Strategy for short players against tall players?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MysticHLE, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MysticHLE

MysticHLE Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I'm wondering what's the generally most effective way to play against players taller than you? (singles) I'm short...5'3", level C. I don't have trouble against people near my own height. But tall players seem to get my clears easily. Whether it's offensive clears or defensive clears deep into the back court. If I play offensive clears, they just take like 2 steps back and hit another offensive clear against me. And if I go defensive clears, they just take advantage of how deep the shots are and play fast cross court drops or a defensive clear in their favor (which will seem like an offensive clear to me since they're taller, and has higher initial reach on the shuttle). It's really frustrating. =(

Advices please?

2. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    try aiming for their elbows or body, ppl with long arms have great difficulty returning shots like these.

3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    try to smash at their upper body, i myself have problems returning these shots as well.
    "overpower" them with drops. my coach used to play his students without smashing and he'd whoop us everytime. this was because his drops and netshots were freakishly advanced. cross-court netshots and very short netshots are keys to winning games against tall players(i'm 5'9, 14 years old i would know =P).

if you feel its necessary, do a cross-court drop shot from the back of the court when they clear at u. move back to base and if they lift, clear to their backhand. if they net-shot, lift/lob it to their backhand forcing a weak return to the net where u'll be waiting to kill it :)

4. MysticHLE

MysticHLE Regular Member

Student
    Oooh...thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time. Though, I'm also concerned about this other thing though. The guy I'm worried about also excels in doubles. And he has a faster smash than I do...and has very good defense against smashes. =\

5. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    get a more accurate smash. do drills while smashing along the SINGLES sidelines.

in doubles, push it....
    incase u dont know wut a push is: when they drop it to the net, instead of netshotting it or LIFTING(the WORST thing u could do in doubles to a tall player), you "lob" it low so it lands low between the front player and forcing the back player to lift. if ur opponent makes a mistake they wont go side allowing u or ur partner to smash at the sidelines which u should be able to do with the drills =P. keep attacking and when the rhythm is there, speed-drop it.

6. MysticHLE

MysticHLE Regular Member

Student
    uh...my 2nd post was only a reference to how good he is at smashing/defending them...I'm still interested in singles tactics.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This makes it sounds like you have to raise the quality of the shots you play during the rally.

Sounds like he's pretty good and experienced - it's probably Kwun :p

8. Pball

Pball Regular Member

hmm.. basically just sounds like you just need more practice on footwork getting back on the clears and getting forward with the drops.. the rest i.e. strategy depends on experience and asking (as you are doing here) and watching more advance players...

As for taller players, initially, just adopt the same initial probing.. how is his backhand, drop return, defence.. etc..

regards

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Turn them. Everytime they hit a straight shot, turn them, hit cross courts and vice versa.

10. Alias

Alias New Member

the dropshot-advice is a very good one... I'm a tall player and find good executed dropshots very hard to return. I'm afraid long legs aren't very 'dynamic' ;)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If he's overall skill lvl is way above urs, besides improve ur own skill lvl, there's nothing much u can think. That's not really because he's taller, but better.

Being fairly short, u should keep the shots flat, like drive. Taller players usually having trouble to defend body shot, and tend to lose balance easier when they need to bent down.

12. Yukaya

Yukaya New Member

hehe, yay, join the vertically-inclined ppl club!!! ^.^ im only 5', but i find the best way to defeat tall people (ie: everyone lol) is footwork... mite seem futile but if u can get to the bird faster, u can see mr.X and place the bird wherever hes not! if his smashes are really good, then try to beat his smashes by practising your own smashing technique - ie: smash to the tramlines at the sides of the court. if u get someone who smashes as fast or faster than he does, then drag the person to ur practise if they're not there and practise retrieving their smashes until you do it all the time...

13. MysticHLE

MysticHLE Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the advices. In terms of technical skill level, he currently has better excecution than me (I spent all this off-season time on footwork). But I'm pretty sure I have better footwork than him. It was just his smashes and his height advantage (ability to retrieve side smashes, offensive clears) that had me worried. I'll try to pull him from side to side and play more net.

Thanks

14. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    i still think shorter ppl have much better balance than taller ppl. short ppl can make much more accurate shots

stewartgoroa likes this.
  15. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Im short player myself too, I know how u feel mate! ;)

well, whenever theres a chance to forehand clear to their backhand (assuming both of yous are right handed), clear it fast and low *opponent head height*, dont think twice go up front *slightly towards your right hand side* and kill... that should give you a few points until the trick fails then you try varying your shots.

cross court net is a good idea and long arms suck when you give them net return in the middle, make sure they are tight~

play your drops tight too (ie: slicing = pretty risky if you are not experienced, but practise makes perfect! ;) )Since their long arms get to the shots earlier that can do anything if you give them a poor quality drops.

last thing, stand a step back and serve low at medium speed (ie shuttle goes to opponents chest but still remain below the white tape in height) and always drive = good fun against tall players!

hope that helps!

:p

stewartgoroa likes this.
  16. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Try shooting all the way to the back. He won't be able to shoot at an extreme angle all the way from the back. This can also tire him. You can then drop the ball when he's all the way at back. I think I've seen an article in the techniques section. Oh yeah, here it is http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/15/35/

Hope you find this useful!:)

17. baaam

baaam Regular Member

if his clears are relatively high and u have some good footwork.Then u can just take your time and run back to clear it back and run back wherever

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    My strategy against tall opponents is simple -- DON'T LIFT:D!

19. MysticHLE

MysticHLE Regular Member

Student
    That's a lot easier said than done for me...what am I to do if he starts playing a lot of net to try to force me to lift?

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Improve your net play so that you can contend with him. If your netplay confidence is non-existent, you'll continue to lift to him whether you want to or not:p. Whoever controls the net controls the game.

stewartgoroa likes this.