World ranking

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bad Man, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

Why does the world ranking in Badminton change so easily ?
    e.g. men's single

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Coz there are many good players in the top for MS eg Gade, Hong, Xia, Hendrawan, Taufik, etc.......

3. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

The reason I asked this question because I wonder about the ranking system.

4. Budi

Budi Guest

not like the man doubles where the two top pairs will remain there for quite some time

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I see, its very difficult to understand.......

I'll tell you as much as i know. Take Indra Wijaya for example. Lets say hes put up against Peter Gade (1). Lets say he beats him, he will earn 50 points for defeating the world no.1. If he defeats Chen Hong (2) in the 2nd round, he will earn 45 points if i'm not wrong for defeating the world no.2. As the ranks go down, so do the no. of points decrease. I'm not sure how they decrease, obviously not by 5 each time.

How the .xx gets into the score is another mystery to me......

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Yeah but thats beside the point ;)

7. Lachimi

Lachimi Guest

The MS rank changes so often because no single player has dominated the scene recently so their ranking points are very close; hence everytime a top 10 gets to a semi or final or wins, he leapfrogs over the people above.
    You get a fixed number of ranking points for each round of a tournament and each tournament is graded by stars which suggests the amount of prize money and also the likely strength of the field. More stars, more prize money and higher raniing points. A semi in the AE will earn much more than a semi in the Taiwan Open and so on.
    For WC the points earned are halved after a year and for the Olympics, the points earned are cut by 1/4 each year.
    In addition to points earned for the round reached in a tournament, players get bonus points for beating higher ranked players and ousting top tennners attract much more bonus points with the highest for the toppling No.1 and so on down as Byro-Nenium suggests. This is the gist of the system and why there table is so unstable in the MS ranking. Lachimi.

8. Lachimi

Lachimi Guest

The MS rank changes so often because no single player has dominated the scene recently so their ranking points are very close; hence everytime a top 10 gets to a semi or final or wins, he leapfrogs over the people above.
    You get a fixed number of ranking points for each round of a tournament and each tournament is graded by stars which suggests the amount of prize money and also the likely strength of the field. More stars, more prize money and higher raniing points. A semi in the AE will earn much more than a semi in the Taiwan Open and so on.
    For WC the points earned are halved after a year and for the Olympics, the points earned are cut by 1/4 each year.
    In addition to points earned for the round reached in a tournament, players get bonus points for beating higher ranked players and ousting top tennners attract much more bonus points with the highest for the toppling No.1 and so on down as Byro-Nenium suggests. This is the gist of the system and why there table is so unstable in the MS ranking. Lachimi.

9. Pang

Pang Guest

U're juz off-the mark!!!

10. Pang

Pang Guest

Back to yr off-mark point, dun be overcomplacent that yr 2 stupid pairs will remain top forever.... Zhang-Zhang n Chew-Chan R slowly closing the gap.

Even the new Msian pair of Jeremy-Kean Kok R showing plenty of promises!!!

11. Jeronimo

Jeronimo Guest

Budi,
    Ever heard the song "What goes up must come down?" That also goes for badminton stars. Jeronimo