User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the following website http://www.shuttlecock.com/Resources...ck/hydrate.phpI've tried them with my shuttlecocks and it works, my shuttlecocks seems to last longer, hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esiong
    check out the following website http://www.shuttlecock.com/Resources...ck/hydrate.phpI've tried them with my shuttlecocks and it works, my shuttlecocks seems to last longer, hope this helps.
    Perhaps I misunderstood the past posts. I thought you guys said leave them in water overnight or such. Keeping the feathers moist would seem logical but one should completely dry it before usage as the extra moisture can distort the flight pattern of the bird. However, I see no significant use of putting plastic birds in showerrooms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manduki
    Perhaps I misunderstood the past posts. I thought you guys said leave them in water overnight or such. Keeping the feathers moist would seem logical but one should completely dry it before usage as the extra moisture can distort the flight pattern of the bird. However, I see no significant use of putting plastic birds in showerrooms.
    Sorry i didn't specify, the showerroom thing is for feather birds only. Note that it's also the "lazy guy's method", since steaming like that will slightly affect the cork too (which you don't generally want, unless your birds are too light).

As far as I know, there isn't really any maintenance procedure for nylons, beyond the care that you'd attribute for the corks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    Shuttles that have been overhydrated fly like rocks, especially if you soak the corks too.
    This is what exactly happened when I steamed the birds for the first time. It was a bad experience for me. The birds were flying like rocks as you said. My brother was very annoyed about it. It'll be the first and last time I'll ever steam the birds. It was a dozen of expensive birds too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speedy
    This is what exactly happened when I steamed the birds for the first time. It was a bad experience for me. The birds were flying like rocks as you said. My brother was very annoyed about it. It'll be the first and last time I'll ever steam the birds. It was a dozen of expensive birds too.
    In the humid climate of Southeast Asia, you probably do not need to steam the shuttles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried dipping water once, and mould grew on the shuttles. It smelled really bad..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it also depends on the season.supposing it's summer and really really hot the shuttle tends to become brittle,then steaming it should definitely help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally quoted by Yogi :
    "I am sorry about the fridge. When i mean keep them in the fridge, i actually meant not store them but just keep them about 1/2an hour to1 hour before game time. NEver store the birds in the fridge."

Thanks for this info. I knew that suggestions coming from you would be a sound one. This really works.
    Last edited by speedy; 03-03-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tagsports Website on Storing Feather Shuttles

You can find some useful info from Tagsports website: www.tagsports.co.uk on "Storing Feather Shuttles.

Just to summarize and reproduce some of the salient points for convenience:

1. The best shuttlecock feathers being goose feathers, contain moisture and natural oil which keeps them strong and supple to withstand 'blows' from rackets.

2. Exposure to heat or low humidity will quickly reduce the moisture and natural oil content in the feathers, making them dry and brittle with a shorter playing life.

3. Shuttles should be kept in a slightly damp atmosphere and in a temperature not exceeding 55 degrees F. They shoud NEVER be stored in a dry cupboard or in any location which is centrally heated.

4. They should NEVER be stored in a refrigerator nor warmed in front of a fire. Exposure to heat will not only dry the feathers out but will also dry out the cork base. If this happens the base may well go out of shape which distorts the ring of feathers and trouble with true flight follows.

5. The length of flight of a shuttlecock is affected by changes of temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure. A shuttercock will fly further in a hot court than in a cold court and it will also fly much further at a height 5,000 feet than it will at sea level. It is necessary, therefore, to provide a wide choice of shuttlecocks of different lengths of flight so that shuttlecocks of the correct speed, as laid down in the Laws of Badminton, can be made available whatever the playing conditions may be.

So advocates of the refrigerator treatment, etc, please take careful note of the above facts so that you will not damage your feather shuttles unnecessarily!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    3. Shuttles should be kept in a slightly damp atmosphere and in a temperature not exceeding 55 degrees F. They shoud NEVER be stored in a dry cupboard or in any location which is centrally heated.
    Hi Loh,

55 deg F (=12 deg C) is pretty cold. I think the article meant 55 deg C.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    Sorry i didn't specify, the showerroom thing is for feather birds only. Note that it's also the "lazy guy's method", since steaming like that will slightly affect the cork too (which you don't generally want, unless your birds are too light).

As far as I know, there isn't really any maintenance procedure for nylons, beyond the care that you'd attribute for the corks.
    It might sound geeky. I tried to leave my shuttle stack up 6 in a column and put them on the bathroom counter. It did make the birdy last a little longer (1hr vs 45min) I don't do that any more because we use up at least 2 tubs for 8 courts every time we play. For people live in Asia, I will suggest not to try anything because it is already wet and hot already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So advocates of the refrigerator treatment, etc, please take careful note of the above facts so that you will not damage your feather shuttles unnecessarily!
    I think there's some misconception here. Storing the birds in the fridge for 1 hour before playing would do wonders. It can be said that the bird's life is almost doubled and the flight is breathtaking Try it !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    Hi Loh,

55 deg F (=12 deg C) is pretty cold. I think the article meant 55 deg C.
    Yes, 55 deg F is pretty cold, but 55 deg C is pretty hot too, when Singapore's temperture is around 30 deg C.

I think they meant not to keep the shuttle in too cold a temperture as in a fridge. 12 deg C therefore may seem to be too cold. Anyway I'll check the article again for any typo error.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speedy
    I think there's some misconception here. Storing the birds in the fridge for 1 hour before playing would do wonders. It can be said that the bird's life is almost doubled and the flight is breathtaking Try it !
    Maybe 1 hour is all right to prevent the feathers from being too dry? But watch the cork to ensure that it doesn't soaked in too much moisture to distort its shape!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day,

I am bound to answer because i was one of the people who advocated keeping the birds in the fridge. I came back and corrected saying that it was NEVER meant to be STORED but just kept there 30mins to an hour before to ensure the bird is ok for games.This worked for me (when i was in Madras) a place like singapore (Hot and Humid). I think Speedy would second me on that. I think the article is generally guide and more directed towards places that are NOT as Humid as ours.

I presently live in Melbourne and probably i would steam the birds if i was to play here. But i still stand by the idea of sticking the bird into the fridge for 30mins or so before you play the game (for very humid countries). As you said, the cork plays a very important part and depending on the brand of the shuttles you need to arrive at a optimum time for refridgeration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn
    U know i have recently just tried this little test.on most ooccasions we use a realtively old shuttle to warm up and then a new one for the game.instead i tried warming up with a new shuttle[just gentle tosses and drops for a minute or 2 without smashes]and till now the shuttles have lasted way longer than before[this worked well for all the types of shuttles i tried including yonex aerosena] .i believe this tossing actually warms up the shuttle,so it lasts longer.instead if one uses a new shuttle straight away and starts smashing from the very first point it is bound to get broken soon.
    It might be that you have warmed up differently rather than something is different about the shuttle.

because you are warming up with a new shuttle you may be paying more attention to hitting properly.

So when you start the game you are actually playing better, rather than the shuttle

<just a theory>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, 55 deg F is pretty cold, but 55 deg C is pretty hot too, when Singapore's temperture is around 30 deg C.

I think they meant not to keep the shuttle in too cold a temperture as in a fridge. 12 deg C therefore may seem to be too cold. Anyway I'll check the article again for any typo error.
    I've checked and it is stated as 55 deg F.

So it seems that one should store the shuttles in a not too hot or too cold place in order to retain the mositure and natural oil in the goose feathers and keep them from becoming dry and brittle resulting in a shorter playing life!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast