The English National Badminton Championships - Manchester, UK

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by stealth, Feb 7, 2005.

1. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    [​IMG]
    I had the privaledge this past weekend of getting photographer access to the English National Badminton Championships, for which I thank the E.N.B. Press Officer and all the other guys who helped by making me feel welcome.

I watched for the first time Nathan Robertson & Gail Emms Olympic 2004 Silver medalists in mixed doubles playing, along with all the other members and potential members of the English team. I am processing the many images and will post more to http://www.sportpictures.co.uk/cpg132/index.php?cat=6 when I finally get ten minutes.

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Nice pics! :)

Got any results??

3. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
  4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    wow - did you get any more - i was linejudging the whole weekend - it was ace!

rather disappointed that nathan and bob didn't beat simon and anthony - nathan seemed to be off the boil all weekend.

and simon was pretty fired up - i mean - who else would square up to an equally aggressive peter jefferey in the mens doubles semi??!! not the greatest example - but exciting none the less..

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I saw Tracey Hallam was beaten in singles!...

6. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    Plenty more but have only had a couple of hours to sort out some of the good keepers, but I'm sure when I have another subjective look their will be many more that I could post. But I have to be careful to not post too many because I only have a distinct amount of web space and bandwidth available and I visit 2 - 6 events per month presently, in all different sports. So I will soon run out of space.

Have you checked the website - http://www.sportpictures.co.uk - keep an eye on it as I will add possibly 20 more pictures from each of the two days I was able to attend.

Thank you for your kind words, and I look forward to attending my next Badminton event, although sitting on the floor for 2+ hours is not to be recommended!

I will post here again when I have managed to upload some of the extra pictures. I was shooting from Saturday 5pm - Sunday Close of play, are there any pictures that you would like to see?

#6 stealth, Feb 7, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  7. coops241180

Product Owner
    thats' great! - i'll keep my eyes on your site - hope you get to do more baddy photo's - will you get chance to do the masters at preston maybe?

do you send your pictures to the local press?

seven - yeah Tracey was ill all weekend though - she was really really struggling in her semi against jill pittard..

there was only aamir and nathan and gail that were first seeds and won - jo and ella lost to donna and gail(altho i'm not surprised), nathan and bob lost to simon and anthony (thought it would have at least gone to three - and actually think nathan and bob were tired from the mixed final earlier in the day)

some good points from the weekend though - nathan rice is certainly an up and coming star for english badminton -even after rollig his ankle and wearing a heavy support most of the weekend he still managed to run nick kidd close. Also Mark Constable is back - and rumour has it that he has beaten aamir twice recently - altho that may be down to aamir being ill and injured also i'm not sure.

david lindley and Suzanne Rayappan were on fire all weekend and it took nathan and gail to stop them after they had bearen kris roebuck and liza parker.

kelly matthews adn nat munt look like a strong pairing after losing out in three to jo and ella.

all in all english badminton is alive and kicking - andy smith looks very good - but carried a back injury which stopped him in the semi unfortunately..

8. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
  9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    A fired up Simon Archer is a sight to behold, I certainly might think twice about even hitting it back to him for him to smash it :eek:

10. coops241180

Product Owner
    yes - shame he lay in the players area for about 45 minutes after the final with an ice pack on his knee though. he was in some serious pain throughout most of the final apparently. testament to the drive of the guy though.

even if ian palethorpe called him a geriatric in the semi :D

thanks for the pics stealth - any more to come - perhaps some of the mens final?

11. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    A few more images added... Tuesday 00.59!

12. coops241180

Product Owner
    hurrah! - keep going stealth - the picture of archie is excellent!

13. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    And a few more...

14. Iaincs

Iaincs Regular Member

Accountant
    Excellent pictures from an enjoyable weekend. I can even see me in the crowd under Ghaffar's elbow on one of them!!!

I missed the Saturday afternoon session though, so can someone tell me what happened between Archer and Jeffrey?

15. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    Its coming around again, The English National Badminton Championships will be starting again on the 2nd February, 2007, from the Manchester Velodrome again. Once again I have been granted the right to photograph at the event and will be adding images on a daily - if not hourly basis on my new and updated bloggerised website - www.sportpictures.co.uk. The links originally posted are no longer live and if you wish to see the badminton images then they have now been moved onto my Flickr account here - www.flickr.com/photos/sportpictures/

16. stealth

stealth Regular Member

Freelance Photographer
    English National Badminton Championships 2007

coops241180 were you line-judging again in 2007

If so you will be in this picture!

[​IMG]

Which one are you?

#16 stealth, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  17. coops241180

Product Owner
    your right - i was line judging again - i'm the young lad 6 from the left at the back - stood next to my dear old dad (grey with glasses)

a cracking couple of days - altho nathan and gails antics on court were far from sportspersonlike - altho i suppose it's all part of the game.

coops