Suggestion required on intermediate height rally

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kaustubh, Feb 20, 2005.

1. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

Hi there,

I am a beginer , i have read some article on this forum regardign grip, footwork and smash shots so also seves. I am trying to improve my game,
    i have to accept that eversince i have changed my grip my smash really goes very effective.

Now there is a small problem i am facing , when the shuttle is dropping i play a clear shot, when it is traveling at a suitable height i play a smash shot. But when the shuttle is at intermediate height where i am not in a position to hit a smash or play a clear shot, what is the way i should play.

I have tried to adjust to the height ( by slightly ducking and hitting the smash or clear shot) but it is not that effecitve , most of the time i hit the shuttle in the net.

i am mediaum built , 5.8 feets tall .

Regards

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well personally i would just drive it right back at them or better yet do a deceptive drop shot right over the net im just an inch taller than you and well when you say at intermediate height im guessing its just over your head +or- a few inches or under your head +or- a few inches, well you can also do a clear if you want just creat the right motion and it will work i dont have any problems doing that or doing a light smash on it well it wouldent really be called a smash but just using your wrist to hit the shuttle down at a reasonable angle well just try different things i mean thats just what i would do everybody could do something completly different.

#2 smash_master, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's one hell of a long sentence. Organise your thoughts into separate sentences, and your sentences into separate clauses. If you do this, they will be easier to read.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Where are you on the court when you have this problem?
    Forecourt?
    Midcourt?
    Rearcourt?

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i have this problem in all areas, esp at singles:crying:

6. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    When in doubt, drop.^^ I've also experienced these problems but i figured that the drop shot aways works well especially near the net.

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    oh haha i just relized that i dident put periods in there hum thats what happens when you dot pay attention to how your writting eh so sue me. i just write what comes to mind and organize it only if its importane ex. an essay. i mean in english class we dont even have to do formal writting just 1 or 2 essays so all we do are discussions so i get use to just writting my thoughs down like that.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No problem; I'm just a bit of a pedant about these things, because writing is my "profession" :)

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If you can't even be bothered to write so that others can understand, why should anybody bother to read it?

Don't waste other people's time, please.

Mag,
    BF moderator

10. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

Midcourt most of the times

When i am near net i use drop shot or placing it near the net.

Regards

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Is it only a problem when the shuttle is coming straight at you or close to your body?

12. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

Close to my body or silghtly above my head , i mean the height is such that if you hit a smash,it will definately go down in net , and if you try to play a clear shot there is not much room.

13. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

Well, in my opinion this is the perfect situation for a drive shot.

14. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

Can you give me any reference about how to play a drive shot, i mean any article , animation please.

Regards

15. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:SXCa8fPpabMJ:www.ehow.com/how_15841_hit-drive-shot.html+drive+shot+badminton&hl=de
    The only thing which is wrong is the position of the legs.
    In your situation (The ball is in front of you) your legs can just be parallel to each other. You dont need to set one leg in front of the other. BUT if your drive was good and forced a weak reply aou can step forward after your shot to (perhaps) hit a winner with the next stroke.

This thread is about the same topic..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20974&highlight=drive

If you can manage to see a video of the pro taufik hidayat you ll see that he uses drives sometimes.
    By the way, do you know the forum search function? If you are on BC just click on forum. Then you can choose "search"...

I have also problems with such strokes in singles. I am just not confident enough to hit drives. In situations like yours i often youst slightly push the ball as a net drop or i clear it again, even though i know a drive would be better.

#15 TrueBlue, Feb 23, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  16. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

Thanks for your help ,

I will certainly try these things

Regards

17. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Simmer Down...

Well, when you say that its at intermediate height, i'm probably guessing its around the height of your head or face. A drive is probably advisable, but it also depends on where u are on the court. If you are near the front, just add a snap of a wrist and do a fast drop shot. Those are very offensive and cuts off the rally. If you are at the back or midcourt, then just do a drive, unless they are by the net.