Double hit/drag shot/shuttle sliding along racquet

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Dave18, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I think that's the term. Lately, I have notice that I am kinda scrapping the birdie with my racket when i hit. What am I doing wrong here? It's illegal in a game right?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    If it bounces or contacts the racquet TWICE, then it's double hitting.
    Else, a sliced shot would be illegal if what you did was wrong.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    "Double hitting" is not a fault if it happens during one continuous stroke movement.

4. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    Drag shot legal?

Ive been wondering if its legal to hit the shuttle accidently by dragging the racket. As in someone smashes the shuttle at u, u swing your racket as if your pushing the shuttle (kinda sticks to your racket for a split second) and it goes flying into the corner. Can anyone find any offcial rules on this?

If you dont get what i mean, its like pushing the cue ball in snooker instead of hitting it.

Cheers :)

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    :)I think the term you are describing is called a carry.It is a fault as it falls under the category of a double hit as it is the catching of the shuttle where the cork and then the feathers or the tail of the shuttle are contacted and then thrown off the stringbed.In most cases because the action is not deliberate most people in friendly games just let it go as part of the game.When there is a referee present in a tournament setting though it is deemed a fault.Sometimes ugly smash returns are also just carries and can be argued over as well.My way of dealing with this problem is if you agree to disagree then replay the rally. :)

6. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    i always thought it was fine as long as its in one motion

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    That's correct.

8. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    but what if they lob u, then u use one long motion to scoop it straight down? :confused:

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A double hit is legal; a "scoop" or "carry" is not.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Law 13.6.1
    It is a fault if, in play, the shuttle is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;

11. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    IMHO...
    i agree with neil_nicholls (Law 13.6.1) but Mag's comment is also correct...Mag's comment applies to an accidental double hit in one motion (usually happens when the cork hits the frame and the racket string hits it again after the follow thru)...this is almost invisible to the naked eye unless a super slow motion is done on video :)....while Law 13.6.1 applies to a literally caught shuttle in the string (usually a feather caught in the string...that's why they used the "slung" term after the swing motion)...the latter, which applies to Law 13.6.1, very seldom happens...

12. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    Am sorry, it's not just Mag who made the comment about double hit...jamesshie88 and Gollum did also...
    If it's accidental, i think it's legal...if it's an intentional scooping or carrying, it think it's a fault...

13. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    cheers guys, im just finding difficult to define it in words. Just that the rules are not totally clear. Like it can only contact the shuttle for 0.05 seconds lol

14. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    isn't slicing the shuttle like dragging it but at an angle?

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The rules are an attempt to define discrete categories of action, based on a continuous range of possible actions. This can never succeed completely.

In other words, no definition is going to be perfectly precise. There are always grey areas; all we can ask from a definition is that it banishes indeterminacy to a sufficient degree.

In practice, a blatant "catch, carry and sling" shot is illegal, but any other kind of double hit is not. It's not a problem unless unfair advantage can be gained by the player.

16. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Wow. So you're allowed to hit the bird twice in one single stroke? I always thought that this was a fault and awarded my apponent a point or the serve...

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Indeed you are allowed :)

This happens quite frequently, though players may not always realise it. Many sliced shots (including serves) contact the shuttle twice (often the base is hit first, and then the feathers).

18. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    So its ok if we dont realise it, not trying to play vollyball here right? ;)

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes exactly :) No spikes allowed!

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is impossible to define the length of time the shuttle is in contact with the racket. What might be easier to understand is that the shuttle may only be in contact with the racket moving in one direction.

Eg. catching the shuttle on your racket would be one direction, then "slinging " the shuttle back would be contact in more than one direction.

It is very common for the shuttle to be hit more than twice in a rally. As Gollum et al have said, drops are one example. others include pushes, some serves and some net shots. Accidental examples are usually in defence, wherby the player mistimes the stroke, uses his wrist too early and the shuttle is carry on the racket during his follow through.

Whilst the rule may be ambiguous to read, once shown it in person it is obvious when a fault has been commited.