MS Changing of the Guards

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Crystal Ball Gazer, Aug 27, 2001.

1. The men's singles scene has changed in the last 2 months with the rapid emergence of so many young Chinese players of between 17 and 22 y.o (ChenH, JiXP, XiaXZ, BaoCL, LinD, WuYY, ChenY, XiaoL).
    Hendrawan, Mainaky, Ong EH are all 30 and probably have won their last tournaments. Gade is in a ditch and cant get out while getting old, and Taufik wastes his time fighting the Indo BA insead of winning tournaments. His big match temperament is also hopeles: 2xAE finals, and no where in the WC or Olympics. At this rate he will remain a great hope who'll never live up to expectations.
    Lee IL Hyun and Lee Tsuen Seng are the only other younger ones fighting the Chinese juggernaut.
    Its frightening isn't it?
    Its like the women's game where all the top 7 sinlges slots are Chinese and they also dominate the WD and have several strong XD teams all no more than 23 years old!!!
    Have you guys thought about how boring the world will become if this comes to pass? Crystal Ball Gazer

2. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Hmm... I think you sorta left out pple like Rony Agustinus(ina), Boonsak Polsana(tha), Hafiz Hashim (mas) etc. If you insist, they may be inconsistent, but so are the Chinese.

By the way, in the last 2 months, the MS finals of the 3 GP events i.e. Mas Open, Ina Open and Sin Open were all between Mas and Ina players.

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    How old is Rony Agustinus? I remember that he participated the same junor tournaments as Chinese Chen Gang, and Chen Gang retired last year.

Malaysia has more besides Lee and Hafiz, name a few, Yeoh Kay Bin, Ayob, James Chua... While Indon has Taufik Hidayat, Sony Kuncoro...

By the way, where to find the age of those players on the net?

4. It's inevitable

Just think of how many people in China play badminton. They probably have more players there than the rest of the world several times over. It stands to reason that their best players are going to be the best in the world, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them cover all top 10 positions at some point of time.

5. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Rony is 23 or 22 this year, not more than that

6. ISO

ISO Guest

Hello Lachimi!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: It's inevitable

For a period in the early/mid nineties, the Indonesians were winning almost everything except ladies doubles. China had their turn before that. Every player and every country have their turn. Perhaps Denmark have come to the end of their "Golden era". What a pity they couldn't get to the final of the 2000 Thomas cup. That must have been one of their strongest line-ups ever.

8. Agus

Agus Guest

Regardless of what Crystal said, the upcoming Thomas Cup will still be won by Indonesian !! And that will be the fifth or sixth consecutive wins!
    As Thomas Cup is the ultimate team tournament in badminton, this implies that Indonesia is strongest in Man division.

Woman matches are boring ... so it does not count. So Indonesia is the best country when it comes to badminton !! got it?

9. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

All this tournament are using the 7X5 format and the

Chinese seem to be struggling to adapt. Even GongRN,

GongZC, ChenH, Zhang/Gao (to name a few) seems not very

comfortable with it. Droping games and losing bla bla

bla...

10. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

Try this site http://tangkis.tripod.com

11. KIM

KIM Guest

Many of the players mentioned in the discussion were either in the 1997, 1999 or 2000 WJC. Certainly Yeoh Kay Bin, Agustinus (he cannot be more than 22-23), George Rimarcdi (INA but now plays for Sweden), XiaXZ, ChenY, Cai Yun, XiaoH, Tan Ruiwu, WuYY. The remarkable thing is that every one lost in the semis or finals; more remarkable is that while the Chinese players are making their mark and climbing the ladder, the others are not making much headway - Yeoh, Augustinus and Rimarcdi were all semiF or F in the WJC, but they are having a tough time in the senior ranks 2-4 years later.Koncorro lost in Dec 2000 WJC finals to Bao Chunlai, but lost in Rd 1 in his outing in S'pore - not so the Chinese from that WJC in all divisions (MS,MD,WS,WD,XD) - they debuted in Singapore quite well and did very well indeed in the ABC, one using the 5x7 and the other the 15x3 system.
    Of the Malaysian players, Lee TS is the most consistent and of the Koreans LeeIH and ShonMS feature. The others regrettably.... KIM

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Just to add, I think Bao Chun Lai competed in the Korean Open and lost to Budi Santoso in the 1st round. I think he also played in the qualifiers of the All England but didn;t get through. Didn't hear about Lin Dan in those two tournament though.

13. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    My 2 Sing dollars worth

If my memory doesn't fail to serve me, Xiao Hui is abt 25-6 years of age. He was from Dong Jiong and Sun Jun's batch but has stayed on instead of retiring. Ji Xinpeng hasn't been doing too well after the Olympics and I haven't heard of Chen Yu or Wu Yunyong making it THAT far to date, with the exception of Chen defeating Hendrawan at the Asia Cup semis.

In a word of fairness, Taufik did make it to the semis of the WC but had to withdraw because of an injury. My stupid and naive brain insists on believing that the match was not thrown by him on purpose. In terms of age, he's only 20 and still has some way to go.

The Malaysians haven't been doing too badly either with the comeback of Wong Choong Hann - he lost to bad umpiring during the WGPF agst Gade and performed very creditably at the Singapore Open finals, at least to my untrained and uneducated eyes. And Hafiz Hashim isn't all too bad a player either - saw him in semis agst Taufik.

I remember Ardy Wiranata saying in a worldbadminton.net feature that moving from the junior to senior level was very traumatizing for him because he kept being kicked out in the early rounds while other ppl his age were already progressing to the semis and finals. But he did make it eventually, didn't he?

It may be a bit too early to tell then.

14. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Correction

My apologies: Wu Yunyong was a quarter-finalist at the ABC, losing to Shon of Korea in 3 sets.

And it's Mohammed Hafiz Hashim, Roslin Hashim's younger brother, who neither looks nor plays like him.

15. Innocentia

Innocentia Guest

Re: My 2 Sing dollars worth

Maybe we will see more action from the Chinese juniors in the China Open which should bring them up the rankings. Pity the other countries are not plaing their juniors in the senior ranks just now. Innocentia