badminton exercises

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Julie Pryor, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Julie Pryor

Julie Pryor Guest

I am teaching a beginning badminton class and am having a hard time finding some interesting drills and exercises for my students. Can you please give me some suggestions?

2. jayes

jayes Guest

Hello Julie,

Hmm, I was hoping that someone that had went through the excercises or provide instruction on such excercises to beginning classes can offer hints. Seeing none comes forward, I will attempt to provide a few suggestions. Mind you that I've never went through such class when I first played badminton. At first I just played, got better, and tried to beat the best player of the region. A coach then brought me under his wings and went through a gruelling training - physically and psychologically. Of which I won't recommend to beginning classes. ;)

I'm not sure what kind of beginning class you are teaching. Is this like a Phys Ed, camp for future champion, etc.? Also what age group; mostly boys, girls?

However, here are the few suggestions as promised (as a start):
    1) Practice with hitting the shuttles to the wall.
    2) Do shadow excercises.
    3) Lots and lots of practice on the strokes, especially one that is an obvious weakness. For example, backhands, smashes, and etc.
    4) Work on the students' stamina and proper breathing
    5) Work on footwork
    6) Practice on relaxing and having fun :)

Here are some websites that you might want to browse to give you more ideas:
    <A href="http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm">http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm</A>, <A href="http://www.sportsid.com">http://www.sportsid.com</A>

I'm sure others can offer other better suggestions.

Good luck. :)

3. nick

nick Guest

Julie - currently we teach badminton at 15 different distinct skill levels. This includes three levels of beginner instruction: 1. new or non player, 2. average beginner, 3. advance beginner.

These levels are also taylored to meet the needs of specific age levels: (1.)
    children 5 to 9, (2.) children 9 to 12 (3. teens and,( 4.) Adults.

The instruction is also taylored to fit the: (1) number of courts available, (2) equipment available, (3) the number of students (4) number of coach's aids available.

Our goal is simple at the beginner level. It is to make babminton as fun as possible.

let me give you some examples for the new or non player.

(1.) The first thing we teach is the pan handle grip. This grip is the one where the racket face is square to the net, and the first (fore) finger sticks up flat against the back side of the grip. This grip is a must for small children as they are absolutely incapeable of rotateing their forearm to bring the racket face square to the net. (If this is the best grip for small children, why not the best for new adult players?) This grip gives the brand new player the best chance of hitting the bird.

The pan handle grip is a week grip,for "D" players and above. But, for now we want to teach the new player a grip that gives them the best chance of hitting the bird.

Drills; They must be fun and improve a player's ability

first drill: the coach stands at mid court. The student stands across the net at mid court. the coach serves a little clear to the student. the coach's goal is to hit a shot that is the easiest for the student to return over the net. each time the student returns the bird over the net the coach counts it, out loud. The student is soon caught up in trying to beat his last record number of returns. place several students across the net. hit to one until he misses. soon each student is caught up in trying to beat the last students record number of returns.

we litterally have 100's of drills like this: each one a little more difficult than the last.

please let me know a little more about your students ability level, facilities available, equipment available, coach's aids available, number of students, and length of classes each week, and I will send you more drills to fit your specific needs.

you may contact me at; sportspsy1@aol.com

good luck and happy badminton,

Nick Julie Pryor wrote:
    >
    > I am teaching a beginning badminton class and am having
    > a hard time finding some interesting drills and exercises for
    > my students. Can you please give me some suggestions?