badminton, keeping it fun

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by odjn, Feb 9, 2005.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I've recently gotten a very athletic female friend of mine into playing badminton, and she likes the sport. The first time she played she loved the sport, but now she says she only likes it. I'm afraid she'll fall more outta love with such a great sport, so i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could keep her from the point where she ...

"doesn't want to play anymore cus badminton is boring for her"

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Why she thinks it's boring:

1. Lack of improvement? - some drills might get her going

2. Lack of competition? - time to go to more competitve clubs

3. Lack of off court activities? - time to bring her around, and intro. some new buddies...

4. Care too much about win / lose? - time to train her in mentality strength...

You need to provide a bit more detail, like why she thinks it's boring...

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    It seems that when we go to open gyms, either the place is really crowded, we can't evenly match up in skills with the others on the court, or there isn't enough time to be playing.

I'm sure she doesn't care about winning or losing, but when we do win it seems like there's no....

"ALRIGHT WE WON!!!!!!!"

even if it was a close game.

I tell her she is improving which she is, but maybe that's making her feel like she doesn't "have" to come play.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seems the problem of "lack of court time" drags her back. I mean, she can't get enough drills, and can't get into a flow. Maybe more and more, she starts to treat it more like a social outing rather than competitive sports / work out.

Maybe bring her to other clubs, which offers better court time, prefer higher lvl of playing. Once she got her eyes caught on all the intensive movements, she might pick up the desire of learning again. :rolleyes:

5. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Watch Videos ^^ show her who powerful a smash can be, how tigh a drop can be done, and how fast this game can go. works for a bunch of my friends :D