too much wrist?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pikashy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. pikashy

pikashy New Member

recently, i had been experiencing some wrist pains or soreness in my right hand. this occurs after playing badminton and it really hurts when i'm on the computer. during badminton, i can play, smash do anything without feeling the discomfort but once after the game and when i'm on the computer, my wrist and my palm start hurting. my doctor said this was nothing that i should worry about.

i watched a video clip of myself and i was wondering if there can be anything such as using too much wrist and not enough arm. also, i put on a chinese patch that feels like it burns because of its healing effect.

anyone have any suggestions as to why this might happen?

here's a clip that i watched of myself over and over to see if i was doing anything wrong. i'm really worried about my wrist pain.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4208517e_33d4/bc/My+Documents/1.wmv?bf_PFDCBXZRCFHAv
    (just click open)

#1 pikashy, Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  2. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Well, I can't really tell by looking at the video, but your i guess "whipping" motion seems different from mine. Seems like you do more of a loop, but i dunno it might just be me. As I told someone a while ago regarding computer use, I use to have this problem, and the problem was my posture and the position you use your computer. Especially when clicking on all the topics on the badminton forum =D, i start to feel a discomfort, a stiffness almost. It mostly has to do with the keyboard and the way you type. Usually, you shouldn't be resting the bottom of your palm on the desk while clicking on the mouse but most people do. I suggest getting one of those pads that you can rest your palms on while typing on the keyboard and clicking on the mouse. And about the pain in your wrist and palm, are you stretching your wrist and hands before you play? Try loosening instead of TIGHTENING too much when you do your shots. If you tighten too much, you won't have an effective shot and you might hurt yourself. After I play, i usually restretch them or massage them so they won't be too uncomfortable.

#2 GiGaChip, Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Wrong grip maybe? My technique was slightly wrong and I hurt my wrist one time. I'm not sure. Just a guess.

4. pikashy

pikashy New Member

i usually don't warm up my wrists, maybe that might be the problem. are there any other ways to help prevent this and any other warmups besides just rotating the wrist?

for my computer, i do have keyboard and mouse rests that raise my palm above the table.

i tried to change my form today so i would use more arm than my wrist. i have considerably less power because i'm afraid i would hurt my wrist.

5. ao314

ao314 Regular Member

Student
    My suggestion is not to rest your wrists or hand on anything when typing (or using the mouse), even on a wrist pad. Wrist pads are designed to be used only when you are not typing. Also when your arms/hands get tired from being in the air - then it is time for a break.

Regards
    Andrew O

6. Kengo

Kengo New Member

CSR
    I've the same problem but my pain occur during the games , which is frustrating . I've been doing weights exercise which might have caused too much stress to the waist. I'm still looking for way to strengthen my waist to eliminate this hindrance to a fun game. Will appreciate any suggestions .

Kengo in MN