before.

Also, do you mean netshots? Drops are executed from the backcourt. When you do a drop at the front court, it's either a push/block or netshot. Some people maybe more accustomed to making a drop shot later than optimal, but usually one should take any shot at the earliest possible moment.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. If that's the high lvl match, I don't think the players are lack of confidence of their own smashes. More likely, they are worried about if the smash does not nail opponent in 1 shot, the slower recovery and higher chance of error will result in losing the rally.

2. Smash takes a lot of energy. A quick kill actually saves opponent's energy in some situation. In a long teeth to teeth fight, stamina plays very important role especially at the end. Play aggressive is a must, but play smart is even more important in a long run. ;)

9. llp1kab0oll

llp1kab0oll Regular Member

jump smashes not only give you a greater downwards angle, but it also gives you more power, when u jump, i THINK that ur body weight gets transferred into your swing...somehow:confused:

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you jump high, you must wait until you land before moving. So a high jumpsmash means a slower recovery.

11. ymerej

ymerej Regular Member

Hi, like most ppl have said, a choice of whether to jump smash or drop from the backcourt depends on situation. If the birdy is high in the air and you can get to it on time and really get into position to jump smash by all means go for it, but remember to aim at the side tramlines or away from your opponent, a good jump smash needs angle, placement and power also. However, after jump smashing dont be complacent and think its always gonna be a winner, anticipate as if they can return it so when u land move in towards their return. (Remember your recovery is slower after jump-smashing so anticipation and rapid movement is crucial).

Sometimes its good to use deception from the back, go for the jump smash but instead disguise it as a fast drop or even a slow sliced drop away from the opponent. Remember again, anticipate that they will return your shot and move in back to your base position and get ready. Being ready for their next shot is extremly important, dont just hit the shuttle and stare at how beautiful your shot was. After hitting, get back in position and get ready.

#11 ymerej, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    The advantage of a jump smash can be more placements, angle and intimidation. Arguably, a proper jump smash is the coolest shot in the game! However, as many others said, your recoil is that much greater and if it is not conducted properly, it could damage your legs/knees.

As for the people clearing back and forth, they need sum confidence boosters!:p. Or you have have mistaken their warmup ;)

13. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Hmm...I want to know are you talking about singles or doubles...? If you are talking about singles, it depends on your suituation..Smashing isn't always the thing for singles...But for doubles, smashing shouldn't be a problem since you have a partner to back you up.

14. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    When smashing from the very back, I find that (i'm assuming) at lower levels of play, angle is FAR more important than power. (cough cough quik silver) As a powerful smash without angle can really get hammered/countered. In doubles and singles I find that angle with moderate power is better than all out smash that is high, depending on the situation of course. But if the opposition has a clue of how to defend, a high smash will get you in a lot of trouble.

Edit: And oh, btw, accuracy is more important than power too. (I'm assuming you don't have Ha Tae Kwan power smashing). Pretty important to consistently hit near the lines in singles, and to find the right spots in doubles (middle, racket shoulder/hip, lines when least expecting, openings).

#14 BethuneGuy, Sep 11, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    smash and back hand.

Just keep on jumping and smash it. Thats the rule of thumb when you play badminton. Offensive gives better chances of winning.

For backhand, just familiarize with your wrist and timing. See how others do it.
    rgds:D

16. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I feel a little different. if you do a weak drop, then your opponent has many more choices such as driving/dropping/lifting. If you smash, your opponent (assuming they are at similar level) can only lift or do a weak drop. So what if it doesn't kill in 1 shot? You can keep smashing and eventually, you'd be tired:p :p :p but stamina games arent as important at non-professional levels.

17. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

you dont ALWAYS need to jump. but u can, you should ALWAY jump. you dont always have to jump smash tho :). jumping can be used to trick ur opponents. you can do a jump slice, or jump fast clear. but always remember to jump if ur recieving a high serve, it helps a LOT