What happened to Sony Dwi Kuncoro?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by prince_user, Feb 10, 2005.

1. prince_user

prince_user Regular Member

Does anyone here have any idea what happened to Sony Dwi Kuncoro? Is he injured or something? I ask this as I was reading the thread on Indonesian players participating in the German, AE, and Swiss Opens and his name does not appear there?

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    yes, he is injured, something between his toes from what ive read, he is injured since china open, but he just had an operation (well, not recently, but i guess its after IO), he is still staying in training camp, he said he didnt want to go home becos he was afraid that his family will think that he was injured badly or sumthin like that, he said he was only doing light practice untill he is fully recovered

3. Mrs Kuncoro

Mrs Kuncoro Regular Member

aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww poor soni :crying: :crying: :crying:
    even though this happened a while ago

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Mrs Kuncoro is happy

Badminton: No more Olympic blues for comeback boy Sony
    AFP - Monday, September 22TOKYO, Sept 22, 2008 (AFP) - Indonesian badminton ace Sony Dwi Kuncoro is poised for his third Super Series title of the year at the China Masters this week, after a weekend win in Japan that helped ease his Olympic heartbreak.

After a month of training and soul-searching, he swept aside world number one Lee Chong Wei 21-17, 21-11 to win the Japan Open -- in a turnaround from his 21-9, 21-11 quarter-final defeat to the Malaysian at the Beijing Games.

"I was really devastated by my Olympics defeat. But I knew I had a long time ahead as a badminton player and many other tournaments to play," said the 24-year-old, who won the bronze medal at the Athens Olympics four years ago.

"I have really worked hard in coming back," he said.

"I have trained for three weeks to one month, hoping to face Chong Wei at this tournament and beat him no matter what," said Dwi Kuncoro, the world number six who won the Indonesian Open in June.

"I set my targets at the Japan Open and the China Masters. I stayed focused but played in a calm and relaxed manner," he said. "I feel really happy to win here and prove that I'm not always less capable than Chong Wei."

Reversing the recent trend in their rivalry, the Indonesian stunned Lee in the round of 16 at the world championships last year before losing to China's Lin Dan in the final.

In Beijing, Lin overwhelmed Lee in the gold-medal showdown.

With Lin and Lee not in the China Masters draw, Dwi Kuncoro will be the favourite in Changzhou as the eighth round of the 12-leg Super Series world tour kicks off on Tuesday.

Another Indonesian, world number eight Simon Santoso, won the Taiwan Open, an event on the second-tier Grand Prix series, a week earlier.

"I believe that Indonesia have depth of talent among men. I hope the winner in China will be from Indonesia again," Dwi Kuncoro said.

Lin, a soldier in the People's Liberation Army, resisted playing at the Japan Open or defending his China Masters title, citing his need for rest after busy weeks of Olympic gold-medal celebration which kept him out of training.

Lee pulled out from the China Masters as he struggled to find his form here, after winning Malaysia's only Olympic medal in Beijing and resting just for a few full days.

He said he was not sure if he would compete next week at the Macau Open, another second-tier event, as planned.

"I want to rest up and readjust myself before deciding when I play next," Lee said.

"I was trapped by Sony's rhythm and I couldn't keep up with his speed," he said after losing in 41 minutes with a run of unforced errors. "I couldn't move as I wanted to and I really hated that."

His coach Misbun Sidek said Lee needed to come here as the defending champion although he had the flu a week earlier.

"He was struggling. Normally, he never struggles and he just plays his game. It was good enough for him to reach the final," Sidek said.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That wacky Sony. I told myself I was going to tear up my SDK fan club card if he did poorly in the Olympics. But now he goes and picks up the Japan Open.

He admitted in one interview quoted somewhere in the forum that one of his problems was concentrating for a whole game without his mind wandering. He is graced with such speed and power. But like all of us mortals he admits to daydreaming at work. A hero for the common salaryman!
    Go Sony!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i thot u work on commission;):p

7. scherzando

scherzando Regular Member

Student
    There's a SDK Fan club? With cards? Lol. I never knew. :D (So the card is still intact now?)

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Of course the card is still intact (with a little cellophane tape;)).

Working by commision sounds too commercial. I like to think that my good works are supported by donations of kindly Canadian taxpayers.:D

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Pretty much..

..as wacky as Sony is, his wackiness is not as bad as that of his other famous compatriot...;)

In any rate, the bit about Sony's game and his "common" weakness (which he mentioned), it's quite true. But more so, IMO, he has a tendency to get influenced by/drawn to his opponents' game, esp. when the chips are down and the tough gets going. In other words, mentally he's not as sharp or perhaps tough. About his speed and power, i would say he's about equal to Taufik, more or less. Although skills-wise he's not as talented as Taufik, he makes it up by being a diligent player, a battler.
    Hope with this yr's success (sans the Olympics vs. LCW), it'll breed more in the future.:cool:

#9 ctjcad, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Re: mental fortitude

ctjcad,

May I ask your opinion? Does Sony play more tournaments than most at his level? (keeping his ranking by playing more low level tournaments). I believe that even the most talented player is going to suffer from "ennui" if he is playing every week, and practicing every day.
    We are all human and need variety in life to keep our interest/drive up.

