How you feels Sotx racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BigHam, Feb 22, 2005.

1. BigHam

BigHam Regular Member

Sotx is not popular as Yonex in my place (Hong Kong). Can you tell me your feels & experience on your Sotx racquets? Please also provide molder no.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I've tried STB 8080+, Woven 4A, Woven 6. The paint job might not be the greatest in the world, but the performance definitely worth every penny I spent! Highly recommend! ;)

3. cybertrio

cybertrio Regular Member

Undergrad student
    Been using SOTX Woven 7 for slightly more than a year now. Pretty happy with the racket performance. Prior to using SOTX i do own a few Yonex Carbonex racket and Proace racket. Personal point of view is regardless of what brand of racket you choose to use. I think like alot of people will say, its ultimately your own personal preference and the "feel" while using the racket. :)

4. BigHam

BigHam Regular Member

There are 3 models you had mentioned. For which 1 you feels great performance or 3 of them? Which one is the best & how much it cost?

5. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    i own a woven 13...very solid racket...smashes are good so are control...definitely worth the money
    ;)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    8080+: Great all around racket, solid shots, especially good in defense. To me, it's like a "poor man's cab20ms" but less stiff.

Woven 4A: Some others claimed it has similar characteristics as MP77, which is slightly head heavy. However, it appears to be a bit too heavy for me, did not use very long.

Woven 6: Very light, but a lil bit too flex. Great for net strokes, but requires a bit extra effort if u go for baseline to baseline clears.

You can check "Winex West Can" homepage for the price. ;)

7. BigHam

BigHam Regular Member

Please tell us more on your woven 13. Believed many people here would like to share your experience.

8. youngwind

youngwind Regular Member

student
    used WOVEN-4,my feeling is stiff and heavy , I took a long time to get used of it. the painting is good ,although I don't realy like STOX.

9. He Minwei

He Minwei Regular Member

Student
    Winner Kinsmen STB-8080+ rocks,SOTX racquets are cool and powerful.Try SOTX WOVEN-12 (limited edition),design and power rocks:cool: if you have the money to afford it. :D

10. BigHam

BigHam Regular Member

Do you know how much the Sotx Woven-12 cost? How it looks?

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    For one he almost sold his woven 13 less than 4 months after buying it ;)

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Sotx

I also like Woven 13 (the one Kai use) it's Very Stiff and rather head heavy, so you have to be powerful to make full use of it. More of a singles racket than doubles racket (I would compare it to Yonex AT700, but stiffer!!).

My favourite (for allround doubles and/or singles) is the SOTX ti-9 (new 2005 model), it has a ti-insert just below the t-joint for a kickpoint (Gosen had this type of idea on its rackets as well).
    It's really well-balanced and good imop..

Cheers,
    Twobeer

13. Alexch

Alexch Regular Member

hi, Kai91. after reading your statement, i am tempted to have one woven too. May i know where to get it. Please let me know the price too. Thanks.

Regards

14. kaworu1427

kaworu1427 New Member

I've read people here reviewed SOTX WOVEN-2 , 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 16, but there never really people reviewing WONEN-3. The best I can find from this forum is 1 review from the equipment reviews section.

How's SOTX WOVEN-3? www.ibuysports.com rate this racket as having:
    smash power 8.5 / 10
    defense 9 / 10
    power 9 / 10
    Are they comments accurate?

15. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    i also have the 8080+, but i haven't adjusted to it yet. so far, it feels solid, but a tad weak. Maybe it's just a bit too light for me, but it's still a good racket. I'm still adjusting to it :)

Also had the Woven 5A about a year ago. No bad. It's not powerful, but it's light and maneuverable.

16. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Well... My SOTX woven 13 eh?

Power

Can be very powerful, provided that you can control it's ultra stiff shaft. I have tried bending it and other Yonex high ends ATs and Mps which are all stated extra stiff. For me, a little greedier, i add a total of 1.5g of lead tape at somewhere at 10 and 2 o'clock position making it super head heavy, easier for smashing. Due to extra stiff shaft, clears might need some tuning

Control

Well... Although it is head heavy, it ain't hard to control. Receiving smashes are ok. But speed through the air is not remarkable so you need more effort return consecutive smashes.

Durability

No major clashes... only some chips off but it is still holding well. No sign of warping, guarantees up to 31lbs :eek:, which is remarkable and hardly anybody strings up that high.

