Y am i so weak?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Feb 13, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Recently i played a friend in singles and he noted that my smashes were as weak as his drives and that they were very slow. Also i can't clear baseline to baseline and he can. We've been playing for 5 months both of us and yet i'm still very weak, i have the proper technique, after talking to people they say that my form looks alright.. So y am i so weak?

2. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

oh btw my clears go from baseline to about doubles service line

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum well my 1st guess would be the technique...but you say that some people say that its alright, well in my opinion alright means that there is room for improvment, for your smash make sure you are using your wrist and try and put ur body behind it if you can same thing for clears put your body behind it and well try and get other people to see how you play like some "pro" players that go to your gym or club and see what they have to say.

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    can these people clear from end to end:p (using the correct technique and not just homegrown technique+massive effort).....with the right technique, an end to end clear (using right speed shuttles:p) should not take that much effort

5. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Umm.... how about ur Equitment? its a playable racquet with a tension thats high enough to produce power right? and also, how about ur position? are u behind the bird befor you hit it, or are u right under the bird?

6. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Rackets makes also a difference. If you use flexible racket strung at 18lbs. What I suggest is try to clear as far and as high as possible until you find the sweet spot. If you try to do attack clears from the base line and it's not far enough after doing short stops, then you're required to do some work out a bit.

For smashes, work on forearms, baby!

7. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

i use a karakal slti-80 racket. when i smash i'm just a lil' bit behind the birdy. i try to hit the birdy straight, and it dives down a little, doesn't go up at all or very little. When i smash it depends on where i am, if i can use my wrist then i do, otherwise i won't becuase it'll go down into the ground. sometimes i might

8. sablechapter

sablechapter New Member

student
    omg

dood, train your wrist with a can of soup...
    unless u wanna take roids...

9. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

you arent weak... :rolleyes: <sarcastic face

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

They're wrong. You do not have "the proper technique".

Unless you suffer from a degenerative muscular atrophy, then you will be strong enough to clear baseline to baseline with better technique.

There's a relationship between stength and technique. The more strength you have, the worse your technique can be to produce a certain level of power.

Let's say strength is a number from 1 to 100, and so is technique. Higher numbers = better strength or technique.

S * T = P

Where S is strength, T is technique, P is power.​

Now suppose a baseline clear requires power 1000. If your technique is really bad (say, 20), then you need lots of strength to compensate:

S * 20 = 1000

So S = 50

But if your technique is perfect (100), then you need much less strength:

S * 100 = 1000

So S = 10​

These equations are just for illustration, of course. I'm not claiming that this is exactly the relationship between strength and technique (how would you quantify technique?), but it gets the point across.

The weaker you are, the better your technique must be to generate power. But nobody (over the age of 10 or so) is too weak to clear baseline to baseline with perfect technique. If you arrive early, get behind the shuttle and use excellent technique, you should find it almost effortless to clear.

The advantage of extra strength is that it lets you perform baseline clears when you are late to the shuttle and hitting it from behind your body. It also lets you get away with dodgy technique. And, of course, it makes your smashes faster.

#10 Gollum, Feb 14, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    tell that to the girls teams:p...just kidding

Gollum is right :rolleyes: (again?), technique is the most important thing. Professional badminton players aren't built like heavyweight boxers.....

Try and watch some professional badminton if possible, and get a feel of what the correct technique looks like. Then if u do see people with the right technique, you could try and ask them to teach you a little.

Conclusion-you are not weak, your technique is just lacking a bit. There are loads of threads about correct technique.....especially in the techniques forum
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

good luck

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

And by the way - don't think that this means your technique is bad! It just could be better :)

And this applies to almost everyone. I know that my technique, even for a basic shot like a forehand clear, is far from perfect. It's like trying to reach badminton nirvana - you'll never quite get there, but you can always get a little bit closer :)

13. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I wouldn't fret about your clear. If you've been playing for five months and you can clear to the inside tram, that's good going. Perhaps you've improved so much in five months that you expect as much in the next five months, so you've begun to tense up at the conflated sensation of relative failure.

I may be reading too much into it, but if this is your predicament, just relax, and get to grips with your net game for a while. You'll find that if you do have the correct technique, perhaps a few days off will do you some good too. Let it flow.

Aleik.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good points Aleik.

I didn't notice that oab729 has only being playing 5 months. As Aleik says, you should be pleased with your progress already :)

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Make sure ask a reputable coach about your technique. I am not trying to put down ur friend or the ppl u talked to, however, most club lvl players (especially low lvl ones) might just give out the wrong information. And at the beginning stage, verify the progess using "fast", "long", "win a game" is not an accurate judgement, especially might mis-lead for future development.

16. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

I tried looking at pros but uhh... they don't exactly need proper form most of the time i see em just use their wrist for it. Btw should i use my wrist when i clear? i feel like i only follow thru with it

17. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i almost always use my wrist when i clear the times i dont i just forget to:rolleyes: but if i compare when i use my wrist to when i dont there is a noticable difference i mean withough wrist i cant clear that deep but with the wrist its always near the roof and goes to the back line most of the time so i woudl defintily say yes to using your wrist.

18. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

perhaps ur racket is very head-light. i dont know the racket (karakal...)...
    compare it to the racket of ur friend...

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I tried a few karakals before. They are definitely too light. You need to have a very wrong wrist to use them. If you use MP-99 and AT-700 should make a difference.

20. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Instead of focusing on rackets, I recommend you take a look at the IBF training video made available by bigredlemon (if I'm not mistaken). There's a clip explaining and showing body rotation and forearm pronation. Use the technique, it's free, and guaranteed to be rewarding.

Post #61 on

this thread.

-dave

#20 wood_22_chuck, Feb 15, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2005