Defining "quality" in shot making

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Cheung, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How to define the quality of the shot?

There is quality of technique....but that does not necessarily mean the shot has a high quality...

If we can define quality, would that be then easier to teach?

2. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    Absolutely. In fact, the whole point in coaching a technique is to get a better outcome, and the participants must realise that. They will respond much quicker if they know why they are being taught.

A good point well made, Cheung.

Aleik.

3. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Couldn't quality be simply defined as the intended result of an execution ?

i.e. If from my b/h rear court I play a overhead X court slice which brushes the tape and falls in court, I would consider that a "quality" shot.

I suppose it depends on your perception of the word "quality". I suppose it could be changed to "good" but then one persons perception of a good shot could be different from anothers.

i.e. if when I serve, the shuttle is close to the net and lands 6/12 inches inside the line without being attacked, I would consider that a "good" serve, an international player may not. His expectations being higher.

If we can define quality, would that be then easier to teach? Using my perception, I'm sure that most coaches do teach to aim for the "good" or "perfect" execution/result of each shot, which isn't always achievable under every circumstance but should be aimed for.

Not sure if I've added anything to this thread but it's my 2 cents worth anyway.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

considering only the path of the shuttle, rather than how you get into position to be able to play the shot

accuracy

consistency

effectiveness
    (it's no good being able to accurately and consistently play a shot that is tactically poor) [there 's probably a better word for it than effectiveness]

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I would say for a quality shot accuracy, height above net when it crosses, and direction of shuttle when crossing the net are all important factors, but differ in importance dependent on shots.

Accuracy is always an important factor.

I dont think consistency is a mark of a quality shot, since one shot is individual to another. (although to be a quality player you must consistently have quality shots, but better not go there now!)

Also I think you should seperate effectiveness from a quality shot, since just because it is the wrong shot to make at the time doesn't mean the stroke it self wasn't quality, it just means it was the wrong shot to play.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Beauty in Motion

Compare the shotmaking of a professional against a similar stroke by an amateur and one can usually see the difference in quality.

The manner in which the professional strikes the shuttle and the way the bird responded in flight is a beauty to behold! Thus it is difficult to separate the quality of technique from the quality of the shot itself.

Like the seagull diving steeply into the water from mid air to catch its prey, a quality shot has those ingredients of suddenness, abruptness, speed, crispness, steadiness, etc, to produce that deadly effect for an intended course of action. Granted that the ultimate effect may be nullified by a wrong tactical decision and the effectiveness may be lost.

A quality shot is beauty in motion! Look at the birds in the sky and see how they propel themselves forward in flight. There is beauty!

A quality shot is liken to a bird moving naturally in the air doing different turns and movements depending on its intentions. There is sufficient height, angle, steepness, etc, that complement its speed and stability and intended purpose. :D

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I was also trying to ignore the stroke.
    A very tight drop shot can be the result of (1) good technique or (2) a mis-timed smash hitting the frame.
    (1) could be accurate, consistent, and maybe effective
    (2) could be accurate, lucky (inconsistent), and maybe effective

accuracy and consistency are results of good footwork, technique, fitness...

Effectiveness should be considered (Unless you are doing a drill for accuracy, or consistency). In a match, the shots you play are only a means to 2 ends.
    Tactically, the end is to win the rally.
    Strategically, the end is to win the match.

as Cheung said at the beginning
    "There is quality of technique....but that does not necessarily mean the shot has a high quality..."

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Qualities of the way a shot is performed- speed of movement and preparation, deception in the stroke / body movement, solid technique, concentration, vision of opponents court, fitness for particular shot (strength, speed, flexibility, endurance)

leads to

Qualities in the outcome of the shot: accuracy /power , consistency, effect on opponent preparation (move wrong way, prepare wrong defence), ability to perform shot under pressure

and of course tactical considerations for when you use the shot influence the result. Any aesthetic value the stroke may hold can be misleading, body types often influence the appearance of a stroke as much as good technique.

At a high level if every time player A plays a straight drop shot the opponent knows that the shot is coming, because there is not sufficient preparation to play any other stroke or a lack of deception then that drop shot will be taken very early and Player A will be under extreme pressure, it does not matter if the drop is accurate or consistent, it will be a weakness so could not be said to be a quality drop.

Similarly if a player has a massive smash but can only play about ten smashes before exhaustion you would not say they had a quality smash , in fact the opponent would encourage them to play the shot at the start of the match.

So I don't think you can just measure a single outcome as the quality of a player's stroke. This is why in training there is a constant circle of improvement, you may change the technique to improve the deception of the shot, having done this you may find the accuracy or consistency has fallen, when the accuracy and consistency comes back it may uncover a weak link in the fitness requirements etc. For this reason I beleive it is important for juniors to develop the most advanced shots they can, i.e. a full range of angles, technqiues and deceptions, played with the maximum speed and power even at the cost of accuracy and consistency, while this may not beat more basic consistent players in the early stages in the long run it is better.

For instance if a twelve year old starts to learn a jump smash they may find they lose points by playing it, however the ultimate quality of smash they may have as an adult is greater.

9. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i think the major quality of a shot is the consistency, must be able to make it everytime with the same accuracy