Cosmetic

Ain't really impressive, as compared to higher ends Yonex. Such as AT700 and Ti-10. But the part where it is transparent coated, you can see the woven structure and looks kinda 3D:cool:

Power: 9.5/10
    Control: 8.5/10
    Durability: 10/10
    Cosmetic: 9/10

Thats all I have got ATM. Feel free to PM me if you have any question:)

17. DSAS6

DSAS6 Regular Member

Student
    i just got my Woven 8A for about a week now. I put black strings on it and it look ... simply ... STUNNING :eek:! so sexy ... you have no idea how much it shines ! anyways ... i love the racket ... it play just like an mp99 but twice as cheap !

long story short ... im changing brand ... no more yonex for me. My friend and I decided we will go SOTX only ... except the the birds, strings, grip ... you get the idea lol. Im planning to buy a SOTX bag and the Woven 9A also ... they're on their way

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    8080+ is a light racket, and tend to be flexible for a lot of ppl's standard, if they like heavy, stiff 2u rackets. If that's the case for u, u might need some time to adjust it. To me, with the right string combo, this racket is deadly dangerous at the net, as it's lightening fast, but might lack of performance if u stay in the back most of the time. ;)

19. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Man, I should've seen this thread sooner!

There is indeed a lack of reviews on BF about sotx rackets, I should put up my personal opinions of them...

Myself, I own, from SOTX:
    Power Boss Woven 2
    Power Boss Woven 3
    Power Boss Woven 4
    Power Boss Woven 6
    Power Boss Woven 8
    Power Boss Woven 10
    Power Boss Woven 11
    Power Boss Woven 12 Special Edition
    Winner Kinsman STB-8080+

I can't wait to get my hands on the Woven 9 and STB-9080.

Lol, I don't have the time to write up a review for each and every one of them. But in general, having in the past played primarily with BlackKnight and then being a devout Yonex fan, I converted to SOTX for several reasons. Most of all, value: every SOTX racket i've bought has outperformed rackets in their same price range from Yonex and BlackKnight. Perhaps Yonex's top models are pretty good, but I haven't even tried the top model SOTXes yet and still, I find that I don't miss my MP77 or my CAB30ms one bit. And CAB30ms, even though I am no longer a yonex user, I must say that this is one of the best rackets ever made, so I am not a SOTX user without good precedent!

I will admit though, everything from the Woven 8 and down doesn't have the most spectacular paint job... their color coordination seems a bit cheezy. But from the Woven 9 and up, they do a really professional job. In any case though, don't get too focused on the looks, because their rackets really are stable. The best thing about SOTX is that they have a billion models with slight differences, and why that's good for me is that it follows my philosophy that the best racket isn't the most expensive one, but the one that suits you and your style of play. So if you ever wonder why SOTX has literally a hundred different models, it's because most models are viariatons in materials, balance point, length, and over all weight, meant to let a player get something that really suits them. Many other companies have so much marketing in place that people purchase rackets and modify their own styles to keep up with the racket, but shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't our racket be adapted to the player, and not the other way around? The racket is, afterall, an extension of the player, and not the other way around.

As far as the rackets that have already been mentioned, I actually purchased the STB-8080+ on Lazy Buddy's suggestion, and I concur with his review-- ultralight, and absolutely deadly at the net. That was one of the first SOTX rackets I tried, and I wasn't in the slightest bit dissapointed... indeed, it has a bit of trouble as a singles racket, because it requires that you generate a lot of the power yourself, but the maneuverability and responsiveness of this racket is superb.

It's a lot like the Woven 6 actually, though I'd take the 8080+ over the 6.

My personal favorites from the lineups are the Woven 8a, and my backup is the Woven 12 Special Edition (i don't use it as my primary, because it's limited edition). Sometimes I bring the STB-8080+ with me to doubles games, because that racket lets me operate with a lot of finesse :cool: I'm primarily a doubles player, though even in singles I can make due with the Woven 8. The Woven 8 and 12 both play a lot like an MP99 or Cab30ms, in my opinion.

In north america there's www.racketsportsmontreal.ca who can help you out with getting your hands on a SOTX:rolleyes:.

20. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    i agree with you. it's really great when playing net and near-net, but i can't muster enough power from the back court. :)