It's just as bad as those poor kids made to practice piano 8hr/day. Sure they're good, but are they happy? Are they creative or has their imagination been crushed by mindless repetition?

Maybe instead of more intense practice some atheletes need more vacation to recharge their mental focus.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Maybe and hopefully Sony has finally seen the light??..^^

Re the first question, i think our other Indonesian BCers would be able to give you a better answer. But from what i know, he's been INA's #2 MS player for quite some times (actually he was even considered #1 recently, ahead of Taufik, esp. after his Indonesian Open SS win; maybe he is still now). And i think his participation in higher ranking tourneys (e.g. SS, WC etc.) is higher/more than lower level ones (e.g. GP, GP Gold).

As to why and what could be the reason for his lack of consistency/good results?
    Maybe it's a combination of his compounding injuries which resulted in his lack of consistent performance. I also am not sure if you know (maybe you know), but he was quite hampered with injuries between 2005-2006 or 2007. He once suffered quite a severe injury (foot), where he couldn't play any tourney for at least half a yr, if not mistaken (as mentioned in other threads). I think this is his first time in quite some time where he has had a pretty injury-free period.

As for him or other players similar to him needing a long vacation or break from the everyday practice routines, personally i don't know. Also, maybe it's the coach, which has turned his game around. He used to be coached by Joko Supriyanto til 2006 or 2007, if not mistaken. Since then, he's been under the tutelage of Hendrawan.

Whatever it is, hopefully this would be the turning point for him; who knows, he could be one of those late bloomers.;):cool:

#11 ctjcad, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Before last year, Sony only managed to win the Asian Championships (3 times in 2002, 2003, 2005), the Olympics Bronze (2004), and SEA Games Individual (2005).

He was plagued by injuries after the Athens Olympics, which hampered his progress for the next 2 years. Only last year, he began to show some improvements in terms of reaching the World Championships Final (losing to Lin Dan), and winning his FIRST GP Title in the Chinese-Taipei Open GP Gold. Then, he only showed mediocre performance for the remaining tourneys, like losing badly to Chen Jin in the Hong Kong Open. His best performance was reaching QF in those SS events, thus, I give him the nickname "Mr Quarter-Final".

This year, Sony finally WON 2 Super Series titles in the Indonesia and Japan Opens, after another mediocre half-a-year, culminating in the loss at the Thomas Cup SF.

13. hiltonmoreira9

hiltonmoreira9 Regular Member

student
    is there any SDK fans club?
    where? Im Indonesian and I dont know about that LOL

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Should we start a fan club for him??..^^

...maybe our Fidget could lead the charge??..;)

*Appreciate the mini recap of Sony's pro career, badMania. Besides culminating in the loss at the Thomas Cup QF, he also lost in the QF round at the same hands of LCW in this yr's Olympics (21-9, 21-11). That nickname, you gave him, sure sounds more apt, doesn't it??..:rolleyes: :eek::p

15. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Thanks for the info, badMania. :) I remember reading the "Mr. Quarterfinal" name in a post before the Olympics. Clever. Let's hope he can put that moniker behind him.

ctjcad, re:SDK fan club....I'm not the one to lead it :p(recreational level unilingual Canadian... and just too fickle to be anyone's diehard fan).

But hiltonmoreira9 , perhaps this could be your new calling? First-ever President of SDK Fan International!;):)

#15 Fidget, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It now seems to me there is much similarity between SDK and BCL. Both are capable players but lacks mental sharpness. They always seem lost on court, not knowing what to do, when their opponents are playing well.

17. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Congrats for Sony for winning 3 consecutive SSs!

Oh, and I won't be surprised if some people will comment, "LOLOLOLOL. Makes sense. LD didn't participated in those 3. LOLOLOLOLOL."
    ;):p

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...should anyone make a new thread for sony???...with a better thread name???

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

So....Sony has proven me wrong. It's no mean feat beating the WR#2-4 in the space of 1 week.

20. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Cmon guys... Sony has always been a good player.
    Bronze medalist at age 20. Not to mention his other achievements and titles
    at such a young age in his earlier stages of the career.
    His smashes nowadays are deadlier as his body slowly matures.
    Its been a while since he made an impact in the scene due to his injuries..
    But just look at how he came back, lets hope for the best for Sony.
    Sony is just damn brilliant and I love watching him play.
    For those who doubted him, come on give this man some credit.
    He has achieved a lot more than many other players in the circuit.