Tony Gunawan plus Candra Wijaya still not good eno

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by 2cents, Aug 26, 2001.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    there are so many people arguing that which one, Tony Gunawan or Candra Wijaya is the best men's double player, but they, together, still lost to Bambang Suprianto and Trikus Haryanto who are even not mens' double players at all.

If Xia and Lin paired together, they would probably win the title too. Therefore, there is only a best single player, there is no one best double player. Maybe we should refrase it as: who is the best player who wants to play men's double?

2. Budi

Budi Guest

Re: Tony Gunawan plus Candra Wijaya still not good

I have to disagree with you because Xia and Lin are single players, whereas Bambang and Trikus were Mix double players.

Bambang and Trikus are used to playing in the back court, because the female partner usually takes all the net shots. Taking care of the back court means that they have to be attacking. So when the two are combined, they become a very offensive pair.

If you combine Xia and Lin, then they won't make good pair because they have been specializing in singles.

3. Kim

Kim Guest

Bambaing used to be singles too mate. He switched into this new incarnation to get back into the Indo team, because he could'nt make it in the batang section - so it became Xd and now this strange scratch MD - its such a joke this ABC where many of the top players are missing. Look at the strange collection of players from China!!.KIM

4. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student

Chandra and Tony already bored to be the first :)

5. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student

I totally disagree with you, do you know that Bambang/Trikus is a very good men's double player as well?
    All the INA double players (male) can be pair with anyone in the INA team and they are still very very very good because they are train to play double with anyone. So never dream that any single player can play double as well as double players let alone play with top rank double players.
    I doubt that Xia/Lin can get above 5 points with any of the INA junior double players.

6. ray

ray Guest

a little bit correction, bambang was a single player and like you said he's not good enough, he moved to md and play with gunawan, they won several tournaments, after gunawan decided to retire, bambang chose to play mixed double

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

So, that's exactly what I want to convey

It is the same way in not only Indonesia, but also in China and Denmark too. No double player is born to play double, they play double just becuase they are not good enough in single. That's it.

After reliazing that the chance is slim for them in single, they choose double; when choose double, they also have to decide to concentrate on Men's double/Ladies' double, or Mixed double, therefore, the best in men's double is not even the best player who wants to play double.

All my opinion is not agaist Tony or Candra, not at all. They were great in men's double. But some people thought they are god, invincible, the best badminton player, ..., that goes too far

8. Budi

Budi Guest

yep, but the best man single player does not neccessarily can be a good double player. Most of the times they can never be as good as if they play single. Because double play needs coordination and adjusting to your partner playing style.

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Budi,

As u rightly point out the best singles player need not be a good doubles player!

But we should understand that the doubles players were all who dropped out on thier aspirations to become great singles players.

It is just that they tuned their game to play doubles and they have excelled in it.

So i guess playing doubles is no grea shakes(just liek in tennis)

Woodbridge and Woodforde were big disappointments in SIngles but they just fine tuned their game to play doubles.

If u see all the great singles players would haev played doubles and won tournaments very easily!(In tennis)(john,steffi , martina nav an s many others)

So if u can stretch the idea badminton i thnk what 2cents is saying makes sense!

I subscribe to teh views of 2 cents!

10. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Candra and Tony are not Gods, neither are they invincible. But they are v v good at their game and this is sth we have to admit. So are doubles greats like Park Joo Bong, Ge Fei and Gu Jun. They can be considered "invincible" in their field.
    There are also ledgendary singles like Zhao Jianhua, Yang Yang, Rudy Hartono etc who can be considered "invincible" at what they do.

At the expense of being skewered and roasted, I personally find it too arbitrary to say that one category of people are definitely more talented than another category.

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

I disagree. Lin and Xia are singles players....... Anyone who can beat Candra/Tony are obviously someone to look out for...... Did you ever consider that Bambang/Trikus are also a pair to beat?

12. BYs

BYs Guest

I think we all missed out on one point

Both Tony and Candra are v.v.v. good players...that we admit. But they are still humans.

They have been playing for 3 consecutive weeks: GP to Singapore open to ABC. Brunei to singapore to philippines. Both of them, though in different pairings, played from the quarters all the way to finals.

Moreover, Tony was in the XD semis against the Kim/Ra...

Remember how Kim DM was so caught up with fatigue during WC, losing 15-0 in the first?

It's similar to how Taufik lost to lin dan. Never saw lim played before but with taufik's calibre, couldn't have been 15-2, 15-3. Fatigue is the key.

13. BYs

BYs Guest

could Tony/Halim have won if sigit does not have an arm injury?

14. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

50/50

15. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

After all they are still human. Even Ge/Gu did lost a few times to their second rank teammates. Nobody is 101% "invincible".

My idol mens' double is still Tony/Candra.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Bambang's conversion

It has been mentioned a couple of times on TV that Bambang sliced off the top of his thumb in an accident and decided to play doubles after that. I think he has also won a grand prix tournament at singles. so he must have been a pretty good singles player before.

17. Budi

Budi Guest

Re: Bambang's conversion

Regardless of what 2cents said, Tony/Chandra is still the best MD Player in the world. There is no doubt about that.

If Xia/Lin think that they are better pair, they'll have to prove it first..

18. Budi

Budi Guest

But we need to watch out for Bambang/Trikus pair, because they almost beat Tony/Halim before also (if not for injury), meaning that they are indeed playing better than Tony/Chandra.. And not because of Tony/Chandra' fatigue

19. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student

I doubt they can get a single point let alone beating the INDO pair

20. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

wow, doubles are reserved for diababled people.