Playing Squash

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by magicsushi, Feb 7, 2005.

1. magicsushi

magicsushi Regular Member

Does anybody here play squash aswell as Badminton?

I play squash from time to time and recently have been playing it a little more regulalrly (weekly) in addition to playing badminton twice a week.

Now I've heard that besides smashing practice, using a squash racket in badminton training is not a good idea as your body begins to employ different muscles to generate more power at the expense of speed and agility.

If this is true, then by the same token, could it be argued that playing squash on a weekly basis is going to be detrimental to my badminton game?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts

:)

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer

Using a squash racket is a great way to train your wrist and forearm strenght!
    Many good badminton-players use this as a trainingtool to practice under-arm shots, defence etc.. (some even uses tennis rackets when getting really strong :) )

At your training level (2 times a week).. I do not think your squash-play will hurt your badminton (probably the opposite, as the stamina, and arm-strength gained will benefit you in badminton as well).. If you are serious about your badminton (want to compete at higher levels) I think its a bad idea to do too much squash training (better to focus on badminton for those sessions :) ) as the fotwoork is vastly different, and the explosiveness also tend to suffer (my expereince is that squash player aren't as explosive, and the skipping, jumping and lounging of badminton will suffer if correct squash movement is in focus..

My 2 cents,
    Twobeer

3. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Hello,

I play squash as well and the took some lessons from a pro. The proper stroke in squash is way different. Your wrist is always cocked/locked in squash, most of your power comes from your hips, and the weight shift in your legs. However, that being said a lot of the pros, such as Jonathon Powers, put a lot of wrist in their shots. So who knows. Overall, it probably doesnt hurt you if you're just intermediate player. I think it helped me because i have a nasty habit of not holding my racquet up. In both sports i get yelled at for not doing this so im getting better at it. My reaction time has improved. I also think a lot of the foot work is similar in my opinion. You still are lounging, etc. Atleast i move the same way i do on the squash court and the badminton court. Mind you if you're really good in squash you dont really have to move at all . I guess that goes the same for badminton :)

4. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I used to use a squash racquet and ball for training when I couldn't get to a badminton gym. However, I had to use a racquetball court, as squash courts were even scarcer than badminton facilities.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Nope that doesn't work for badminton! If your opponent is skilled, you will not be able to "read" the shots and thus have to move deep (sometimes even outside the court!!) as there is no walls that will give you a "second chance" :)

/Twobeer

6. acwong

acwong Regular Member

how about playing badminton with a squash racket? (not just hitting against the wall, but playing real games), is it going to help?

7. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Uhm,

i've shadowed badminton strokes with a squash racquet. They are a bit heavier and offer more air resistance. I don't know how good that would be on your arm/shoulders and wrist playing with one. It probably wont be very good, and you may end up hurting your self.