BG85 or not?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by other, Feb 19, 2005.

1. other

other Regular Member

Student
    before I never used to snap any strings...The first string I snapped was BG85 @ 20lbs 1year+ ago, i forgot how or where. Then came the factory strings on my Winex (Winex Ti-80 strings @20-22lbs) last christmas. I then snapped some BG65 @ approx 22lbs, although they were very worn already, and then lastly I've snapped some (restrung on winex) BG85 @ 21.5lbs...after about 5 hours use.

so...am i getting stronger? If so, to keep costs down and restring stress of the raquets down, is it a good idea to phase off the BG85 and go back to BG65?

I play with plastic shuttles, and I don't really think I'm a very hard hitter although end to end clears are fine. Cost of stringing is £10, $18US....plus string.

I've got BG85, 80, 65, Winex Ti-80, Apacs .68....so..which strings do u think I should use next? The Winex Ti-80 were the factory strings, and lasted me about 8 months @ 22lbs, and felt pretty good all the way. However the BG85 felt better, but didn't quite last as long:(....has anyone tried the apacs .68? It came as a free gift, and i have no idea about it...

I tried bg65 before, but it felt pretty horrible. That could have been because it was a) too low a tension b) problem with me not developing enough power from poorer technique.

What say you from your experiences?

thanks,

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

perhaps giving bg80 or bg68ti a try...

the people i know who have been breaking bg66 or bg85 quickly seemed to have migrated to the 0.68mm strings, and durability is apparently better.

3. okoman

okoman Regular Member

Bg85

It all depends if you are hitting centre racquet most of the time. If you are striking the shuttle fairly solidly, and you are not a MONSTER smasher then BG 85 usually lasts most people about 1 to 2 months of use, before breaking. BG80 is a little more durable, but maybe will last 2 to 3 months. Remember that string has lost 95to 97% of its resiliency by the time it is 3 months old anyways, so your racquet is in need of stringing at this point anyway, no matter what string you are playing with.

4. sengkang

sengkang New Member

Try the thicker string for plastic shuttle. Should last longer but not the tension.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I string BG66 at 23/25lbs for a fellow's Fleet racquet (infamous brand for cracking during stringing at over 22lbs) which he uses on plastic shuttles 5 times a week and feathers once a week, and it has always lasted 2 months to 2 1/2 months. I am sure BG85, being a thicker string, should last as long. Maybe you should watch how your stringer strings your racquet. Things to watch out for are the way he weaves and pulls the cross string before tensioning and the frequency and skill in his use of the awl.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    Can't do this since the stringer lives a way off, and he picks up the racquets from sports centres.

Well the last one was due to a horrible mishit....but i was suprised at how quickly it died anyways. I guess this is what happens if u mishit:eek:....I think i shall restring with bg85, but use it less often, and only for important games where i need the extra bit of feel and repulsion, and restring other racquets using thicker string, so that i can play with them normally without too many mishit/wearing out breakages:cool:

7. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Im a very big fan of BG85.

I dont play with nylon shuttles and neither am I a strong smasher so I guess the string agrees with me.

I also endorse BG80 if you want BG85 performance with a little more durability. I suppose BG88Ti would work as well but I dont think its widely available.

8. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    agreed...if you find 88Ti, you'll love it...best string in the world!

9. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

BG-88Ti

Is BG-88Ti available in Canada? It does not seem to be available on the westcoast that I'm aware of. :( Can someone in the know please advise.:)

10. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    BG-70PRO is IMO the best strings for plastic birds. Holds tension very well and is extremely durable.

11. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

I agree, im using BG88TI on my AT800OF. The problm is the string is rare and its around 3.5X more expensive than average yonex strings.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    To many players, a "good string" suppose to be the one with the best quality vs price ratio. Sadly, 88ti is way too expensive in north america region, therefore, I will take it off my "good list". :p