Faster or Slower against old veterans?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by unregistered, Feb 21, 2005.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

question is.. when i play against the old people at my club, should i actually be playing faster so they cant reach the shuttle in time or play it slower but more accurately.. veterans have vaste knowledge of the game and even if i play a fast game they just seem to keep up with the pace.

2. TaRaKaN

TaRaKaN Regular Member

you arem't playing fast enough.. hahaha...

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Try both and see which works best.
    Not all people are the same, so don't expect the same thing to work against everyone.

My experience of veterans is that they better at the net than I am, and they make less unforced errors. So I try to push them back with deep clears and be patient. If I try to attack too soon it often fails.

4. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

If you're playing doubles then I suggest you don't just hammer the shuttle at the old guys, they're generally used to it and just use the pace of the shuttle to move it around. Better off playing fast drops and mixing in clears, keep them guessing where the shuttle's going.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    that's a true statement - or at least be patient and try to wear us down.

taking a better look - you need to make no assumptions about an older player - an older player is really like any other opponent you meet. simply putting an older player into one category will be just as bad in strategy as if lumping all younger players into one category.

the main mindset with playing an older player is that what they have in experience - you (generally) have in extra stamina/endurance from being younger. so playing a long match - you can wear down the older player.

on the other side, some older players that are power/speed players may try to pick up the speed on you and finish off the match betore allowing it to extend into 3 games.

at the same time, vary your game. not only will it keep opponents off balance... for us old timers - it makes it a bit more fun than just one monotone speed. :D:D:D

6. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    my experience

my own experience is that playing a fast-paced game will generally be more effective. Usually, the game will involve lots of drives.

This is because veterans like a slow-paced game given their lack of speed and stamina but are technically superior.

However, my definition of a fast-paced game when playing against veteran is not those games that involve loads of smashes cause veterans are generally very very very good in defence.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree that veterans are good in defence and technically sound. However , one thing that i observe is that most veterans that i know dont really like to play drives and clears. They dont mind getting smashed at as they are also very good in retrieving smashes. Play more wristwork badminton and also kill them in terms of stamina. Make them run and guess.