User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    I've checked and it is stated as 55 deg F.

So it seems that one should store the shuttles in a not too hot or too cold place in order to retain the mositure and natural oil in the goose feathers and keep them from becoming dry and brittle resulting in a shorter playing life!
    I think it is a typo error on the article's part. Just look at the sentence you quoted :

"3. Shuttles should be kept in a slightly damp atmosphere and in a temperature not exceeding 55 degrees F. They shoud NEVER be stored in a dry cupboard or in any location which is centrally heated."

It stated "not exceeding 55 deg F". So it can't mean that doesn't it?

By the way just to add about storing the shuttle in the fridge before play, do keep it with the caps tightly closed. I'll try to figure out the logic on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question maximizing the life of shuttles

hi all,
    Any tips can you guys give me in maximizing the life of feather birds? I've heard of steaming, but how is it actually being done?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackson_ngo
    hi all,
    Any tips can you guys give me in maximizing the life of feather birds? I've heard of steaming, but how is it actually being done?

Thanks
    This is what this thead is about. Read the entire thread. also check out these threads:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...aming+shuttles

and loads more in this simple search:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...earchid=175700

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sTeamIng.....-It WoRks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    From my own experiences, steaming or dipping is the best method. I t guess i can get what you're getting at by 'warming up the birds', but I don't think it is true that birds last longer if you warm them up.. they're not made out of live muscle tissue or anyhting, and there are no articulated parts. Hitting them doesn't make them significantly warmer.

Personally, I think your observations are probably a psychological thing on the part of you and your opponents... maybe by warming up gently with the birds, you all get into the habit of hitting better shots (rather than a violent warmup where you just getting into the habit of smacking things silly).

As to the fridge, I think that's a tad unadvsiable. Sure, suggestions are to keep shuttles cool... but a fridge, if it's too cold, can also dehydrate your shuttles. I doubt you mean a freezer, but if a freezer can take give food freezerburn and totally suck all the water out of an inch thick slab of meat that's packaged, you can imagine what an overcold process leads in terms of thin shuttle feathers.

It's actually not 'wrong' to keep shuttles in a warmer place, assuming by warmer it also means more humid. Personally, I tend to leave my shuttles in the bathroom, hooked on the shower curtain the day before I play and by the time everyone's taken their showers at night, they're steamed and ready to go.

Just keep in mind that on the flipside, overhydrating is not good for shuttles either... by 'dipping shuttles overnight', you should be dipping them for a few seconds each in warm water, not letting them soak all night. (Keep the corks out of the water, only feathers go in). Shuttles that have been overhydrated fly like rocks, especially if you soak the corks too.

It goes without saying that it could also be a question of bird quality too... duck feather birds tend to be less durable than goose feathers, though the prices are proportional.

Yup I agree to that..corks will absorb water and thus very heavy..But I don't know whether those overhydrated birdies will break the strings of the racket..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok.. this is what we do and it works like a charm. Its a modified steaming though.

- Remove all the birds from the tube, fill the tube with water and close both the ends.

- After 5 mins, spill the water and put the birds back into the tube.

- Keep the tube in vertical position (cork ends up).

- Use the birds for next day.

Please post your experiences

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to steam/dip shuttles, but now I don't bother.

If you get it right, you can probably extend the life of your shuttles slightly -- or, if you bought some very brittle ones, quite a lot.

The trouble is, you can also get it wrong. I've had hydrated shuttles shrivel up, with the feathers shrinking and going hard. I've had some that get soft and stay soft -- they don't break, but they don't fly crisply either. They feel mushy.

On the whole, I think hydrating is more useful for cheaper shuttles, or shuttles that have obviously gone brittle. Hydrating top-quality shuttles that are in perfect condition is asking for trouble -- unless, of course, you really know what you're doing

If you have a humid place to store them, that's great. But if not, just make sure they are kept away from extremes of temperature -- don't leave them in direct sun, and don't leave them in your car boot on a frosty night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering...if all we need to do to increase its life is keep it humid, would it be okay to just leave all the shuttles in the bathroom with the caps off the tubes?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
    I'm just wondering...if all we need to do to increase its life is keep it humid, would it be okay to just leave all the shuttles in the bathroom with the caps off the tubes?

yes..that should work to an extent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and that extent being...?

what if I just display them proudly around my bathroom? ...then just grab a couple lying around and throw em into a tube before I run off to the courts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just make sure you don't take a dump before your badminton game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ding it! Master Stevenator knows something about dumping and steaming shuttles that the average BF'ers don't know about .

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    Just make sure you don't take a dump before your badminton game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on where you live. In drier environment, steaming is essential. Other than that, it's just a matter of how often you hit it right on the spot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    ding it! Master Stevenator knows something about dumping and steaming shuttles that the average BF'ers don't know about .
    I stink, not the shuttle...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Fellow BCBF members,

Many of you ask how to prolong the shuttle's life. My fist suggestion is not to miss hit. However, many of us who live in North America and Europe do not have the humid weather that is good for shuttle's life in SE Asia. So, some methods to keep shuttles hydrated is needed and being used. There are method of steaming the shuttle, dip the feather in water, keep the shuttle in bathroom and other methods. If you don't know those method, seek and ye should find.

Wilson developed a new "Smart Tub Lid" to keep feather hydrated. This is a pattern Wilson filed. However, there is a "Prior Art" they might not known before. Anyway, I just want to share a DIY method we have been using since we were kids. You can be the judge.

Picture 1. Wilson shuttle tube.
    Picture 2. Same tube with upper lid
    Picture 3. Wilson "Smart Tube Lid"

Picture 4. Victor shuttle tube and paper napkin.
    fold paper napkin into small piece so it will fit into the lid.
    Picture 5. Tape the folded paper napkin onto the lid and add water. Shake off the extra water. Just add water when the napkin is dry.
    I added some mouthwash to get the contrast and keep microbs growing on the napkin. From trial and error, I find the best tape for this DIY is clear nurse tape (3M Transpore about $3-$5 USD) that you can buy from local drug store. Why? because this tape is water resistant.

Good luck and have fun enjoy badminton.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steam it,or drip it with water before u play.Not too long/much,as it'll affect the bird's performance.Avoid using ur sweat,since it'll only helps momentarily n will break the feathers off faster,since it's salty.Also,of course,hitting only cork,n not the feathers helps alot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smichz View Post
    Steam it,or drip it with water before u play.Not too long/much,as it'll affect the bird's performance.
    Tried humidifying the birds in the box for 24 hrs which f****d them all. So our conclusion is humidifying/steaming the birds 30 mins before the play is ideal.

Method - same as described in my above post.

Moisten the bird box from inside with water.
    Dip the birds in water for 5-10 secs (excluding the horizontal thread and the cork) and put them back in the moistened box.
    Keep the box vertical with corks at top and feathers at bottom for 30 mins, just before play.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3