Irvine Badminton Club (IBC)

Discussion in 'USA West' started by JStandard, Feb 14, 2005.

1. JStandard

JStandard Regular Member

Greetings,

I am just recently getting back into Badminton after a long hiatus and will be attending new Thursday meeting of the Irvine Badminton Club (IBC) for my first time.

I am just wondering if anyone here is in the IBC and can give me a few etiquette tips on how the club works and anything I should be mindful of my first time there. For example, after how long/how many games does a team normally rotate out of the courts are full? How do you normally find a new game once you've left your current court?

Also, how does parking work? Since it is held at Irvine Valley College do I need to purchase a parking pass and where is the best place to park? (I've never been to IVC)

What is the normal routine for the club? Is there any structure to it, or is it essentially a "come and play" setting where you find a court, a partner, and some opponents and have a go at it?

Thanks for everything, sorry to badger with questions, I just want to make certain I don't make any showstopper faux-pas that end with me being beaten with rackets (ow) or forced to eat shuttles or whatever it is Badmintoners do to express displeasure.

Jeff

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... Is this the typical "wild wild west" style? :eek: :D

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

You can check the SCBA or USBA web sites (http://www.scbabadminton.org/ or http://www.usabadminton.org/). Irvine is on the list of member clubs or Places to play, along with contact info.

I've never been there, but from experience, most places have someone who is "in charge"--sets up nets, arranges matches, collects money, etc. and they usually recognize someone who is new. If you don't find out anything beforehand, when you get there, find this person and ask about the house rules.

New people come into places all the time, and everyone has their first time somewhere. At worst, you may find it requires a paid membership.

#3 Californian, Feb 15, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  4. JStandard

JStandard Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that. That makes sense that they have new walk-ins all the time, I'll try and arrive early. I'm not so much timid as I just hate to be the "new guy that messes up everything due to lack of knowledge". (I guess a habit I picked up in traveling, I like traveling but HATE being a tourist)

Whew, with that in mind I literally cannot wait! Finally my first Badminton in around 10 months!

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Let us know how it goes! :D

-dave

6. wchao

wchao Regular Member

Management Consultant
    Hi Jeff,

My wife and I play at IBC every Saturday. The IBC website is at http://members.cox.net/smashingsports/ibc/ibc.htm

The gym is located in Irvine Valley College.
    During the weekdays, you will have to use the metered parking near the tennis courts by the gym unless you have an IVC student/staff parking permit.

There is a very broad range of skills during the regular Saturday club.

I am planning on being there this Thursday also. Hope to see you there.

Woodrew

7. Jaguar

Jaguar Regular Member

Hi, what day and time do they play? I checked the website
    but they only list Saturdays, since you mentioned weekdays/ nights.
    Any information would help. Thanks

8. JStandard

JStandard Regular Member

New Session on Thursdays

Hello,

There are new sessions on Thursdays, starting at 6:30pm, ending at 9:30pm. These first two sessions they only had half the gym since there was a boys volleyball camp going on. I believe this next Thursday they will have the entire floor, yielding 8 courts.

I've been to the last 2 Thursday sessions and had a blast. If you come to the Thursday session and see me there, I'd love to get a game (I'm the skinny caucasian fellow in the white undershirt who is inevitably getting beaten), doubles or singles (I'm new to the sport, so I don't have a partner). Especially talk to me if you see me doing something wrong, which I inevitably will be, I'm always looking to improve, especially foot work and positioning.

The cost for these past 2 Thursdays was $3 (plus $2 parking IF THE MACHINE DOES NOT EAT YOUR MONEY like it did to poor Monica's dollar bill, it comtemplated eating mine too), though it is probably going to go up to $5 or something once we get the full gym starting next Thursday. I am uncertain of the actual amount, though still worth it over OCBC.

Hope that helps and hope to see you at the Thursday sessions, I'm Jeff.

JStandard

9. alexfan90

alexfan90 Regular Member

Hey JStandard, what part of fullerton do you live in? And do you play at La Mirada Gym?
    If not: you should try it. an anual membership is around $40. But so far, only saturday nights are reserved for badminton and there are only 3 courts.

10. JStandard

JStandard Regular Member

alexfan,

I'm always up for more Badminton, though unfortunately weekday nights are the best time for me (which is awful considering almost all clubs meet on Saturdays) and I don't know too many places other than the new IBC night and OCBC (takai!) which I don't have a partner, nor the level of play (yet) to attend.

I live right off of Yorba Linda and the 57 Freeway, close to CSUF. I've been considering taking lessons at CSUF through extension (just to get more court time), unfortunately my work schedule will not permit it (work down in Irvine). I hadn't heard about the La Mirada Gym, is it usually crowded on Saturdays with 3 courts? What time are the normal playing hours?

Thanks,

Jeff

11. Jaguar

Jaguar Regular Member

Hi, thanks for all the information. As far as " Especially talk to me if you see me doing something wrong, which I inevitably will be, I'm always looking to improve, especially foot work and positioning" I'm afraid I'm not qualify to
    do so...I believe there are coaches in that club, that's the safest bet.

Will go there in a couple of weeks and will look for you when I'm there...:)

12. alexfan90

alexfan90 Regular Member

lately it has been crowded because of the highschool badminton. i think i'll start going to IBC. how crowded is it over there?

I live by Gilbert and Malvern. Right on the Fullerton/Buena Park city limit.

#12 alexfan90, Mar 5, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  13. MacGyver

MacGyver Regular Member

Irvine Badminton Club schedule

Irvine Badminton Club opens on Thursdays (7:00 - 9:30 PM) until 8/18 and on Saturdays (6:00 - 9:30 PM). Here is the URL to their schedule:
    http://members.cox.net/smashingsports/ibc.htm

Walkin fee: Thursday is $8 (parking permit required in college) and Saturday is $10 (parking is free on weekend). Stay off "Staff" spaces.

Membership is 50% of the walkin fee, plus initialtion fee. The person in charge is Joseph Lin. Normally, he is at the table by the door. :)

14. SmashingSports

SmashingSports New Member

15. brianzhao1

brianzhao1 New Member

student
    did anyone know how to join the irvine badminton club?i don't have any partner.

16. SmashingSports

SmashingSports New Member