Smashes-Power or Aiming

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pebulutangkis, Aug 24, 2001.

1. What do you guys feel is more important, the power or the aiming.

For me, my power is not as strong as some of the ppl i play with, but i can aim at the lines more accurately than them, so they still have trouble recovering the shuttle. of course the ideal is the combiantion of both, which would be very very hard to take a smash as hard as candra wijaya which lands on the LINE.

P.S: i'm confident of my aiming, but do u guys have any way to increase the power?

2. jayes

jayes Guest

From my limited experience, placement and power of smash are both important. However, placement is a wee-bit more crucial than power. With practice and proper technique, you can increase power. I know guys who have powerful smashes but bad placement and their smashes can be returned easily. Some of the smashes are even going out.

3. Tim

Tim Guest

If the person has bad defense, then power away....
    but, if the person is returning them, start aiming.
    I do both...depending on the person's style of defense.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good advice tim. Knowing the techniques is one thing but knowing when to apply them is what make one successful. Although i'm rooted in singles techiques, i do play lot of doubles. It is more satisfying to win a point from multiple smashes than from just 1 or 2 smashes. I smashes until the opponent make a weak return or until they have moved out of position and then i finish it with a smash or drop into an open spot. I just noticed lately that all my smashes were from half cocked position. I then tried winding up to 75-80% cocked position, wow, 25% more speed but less accurate to where i want the bird to land. I need someone to practice on my accuracy from the 80% power stroke. Any takers

5. happy guy

happy guy Guest

Re: MRC this sunday.

hi cooler,

if kelvin is not pulling my leg, i think i know who you are. i'm glad you more into single than double, i also enjoy single more because i been losing all my double games since i started playing double. i been playing with kl every sunday for the last 4 weeks in double, not fun, he is too good in double, wouldn't mind playing a single game with you or kl or both if this sunday is not too busy. my partner, kelvin, howard, and few other from vsls will be there this sunday, hope to see you there.

regarding to pratice on your smash, you should contact eric (don't know his last name but he is black) who once play at MRC on sunday. he been asking me to pratice with him, but i'm too lazy and too busy. he too is working on his smash and would like someone to pratice with. maybe i will ask him to come too this sunday.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

Just back from Alberta... been there for 5 days in Calgary and Banff area. Too bad did not have more time to explore around regarding badminton.

About smashing I would say power and placement are important. But also is your technique. If your opponent can 'see' where you are sending your shuttle, probably power and placement would not be enough.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

i think i know who is this eric guy u r talking about. He has strong wrist but not so great footwork nor his smash is accurate, just the flat kind, goes out a lot with plastic shuttles. I'll try to make it on sunday but no guarantee. I paid for the whole year already but only shows up about 33% of time.

8. Re: MRC this sunday.

my smash lands about the middle if u measure from right at the back to the net. placement is between 10 cm to the line consistently. at times i smash from out of position but even if it is flat smash also will land near the line.

9. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming

I believe Byro might be the guy u're looking for, he smashes damn hard :p

Anyway I believe u need to make full use of ur wrist actually in order to have a very powerful smash.

The arm swing just add to the momentum I think as there was once I swing very slow but still have a decent smash when I snap the wrist pretty hard.